What's new

GRAND OPENING of the Rolls Razor Social Group

Announcing the GRAND OPENING of the Rolls Razor Social Group.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/group.php?groupid=111

If you have a Rolls Razor or are thinking you may want to try shaving with a Rolls this is the Group for you.

The purpose of this group is to offer a place where those who have an interest in Rolls Razors can exchange information and knowledge on maintaining and use of this fine Vintage Piece of Shaving History.

Become a member

I would like to become a member of this group.

I have 14 Rolls razors and use them but can not get as good a shave as I get from a double edge.

I have much to learn.

And, perhaps, a trifle to teach.

Mickey Oberman

Good idea! I have a few Rolls, which I only use very occasionally. This may encourage me to use them more often.

I've seen them in the antique malls and always wondered about them...

But I can't follow your link: it's claiming that I need at least 50 posts (despite my current count being higher)

That is the response I got when I tried to enter this thread.

Then I just typed 'Rolls Razor Social Group' and Voila, here I am notebook in hand and an apple for the teacher.

This is now bookmarked.

Mickey

Last edited:
Do any of you reset your blades yourselves when they will no longer take an acceptable edge on the Rolls hone and strop?
Or do you send them to a 'sharpologist'?

I have been trying to rejuvenate my blades using Norton 4,000 and 8,000 then an Arkansas Translucent 13,000 stones. I can get a useable but very far from acceptable edge.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or not doing what I should?

When I have it done by a professional the blades come back as good as the very best double edge or straight razor blades.
But it does get to be expensive.

Mickey

Please count me in! For me the Rolls gives all the comfort of a straight with the manouverability of a safety and (with a shave ready blade) delivers an amazing shave that just can't be had any other way
But I too get the "do not have permission" message when I follow that link in the OP.

For info on honing and retrofitting the Rolls, this thread has lots of good stuff, especially regarding overlaying the case hone with lapping film and reconditioning and pasting the case strop:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/400451-New-Improved-21st-Century-Rolls-Razor!!

I think this belongs more in the safety razor forum but that being said I've honed a rolls on a jnat and a coticule and got a very acceptable edge

If Marcus is here, best count me in too or he'll get lonely :tongue_sm

Likewise, I think this would be best moved over to the 'Single Edge' forum since there is already a good chatter about Rolls Razors over there.

IDK, it's not really a safety razor. That guard is just there to protect the edge when you put the thing down.

I forget who figured it out, but someone measured the clearance of the spine in the case when honing and it was .015". Two layers of tape or thereabouts shoudl get you there I'd say.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Moving to clubs and brotherhood.

Social groups do not exist anymore, this is a bump from 2009...

I saw a rolls for sale in Perth yesterday for $30 But didn't really know anything about it. What should i look for to know if it's worth buying? I'm pretty new to shaving, never shaved with a DE but i've spent the last 3 months with a Gem 1912 and love it.

Rolls Razor sold literally millions of these things worldwide and so they are plentiful in excellent if not near mint condition.

Look for clean and bright example with a bright, clean strop and uncracked hone, then look at the blade. Any pitting, chipping or rust, leave it ... although blades are also easy enough to come by if the rest of the kit if okay.

Price? Well, British prices can be between £5 and £30 for a near mint example. Just look past anything which is not - again, there are plenty out there.

Oh man, count me in!...even though the link above rejects me, too, though both post count and date of entry should qualify me...? :-(

I actually received my first Rolls yesterday in the mail, and shaved with it within an hour of its arrival. Today again, after a little honing and stropping...and it is very, very nice, indeed. So if you can fix the link to admit me (and others, of course) I think I'll be interested in these razors for a good long while, and probably acquire some more, too.

Thanks!

Rolls Razor sold literally millions of these things worldwide and so they are plentiful in excellent if not near mint condition.

Look for clean and bright example with a bright, clean strop and uncracked hone, then look at the blade. Any pitting, chipping or rust, leave it ... although blades are also easy enough to come by if the rest of the kit if okay.

Price? Well, British prices can be between £5 and £30 for a near mint example. Just look past anything which is not - again, there are plenty out there.

I think some of my Rolls cost more to post than the actual razor cost. I agree with your pricing, though I have never bought a mint one - I go for the cheap end of the market and get perfectly good ones for under a tenner! There are some great bargains on the bay, postage puts a lot of people off.

Top Bottom