What's new

30 days with a single Mach 3 cartridge

While I realize I may go down in flames from the cartridge-haters because of this thread, here goes.

Background: I started shaving as a kid with a DE about 50 years ago. Over the years I have used about every type of razor Gillette has made since then. I have used a badger brush and soap for more than 40 years (don't really recall exactly when I started), so I have considerable experience in this regard.

I have been using a Mach 3 since it came out. I have to say that I do like it. I consistently get very good results with this razor.

I have posted elsewhere, in response to a thread concerning how many shaves people get from a blade, saying that I use a cartridge for 15 days. This is two pass shave, plus a little touch up, every day. I change cartridges on the 1st and 15th of the month. In the distant past, I used them for up to a month. So, on the 16th, I began my journey toward 30 days on the same cartridge.

It may sound strange, but that shave was the best one I have gotten in a long time. It was truly BBS and no irritation at all. It was so smooth that I could barely feel any stubble by that night and almost didn't need a shave by morning. I was surprised.

Shaves on the 17th and this morning (the 18th) were also close and comfortable, but my GF did say she saw a red mark on my chin, although I could not feel anything.

If I am not run off B&B for this, I will post periodical updates on my quest to go for a month on the same blade.

EDIT: I neglected to mention that I am using Williams soap for this little experiment, but I'm getting low, so it may not last to the end. Also, if the going gets too rough, I will resort to better soap, maybe Trumper's Rose to get me through.

Last edited:
I'm interested in seeing how it goes for you.

How to clean it? Dry it? Seems like there's a lot of variables that might affect how long it lasts.

I'm interested in seeing how it goes for you.

How to clean it? Dry it? Seems like there's a lot of variables that might affect how long it lasts.

My quick answer is that I believe in the power of prep. Just as proper preparation and good lather make for a closer and more comfortable shave, they also promote blade longevity.

I'm not sure what you mean about cleaning. I rinse the razor frequently as I shave then just rinse in hot water and shake off the moisture when I'm finished. That's all I do.

My quick answer is that I believe in the power of prep. Just as proper preparation and good lather make for a closer and more comfortable shave, they also promote blade longevity.

I'm not sure what you mean about cleaning. I rinse the razor frequently as I shave then just rinse in hot water and shake off the moisture when I'm finished. That's all I do.

When I used cartridges they seemed to get gummed up, may have been the cream though. Wondered if you pat dry or air dry etc, now I see!:001_smile

How long does the green strip last? They seemed to be long gone after about a week for me.

They lasted me only a week or so. Though now that I have refined my prep a lot, I have not gone back to the cartridge, it would be interesting to try that.

I agree with proper prep making a difference, but 30 days on the same cartridge? Are you a masochist? I could never do that on a Mach3.

I agree with proper prep making a difference, but 30 days on the same cartridge? Are you a masochist? I could never do that on a Mach3.

I think that prep is half the battle with cartridges. Canned goo does nothing to protect your face. That said, I can only get a week of comfortable shaves from cartridges. It then becomes a test of endurance.

I could go 5 shaves with a fusion if I was shaving my whole face. When I grew a goatee I could go a lot longer. I sometimes wonder how long I could use a cartridge for now. But I like my razors way too much to go back to the cartridge.

We didn't run off Sluggo for using an electric razor, we aren't going to run you off either.:001_tt2:

...I have posted elsewhere, in response to a thread concerning how many shaves people get from a blade, saying that I use a cartridge for 15 days. This is two pass shave, plus a little touch up, every day. I change cartridges on the 1st and 15th of the month. In the distant past, I used them for up to a month. So, on the 16th, I began my journey toward 30 days on the same cartridge.

It may sound strange, but that shave was the best one I have gotten in a long time. It was truly BBS and no irritation at all. It was so smooth that I could barely feel any stubble by that night and almost didn't need a shave by morning. I was surprised.

Shaves on the 17th and this morning (the 18th) were also close and comfortable, but my GF did say she saw a red mark on my chin, although I could not feel anything.

