What's new

McClelland Scotch opinions

Good afternoon gentlemen. I know many of you are also into Scotch Single malts as I am. I am hoping to get an answer to a question that I know many others have too. While browsing through your local liquor stores scotch collection I know you have looked down and seen McClellands range of plain looking cheap scotches and probably snubbed your nose to them as I have. I have recently been interested in value scotches after being impressed by Bowmores Legend offering. I normally stick to Islay malts such Arbeg, Lagavulin, Bowmore etc but I try to keep a selection of most regions. Nothing snobby but no gotrut. Has anybody tried McClelland from any region? I understand these are rebranded young offererings. They are tempting me seeing as they run $25 a bottle and I'm betting there's a gem SOMEWHERE in their range. Please give me any thoughts or experiences you've had. Thank you

When I first started into scotch, I tried each one. They are very immature , but give you a nice feel for the region. It was pretty easy for me to figure out that Islays are my favorite. I stick primarily to Caol Ila and Laphroaig now, but I recall McClellands being a reasonable glass for the price

I've tried both the Highland and the Islay and they led me to the same outcome: meh. In the affordable range I prefer Aberlour and Balvenie 10 year Founders Reserve. I agree wholeheartedly with your other tastes!

I've had the McClelland's Lowland (which is really Auchentoshan, from what I hear) and the Highland (probably Glen Garioch). I rather liked the Lowland and found it compared favorably to Auchentoshan's introductory "Classic" bottling. The Highland, however, whew... that was some rough stuff! :blink: I'm not a big Glen Garioch fan (their 8 has a similar edge) anyway, but I would give the McClelland's Highland malt a pass. One nice thing about ALL the McClelland's, though, is those pretty pictures on the bottles! :001_smile

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby they usually carry a brand called Finlaggan ($15 or so) which is an unnamed young Islay. I'm told they switch distilleries around, so it can be Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, etc. The bottle I had was a dead ringer for a young Lagavulin, a nice stout dram for the money. :thumbup1: You're right about the Bowmore Legend, I haven't had any in years but as I remember it was a good whisky for $20....

Top Bottom