What's new

Just got my blankity Blanks brushead!!

And I'm applying coats of CA to the handle at this moment. As soon as it's done I'll take some pictures. The handle is quite large but I really like the look of the green stone that I've used for it.

So more to come.

I got their best grade, Silvertip anyway. It's very nice. I got a 22mm knot. I haven't used it yet. But I'll probably do so tomorrow mornging even though the handle won't be done by then. I just really want to test it out.

Dying to know the quality of them. Please report here with pics and consider a genuine review in the review section.

Thanks!

Once the brush is completely done (in a few days) I will. You have to keep in mind however that this is the first time I've ever spent any real money on a brush. My other brush is a Kent 50/50 (meaning 50%badger/50% boar). So I'll test the knot on it's own for the first time tomorrow and once it's on the handle a real review will come this way.

Once the brush is completely done (in a few days) I will. You have to keep in mind however that this is the first time I've ever spent any real money on a brush. My other brush is a Kent 50/50 (meaning 50%badger/50% boar). So I'll test the knot on it's own for the first time tomorrow and once it's on the handle a real review will come this way.

LX I have a couple handles that I have been meaning to order plugs for. What did you use to secure the plug into the handle? Please post up the steps on how the actual adhesion of plug to handle go. I haven't ordered because I haven't figured out the right materials and technique yet.

Thanks!

Alex,

I cannot wait to see your brush! Very excited about it.

Charlie,

To mount the brush head into a handle I suggest that you use the longest setting epoxy that you can find. At the risk of giving away trade secret I use a 24 hour set golf club epoxy. The longer the set time in general the more stable and durrable the epoxy is. I am not speaking out of my arse here. That was actually my senior design project in college. I had a paper published in The Journal of Adhesion on my work. Epoxy (while not supposed to) can degrade over time especially when subjected to cyclical heating (ie Shaving, heating the brush and then cooling).

LX I have a couple handles that I have been meaning to order plugs for. What did you use to secure the plug into the handle? Please post up the steps on how the actual adhesion of plug to handle go. I haven't ordered because I haven't figured out the right materials and technique yet.

Thanks!

It's not secured yet. The handle isn't finished quite yet. I'm still applying coats of CA in order to make the stone scratch proof. The stonetype I used is a very soft one. It's very much prone to scratching. So I'll be applying more CA over the next few days, then sanding and drillling a hole for the plug and THEN I'll be ready to set it.

WA,

24 Hour cure time (mistyped in the last one). I think that 24 hour cure time usually has a working time of 30 minutes to an hour. I guess that my post is just to say do not go and get 5 minute epoxy as it suffers more due to cyclical heating and is also more brittle.

I got mine from golfsmith and it has a working time of about an hour (great when you are doing a full set of clubs).

Here we go...if this works.

Cool... So, is that hand carved stone? I was picturing a lathe turned symmetrical item, but I really like the raw look of that.

Plus, my preference is for inline photos using the B&B system.... I personally hate image shack, and being forced to do a "flyby"... :smile:

-S

Cool... So, is that hand carved stone? I was picturing a lathe turned symmetrical item, but I really like the raw look of that.

Plus, my preference is for inline photos using the B&B system.... I personally hate image shack, and being forced to do a "flyby"... :smile:

-S

Yes that is handcarved. Let me enlighten a little about the process.

I bought a piece of soapstone in a colour that I liked. It's a lightish green type of stone with whitish grains through it. I I'd done some stonecarving a year ago when I'd made a present for my (now) wife. Took me a month at the time during which I reduced an 18 kilo stone to a 3,5 kilo statue. I worked on it for at least an hour and a half with hammer, chisels, files, rasps and finally sandpaper.

Pretty much the same process was used for this piece of stone with one major difference. The stone was a lot harder. If you look at the pictures you'll see some blackish flecks in some places. Those are some kind of quarts pieces in the stone that were even harder. I almost destroyed on of my chisels on one of those piece and gave them up in exchange for a file. I gave it the right shape.

Now in all honesty I'd have liked it to be a little more round but since the stone and the quarts flecks were so hard to work with I'm accepting this size.

Once finished I applied a number of coats of CA (somewhere around 6-7) and then drilled the hole for the knot with a dremel.

Once the hole was in place I started sanding down the CA up to 2000 grit with water.

I glued the knot in with a 2 component epoxy and the result as you see it is my brush.

It's a 22mm knot made by http://www.blankity-blanks.com/brushes.htm that feels wonderfull and soft on the face (I used it without the handle this morning. They call the hair quality "Premium Grade Silver Tipped Badger Brush Heads" and although I don't have any high quality brushes to compare it to I really love the stuff. Now that the brush has been used it's "bloomed" very nicely. It looked a bit small to me before I used it but it doesn't now.

I love my brush.

Someone asked me when I'd be opening a store...well. I don't think I'll be opening the "store" anytime soon. This took me a LOT of time and I'd want to be compensated for that. That would make the brush a very expensive brush.

And sorry about the photo's. I'll have a look at the B&B system next time.

No problem. Next time, just click the paperclip icon to open a new window and upload a pic. Close that window and then click the paperclip again and choose the pic name. An image tag referencing your picture will be dropped into your message and you are ready to go.

-S

What's CA??
I made 2 bushes using Blankity blanks brush head, I used the premium and found them to be very soft. The only other brush I have to compare is a $35 Shavemac.
I used a 24 hr epoxy and coated both surfaces. I also wrapped the brush head with masking tape so I wouldn't get epoxy on the hair.
How long did David Borek keep you on the phone, he's quite a talker but if your a wood turner you can learn a lot from him. I've been using mine for about 6 months and they're still in perfect condition. If you don't like a really soft brush I would get the Select grade instead of the premium grade.

Alex,

That is absolutely amazing. I really like the looks of that.

How heavy is the soapstone? How is the feel of the brush in you hand?

Overall that is really cool.

Cooncatbob,

CA is Cyano Acrylate or super glue!

Top Bottom