What's new

8 is enough! Errrr…I mean is 8000 enough?

Hey folks,

I know there are many many variables, but in general: for maintaining a blade that’s already “shave ready”…is using a strop (daily), 0.25-micron paste, 1-micron paste (for touch ups every few months) and a 3-micron/8000 mesh stone (once or twice a year) sufficient enough for lifetime use?

Can I assume that anything “grittier” is only necessary for razors that are chipped, damaged or not pre-honed?

Thanks!
Mike

If your razor is truly shave ready a plain leather and maybe cloth strop is all you need for daily use. For touchups an 8K hone should give you a pretty good shaving edge. Of course many like something more refined and so go with a 12K or higher. Other than that the possibilities are endless as far a hones and pasted strops go.

If your razor is truly shave ready a plain leather and maybe cloth strop is all you need for daily use. For touchups an 8K hone should give you a pretty good shaving edge. Of course many like something more refined and so go with a 12K or higher. Other than that the possibilities are endless as far a hones and pasted strops go.

+1. If all I had was an 8K, I would be able to get by fine. However, it's easier to get a comfortable edge off of the higher grit stones.

Not like your stuck on a desert island where you absolutely, positively must fend for yourself. Buy a higher grit stone and make someone else do the grunt work at the lower levels of grit if its ever necessary because you dropped the razor or bought a new one that needs a new honing.

Top Bottom