If I am not run off B&B for this, I will post periodical updates on my quest to go for a month on the same blade.

I've been where you're going, and (at least for me) there was a very gradual reduction in shave quality, but not enough to not make my cheap-a**ed self put another cart in until the end of the month:blushing: - and we're talking shaving once a day for a whole CALENDAR month here, not just a wimpy 30 days!:scared:

I ventured into this admittedly bizarre territory because, even though I only used the basic M3 carts, it really stuck in my craw to shell out so much cash for them. I also hated those lube strips and would remove them by pushing them out from behind before using a new cart.

Long story short: I've since "devolved" into a Bump Fighter razor with Personna Twin II blades. At $0.35 per cart, I can now change the cart out once a week, get even better shaves with less irritation, and still come out ahead as far as cash goes.:001_smile

Keep the faith, and keep us informed of your progress. Remember, there was a B&B member recently who went electric for a whole month just as an experiment and he's still around, so you're not even CLOSE to us getting out the pitchforks and torches!:lol:

I too was able to use a cartridge razor for 2 to 4 weeks, but that was because they cost so much, I was reluctant to purchase any more than I needed to. This lead to days of no shaving and ingrown hairs when I did. It's healthier for me to use the DE and switch out the blade every 2-3 shaves (full head shaves). I've eliminated ingrown hairs and my skin breaking out has been diminished dramatically.

The initial cost was more, but in the long run, it's less expensive and better for me. I'll stick with DE's until I become brave enough to use a straight razor.

I agree with proper prep. I also think some whiskers are denser than others and dull blades quicker. I don't like the three and four blade cartridges because I find them difficult around the nose. However, I do use Sensor cartridges and get a better shave than I can get with the old Gillette DE blades. I don't know how others do so well with them. I either don't get a close shave or I get blood all over the sink and bathroom floor and end up in the emergency room... I have gotten a month from a sensor, but I was shaving every 2 to 3 days.

I used to routinely get 21 (three weeks) worth of shaves out of every Mach 3. Admittedly, the end-state shaves weren't as good, but they were okay.

Jeff in Boston

i got 6wks (minus 2 days) out of a Sensor XL and the only reason i stopped was it got a tad rough with an ATG pass under my chin. if i could get 5-6 wks out of every cartridge blade that would be less than $20 a year ..not bad.

when i used the canned stuff the blades didnt last near as long as using a good cream or soap. i actually get a little better shave with the XL than my SS. i think mainly because those little rubber fins stretching the skin. when i use a DE i dont do any stretching. im anal about that since i figure age and gravity will do enough of that why speed up mother nature.

I find it interesting that many of the posters in this thread, including the OP, seem to have been here for a very short time and that, as much as anything, may explain why you still get better shaves from your cartridges than DE razors. It can take a a bit of time get really good with a DE - and even after you have the technique down, there are a lot of variables (most important is razor and blade choice) that are highly personal and can only be sorted out by trial and error.

First off, I have tried every major brand/model of razor and do use cartridges when I'm in a rush or when I'm flying carry-on only, so I have no anti-cartridge bias. (Other than the fact that they cost waaaayyyyy too much - and I find it telling that several posters indicated that it was frugality that drove them to go longer with their cartridges, as opposed to because they were loving the shaves).

I also agree that prep is critical and that switching from goo in a can to a proper soap, cream or even a good brushless product significantly impacts the quality of a cartridge shave.

My experience is that the latest generation of multi-blade cartridges do last longer than the twin blade cartridges. That being said, the most I have ever gone with a single cartridge is about 9 or 10 shaves (I have a very coarse, heavy beard and require at least two passes with some touch up for a decent shave). Moreover, the last several shaves were less than comfortable as there had clearly been a deterioration in the sharpness of the blades. I also got more irritation and ingrowns the longer I used a cartridge.

