What's new

Chicken & Dumplings

A true comfort food. I plan to make this for our dinner on Christmas Eve. Pass on your recipe please!

Randy

Last edited:
DOH! I meant, what's your recipe? :blushing:

I make forty clove garlic chicken and use French bread for dumplings....

LOL! Use a 3-4 lb chicken. Cut into the classic 8 pieces. Cover with an extra inch of water and bring to a boil. Then simmer(covered) until done, usually 1 hour to 1.25 hours. Remove the chicken and cool. Pull the chicken off the bone ala "pulled pork" style. Add 3 tablespoons of flour for a thickening agent. Make a biscuit dough and add back in teaspoon amounts. I also add two cloves of "garlic paste". My dad uses canned biscuits breaking each biscuit into 5 pieces. Simmer until done and then season with a little salt and a lot of fresh cracked pepper. Toss the chicken meat back into the mix. I also add a bit of Tabasco or crushed pepper flake.

I'm just looking for something new.

Randy

This is one of my favorite winter meals. My Grandmother always made the very best chicken and dumplings. I look forward to your recipes!

I don't think I've ever even had this...that's what I get I guess for growing up deprived in the Great White North. Salmon and seal cakes with maple syrup for us, 5 days a week. Weekends was back bacon and Kokanee beer. I liked weekends.

I am going to have to try this one out. :thumbup1:

Oooh, I cheat when I make this, but it turns out really goood!

Make a chicken stock, up to 4 hours.

add chicken, add vegetables, add cream of chicken soup (thickening agent, and salt) and for my dumplings, i use just premade biscuit dough out of a can :p

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This is the time of year for comfort food. :drool:

Dumplings:

1½ Cups of flour
¾ Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Baking powder
¼ Cup Butter (or margarine)
1 Cup Milk (or as much to make the dumpling as liquid as you like . . . I like them to be fairly gloopy)
1 Bunch Chopped fresh parsley or Thyme (for me about 3 Tbsp of parsley or a couple of Tsp. of Thyme works)

Stayed with my usual recipe. The girls loved it enough to have two bowls each! This rates right up with a good stew for winter comfort food!

Randy

Just saw this post. Chicken and Dumplings have been our Christmas Day lunch/dinner traditional meal for at least a decade (probably closer to 2 - which makes my next statement even more embarrassing). Though I'm embarrassed to say, I've never participated in the dumpling making process. (I know, shame on me :blushing:) My kitchen duties are confined to cooking the chicken and shredding it. I don't go to the trouble of cutting the chicken up, just plop the whole thing in the pot, after removing the skin. I include the neck bones and "innards" when provided. We have also made it with only boneless/skinless breasts. We love this meal!

After the de-boning process I toss all of the bones back into a pot add water and cook down. I then do a more thorough bone pickin' and use the meat and chicken stock to add to our She-Boxer's daily kibble.

I don't think I've ever even had this...that's what I get I guess for growing up deprived in the Great White North. Salmon and seal cakes with maple syrup for us, 5 days a week. Weekends was back bacon and Kokanee beer. I liked weekends.

I am going to have to try this one out. :thumbup1:

OK....I think you are going to have to officially surrender your avatar. :001_tt2:

Top Bottom