What's new

Allow me to introduce myself......and please help me out.

Hello everyone. My name is Matt and while I have browsed this great site several times, I finally decided to register because I need some advice from the pros. I am simply unable to get consistently close shaves. I have tried different blades and different razors as well as different creams and soaps. Sometimes I get an okay shave, but most often it is sub-par. I think this may be due to the fact I have a very heavy, thick beard and I do not have a razor aggressive enough to tackle it. What do you guys think about this? I am considering possibly trying an open comb razor as from what I have read, they provide a more aggressive shave. But I wanted to hear some professional opinions before I invest in one. All advice and ideas are appreciated. Thanks.....

-Matt

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What is your routine Matt?
I mean as far as prep, and what soap or cream your using.
Have you really mapped out your growth pattern and are dead certain you know which way the hair is growing on every part of your face?
How long have you been at it, and what seems to work better for you than other things?
It can be very frustrating when things don't go as expected, but diligence and patience does pay off.
It may be that you need something more aggressive, or it may be that some part of your routine or technique needs a bit of fine tuning.
This method of shaving has worked for many many years, and if you can get even mildly satisfactory shaves with a cart razor, you can certainly get a satisfactory shave with a DE.

Welcome!

It might be a good idea to pick one razor and stick with it for a while. Stick with the same type of blade and the same cream or soap for a little while, too. That should make it easier to polish your technique. When you do make changes, change one thing at a time.

What were you using the last time you got one of those "okay" shaves?

Both earlier posts are right on. Let us know what you have been doing before you started using a DE and what you are doing now. Patience is important when learning a new skill.

Sorry, definitely should have included what I am using. I have actually been DE shaving now for roughly a year believe it or not. Currently I am using...
*Proraso pre shave (the stuff in the little jar)
*a good quality badger hair brush from Crabtree and Evelyn
*kiss my face unscented cream lather (I do on the face lather, rather than in a bowl),
*long handle adjustable black Gillette safety razor
*And I like both 7AM and Feather blades

1 pass with the grain, 1 pass against the grain, and then a pass horizontally across my neck and chin area, followed by a clean up in whatever direction necessarily is my general routine. Anything after this just starts to burn up my skin and does little to gain a smoother finish.

I have also used, with far less success......
Merkur 38c (not nearly aggressive enough)
A smaller Gillette silver adjustable (I think it is a slim)
Most of the main blades
And quite a few different creams and soaps (but have found the unscented kiss my face to be best, mostly because I have sensitive skin when it comes to scented or drying soaps.)

Thus being said, I am stuck.........that's why I am considering the open comb. Thanks again to all for any suggestions.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would try the pass across the grain second and keep against the grain last.

Welcome! I have no help to offer, as I am new to DE shaving, but I do enjoy watching the more experienced users jump in to lend a hand. In the small bit of browsing I have done I have avoided many mistakes that I would have made on my own. Hopefully you will get this sorted out.

Welcome!

It might be a good idea to pick one razor and stick with it for a while. Stick with the same type of blade and the same cream or soap for a little while, too. That should make it easier to polish your technique. When you do make changes, change one thing at a time.

What were you using the last time you got one of those "okay" shaves?

+1 and welcome

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would try the pass across the grain second and keep against the grain last.

+1
I think Luc has a major point here.

If your beard is in fact tough, going at it against the grain on a second pass is asking for trouble.
I agree with him, and in fact might suggest 2 with the grain passes, then an across the grain and finish up with an against the grain if needed, and finally just some blade buffing in places you might have missed.
The idea with wetshaving has always been hair reduction in stages, rather than taking a lot of hair off all at once.
Your tough beard may just make it necessary to make additional passes. a four pass shave is not unheard of with bristly hair.
Don't forget a full lather up between passes.

Also, as you like the proraso prep, have you tried the Proraso cream for sensitive skin?

Last edited:
welcome! I have no help to offer, as i am new to de shaving, but i do enjoy watching the more experienced users jump in to lend a hand. In the small bit of browsing i have done i have avoided many mistakes that i would have made on my own. Hopefully you will get this sorted out.

+1

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sorry, definitely should have included what I am using. I have actually been DE shaving now for roughly a year believe it or not. Currently I am using...

1 pass with the grain, 1 pass against the grain, and then a pass horizontally across my neck and chin area, followed by a clean up in whatever direction necessarily is my general routine. Anything after this just starts to burn up my skin and does little to gain a smoother finish.

Thus being said, I am stuck.........that's why I am considering the open comb. Thanks again to all for any suggestions.

You didn't mention what you do to prep?

Whenever I want a really close shave I go with an open comb, currently a merkur hd; however a $10.00 old gillette will work as well.

I do find that after a week or two of open comb use, I have to drop back to a gillette adjustable or schick de for a less agressive shave to let my skin "recover"

even though I am listed as a newbie or knobie or doobie on this board I have been wet shaving for 50 years and since my latest retirement I have bought and sold hundreds of razors and used many of them.

good luck and you will find the right combination of what works

ken

You didn't mention what you do to prep?

+1 If you post your prep routine, people here will be able to comment on it.

In addition, I would say, check your blade angle. With incorrect blade angle, the blade will just not be able to cut properly. Finally, you say you go WTG, ATG etc.. have you examined carefully the direction in which the hair grows? What you think is WTG may not necessarily be, if the hair grows in a different direction in that area.

Not an authority - just 3 months into DE shaving but everybody I see with thick beard/lather building problems I tell about my experience with baking soda. I build lather in a bowl and a a little into the water in the bowl. Doing this totally eliminated the upper lip tugging and skipping I'd experience before. I think it does two things; soften the water and act as a lubricant like the clay that's added to soaps. I'm not sure how to incorporate this into your face building routine but if you can try it I think you'll be surprised.

Top Bottom