Finally, while I can get decent to good shaves from a cartridge, I get consistently good to great shaves with my DE and SE razors. As a rule, a mediocre DE/SE shave is still as good, if not better than I get with a cartridge. In particular, I notice that the DE/SE shave lasts longer and I have less irritation.

So, I do think its possible to get 30 shaves from a modern cartridge, but I think that this is helped by having a light beard and a high tolerance for less than sharp blades.

I'm not dissing cartridge razors - I think folks should shave with what works best with them - but I think folks on this board who would be happy with 30 shaves from a cartridge are few and far between.

I could actually get a week and a half out of a Mach 3. I used those cartridges for about 3 years. When I switched to the Fusion I could only get about four shaves out of it. I can believe that some people can achieve two cartridges a month, but one seems a bit absurd. If I could do that I may never have found the need to go to DE shaving. Good luck with your endeavor, but I fear you may not make it. Anyway just keep us updated on your status.

Some, myself included, have found that DE blades are not always consistent in how long they last. I may use one for 5 shaves, and find the next one only lasts 3 shaves before it needs to be replaced. I believe the M3 cartridges are the same way, in that some would last a couple of weeks (not sure I ever saw 30 days, unless I just wasn't aware of that being the source of problems), and some were only good for a few days.

In any case, good luck with your endeavor!

:cool:

You know DE shaving is a 12 step program. I'm only at step 1, maybe you have already found what is best "for you". I'm happy for you and hopefully your journey will be fulfilling.

I had used a M3 for years before finding Badger and Blade. I started using a brush and mama bears shaving soap wife my M3 before my De razor came in, and I noticed a vast improvement over the can of goo.

Sorry to say, I have a very tough beard, and I can get a better BBS out of a M3 than using a DE any day. VMMV

I used to go 2 to 3 weeks on a fusion cartridge, shaving in the shower with high end canned goo. Got great shaves. When I was using a Mach 3, I'd get 3 to 4 weeks. I have a tough, full beard. Clogging can be a problem, but I found that backflusing the cart in the shower stream kept it cleaned up well.

So, why do I shave with a DE? Because I enjoy it.

I find it interesting that many of the posters in this thread, including the OP, seem to have been here for a very short time and that, as much as anything, may explain why you still get better shaves from your cartridges than DE razors. It can take a a bit of time get really good with a DE - and even after you have the technique down, there are a lot of variables (most important is razor and blade choice) that are highly personal and can only be sorted out by trial and error.

Your point is well taken, however, how long someone has been posting on this board may have no relation to how much they know about shaving. It is only an indication of how long they have been posting. That's all.

I also agree that prep is critical and that switching from goo in a can to a proper soap, cream or even a good brushless product significantly impacts the quality of a cartridge shave.

Absolutely correct, in my estimation. This holds true for all razors.

Finally, while I can get decent to good shaves from a cartridge, I get consistently good to great shaves with my DE and SE razors. As a rule, a mediocre DE/SE shave is still as good, if not better than I get with a cartridge. In particular, I notice that the DE/SE shave lasts longer and I have less irritation.

I am all for anyone who wants to shave with a DE or straight. Tradition and economy are good reasons for doing so, not to mention the satisfaction involved for the shaver. However, this is one of those YMMV areas where results are subjective. I have enjoyed shaving ever since I learned to lather soap with a badger. My shaves improved significantly with whatever I used at the time. At this point, I get great shaves (DFS & BBS as defined on B&B), without irritation, with the Mach 3 and doubt that anything could be an improvement. (I tried a Fusion, but found it was no better than the M3 and I did not like the large shaving surface.)

So, I do think its possible to get 30 shaves from a modern cartridge, but I think that this is helped by having a light beard and a high tolerance for less than sharp blades.

I'm not dissing cartridge razors - I think folks should shave with what works best with them - but I think folks on this board who would be happy with 30 shaves from a cartridge are few and far between.

I don't even know if I will be happy with 30 shaves from a cartridge, but I intend to find out. I do know that I am using all my experience to insure a good shave. So far, all is well.

Top Bottom