What's new

Does this mean what I think it means ...?

Hi folks,

I picked up an off auction--Gillette was misspelled, so it was out of the way--and I have two questions:

What exactly is it (I didn't see anything like it in the Wiki)?

and

Is the little cardboard "blade" indicative of NOS? It's also pristine, and certainly looks unused, but it wasn't packaged and there's only one blade in the included cardboard--not metal--blade box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260516863859

Whatcha think?

Looks like a Travel Tech to me. Could be NOS. You certainly didn't pay a lot for it.

It's basically a Tech with a short handle, meant to be taken on trips because it doesn't take up much room in your bag.

From what I've read on the boards, they're more fun collectibles than serious razors. My impression is that they're usable, but the little handle makes them a little difficult to shave with. At that price, it was a real find. I'd have jumped on that one if I'd come across it. I have to remember to keep misspellings in mind when hunting on eBay :wink2:

Hi folks,

I picked up an off auction--Gillette was misspelled, so it was out of the way--and I have two questions:

and

Is the little cardboard "blade" indicative of NOS? It's also pristine, and certainly looks unused, but it wasn't packaged and there's only one blade in the included cardboard--not metal--blade box.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260516863859

Whatcha think?

Yeah, the misspelled (and mislabeled) items slip right under the radar of most folks. "Gilette" and "razer" and the like don't pop up too often, but when they do ...

Oh ... crap ... did I just give away my one best secret?

Oh well ...

I have a Travel Tech like yours and I simply love it. One of the most underrated razors around (so much the better; like that their price doesn't reach high numbers :001_rolle)

From what I've read on the boards, they're more fun collectibles than serious razors. My impression is that they're usable, but the little handle makes them a little difficult to shave with. At that price, it was a real find. I'd have jumped on that one if I'd come across it. I have to remember to keep misspellings in mind when hunting on eBay :wink2:
i have to disagree with you, michael. i find the travel tech head a tiny bit more aggressive than the standard tech. It may just be the two i have, but they seem to be halfway between the tech and the feather portable. Ymmv

I don't think I hardly ever see any of those that aren't pretty much NOS and +1 on the disagreement about seriousness/usability.

Yeah, the misspelled (and mislabeled) items slip right under the radar of most folks. "Gilette" and "razer" and the like don't pop up too often, but when they do ...

Oh ... crap ... did I just give away my one best secret?

Oh well ...

Not to worry, it's not that big of a secret. Does cut out a large percentage, but lots of experienced eBayers have used this "trick" for a long time (one of my favorites too, and I've gotten some good deals that way, but also seen serious money spent for some items that you'd think would have been bargains).

I also feel they're just fine as a user. I have one and like it just fine. I just like variety so much, and love my collection of vintages, I'd be heard pressed to go on a trip with just this. But it comes along anytime I'm away over night.

It's a bit of a relief that it isn't anything special, even if it is NOS--:001_smile--that means I get to try it out!

I don't think I hardly ever see any of those that aren't pretty much NOS and +1 on the disagreement about seriousness/usability.

+1. I've seen a few of these with the cardboard spacer. It's like the guys think it's a great idea as a travel razor and then either stop traveling or forget to take it.

Len

I picked up a couple of these travel razors last year. On is in a vinyl case that zips, and the other is in a metal case with a small mirror. The head of the razor is the same as a Tech, however, the small handle requires the use of some pressure, as it lacks the heft and balance of a regular Tech. Once I practiced a few times, I can get excellent shaves with the Travel. I only use them for traveling though.

I used it this morning, and got an excellent shave--yes it takes a bit of pressure, but the short handle seems (for me, anyway) to give better blade control.

I definitely like it.

Thanks for checking the wiki! I've noted that we need a "Travel Tech" section on the main Gillette Tech page.

Almost certainly NOS. Gillette made a lot of travel sets like this one for promotional giveaways, and not many of them were used, or used heavily, for reasons already noted here.

Good score! Please take some nice pictures and upload them to the wiki so I can add them to the new entry on the Tech variants. :001_smile

Wow, that was fast!

By the time I read the post and started thinking about taking those pictures, an entry--with pictures--was already in the wiki ...

I'm loving this razor, BTW, and I've got a tech with a matching longer handle that I may cannibalize ... same head for home and travel, that way ...

Thanks for checking the wiki! I've noted that we need a "Travel Tech" section on the main Gillette Tech page.

Almost certainly NOS. Gillette made a lot of travel sets like this one for promotional giveaways, and not many of them were used, or used heavily, for reasons already noted here.

Good score! Please take some nice pictures and upload them to the wiki so I can add them to the new entry on the Tech variants. :001_smile

Top Bottom