What's new

Astra Stainless vs. Astra Platinum?

What is the difference between the stainless and the platinum coated blades? The stainless comes in a blue wrapper and the platinum a green wrapper. I have used both and honestly can't tell the difference. I like them both and was thinking of getting 100 but don't know which ones to get. Theoretically I suppose the platinum coated should be smoother maybe? The platinum I understand are made in Russia but I don't know if the ss are. There is a eBay store over in Turkey, shaving shop, run by mymikado, that is really cheap, under 10 cents a blade. Anyone order from him? Seems like he has a good track record on eBay.
I am using the 39C, sledgehammer slant, and the asta's work really well. As good as the feathers I have and one third the price. I seem to get more shaves out of them than the feathers also. The first shave probably isn't as sharp as the feathers first shave but good, the second is about the same as the feather on the second shave, and the third is better than the feather. I usually only get 3 shaves out of a blade, sometimes 4. As soon as I feel or notice any pulling I change them out.
Any info on the astra's appreciated.

The superior platinum is a bit smoother, its one of my favourite blades ever. It goes great in any of my razors and its sharp enough for a great close shave.

L

luke1

I recently made a purchase of Astra Superior Platinums (my go to blade) from mymikado. Transaction went well, it did however, take over three weeks to arrive. It could be due to the holidays though. Wasn't a big deal to me.

I ordered some super plats from him recently, anxious to see what they're like since i've read good things about them here.

I really like the Platinums but I haven't tried the stainless I bought from that seller. Had a fine transaction with him though. Took about two weeks for shipping, though shipping time isn't his responsibility.

I have also purchased from mymikado. Good prices, but the blades took 3 weeks to get to Australia from Turkey.

Anyone else able to compare the Stainless vs. Platinums? I've only seen the Stainless locally, but they are hella cheap by the 100.

Anyone else able to compare the Stainless vs. Platinums? I've only seen the Stainless locally, but they are hella cheap by the 100.

I have only used one of the stainless I received so far. It was most excellent. Sharp, smooth, and long lasting. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more, except that I have several other brands I already have and want to try.

The platinums are smoother, that is for sure.

I also hear the Astra Keramiks are a nice blade, but seem to be in short supply.

I ordered 100 of the platinums before Christmas sometime ago and still haven't received them. Is this due to the fact that I live in Hawaii? Actually my brother ordered them for me because I don't have an ebay account.... Still waiting.

I ordered 100 of the platinums before Christmas sometime ago and still haven't received them. Is this due to the fact that I live in Hawaii? Actually my brother ordered them for me because I don't have an ebay account.... Still waiting.

Depends who you ordered them from and where they are. Some people ship right away and other wait a few days. Then if they are shipping from Turkey, it would take a couple weeks- longer than from a stateside shipper.

Don't feel bad though. My wife ordered a Christmas present for her father on ebay in mid November. Shipped out of China, finally arrived last week. Also, it didn't arrive through any official package delivery service (UPS, USPS, FEDEX, etc.) And to top it off, I am 99% sure it is counterfeit.

I'm always sketchy to order anything from China for that reason, and I ordered blades from that mymikado guy that others have. I'll give it some time and if it doesn't come soon then I'll start worrying because I'm almost out of decent blades to use. I don't want to have to go down to wal-mart and buy those personnas, and I don't want to order more only to have my previous order finally arrive.

I'm always sketchy to order anything from China for that reason, and I ordered blades from that mymikado guy that others have. I'll give it some time and if it doesn't come soon then I'll start worrying because I'm almost out of decent blades to use. I don't want to have to go down to wal-mart and buy those personnas, and I don't want to order more only to have my previous order finally arrive.

Patience is the key with low cost international shipping, so I have found. I wouldn't worry, given his feedback and my own and others experiences with him. I hope they arrive on time. I'd drop a pack of Astras in the mail for you but by the time they arrive in Hawaii from the east coast, you'll probably get your order.

Mmm, I will check thoroughly which kind of Astra blade I am using right now. Although it resulted in a very smooth shave both with my Parker 98R and Gillette Tech, it was a lownmower experience. Even with as little pressure applied as possible! Or maybe the first blade of the pack simply was a rogue...

Top Bottom