What's new

Help With Buying a Strop from SRD

Before stepping up to a Tony Miller strop (apparently he won't have any available for sale until January anyway), I'm probably going to order a Razor/Strop combo from SRD. What kind of strop should I get? A 2" or 3", and what kind of backing - matched webbing, herringbone weave, or hardpressed wool felt? I'm a total noob. So this will be the strop I learn on and figure out what works for me.

Have you thought about a Filly strop for 20 bucks from Ken to hold you over for the TM? For your strop questions, 2 inch requires and X pattern while 3 inch won't. The felt is for pastes or sprays like the diamond ones to help maintain the edge. I haven't used the strap (described like a seatbelt) or the Herringbone which has sounded like it left a lot to be desired. So have you thought about the Filly? :blushing:

I would agree with Leche. If you are set on getting a TM strop when he has some more available, a filly is a better bet for the meantime.

Another route would be a SRD paddle.. it is easier to strop especially for a noob on a paddle than a traditional strop. And the SRD paddle is made beautifuly, i have one

Another vote for TM when you are ready to graduate from the Filly.

2.5" cotton/horsehide would be my choice.
I have the 3" latigo/horsehide, and a shell strop for the linen/cotton section.
The 3" latigo has tons and tons of draw, the horsehide is slick like a skating rink, so there is much less resistance. Some like lots of draw, some like very little, but the end result on your edge should be very similar.

Also while you don't have to do an x pattern with the 3" wide, sometimes I think it's helpful to use the thinner strop with an x-pattern stroke especially with a smiling blade. I'm not sure the whole edge is getting stropped evenly when doing a straight pass on a 3" wide strop.

Yay! My Filly arrived today. And I immediately sliced my index finger while trying to pick an arm-hair off the strop and forgetting that I'm holding the razor with the other hand. And I was able to strop the Genco and got a nice shave with my Arko stick.

I'm tempted to shake Don & Lynn for a cheap 2nd razor while they still have that honing deal.

Top Bottom