What's new

Anyone else been told not to say "Merry Christmas"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been told this. So now I say "Merry Christmas. Translate that to any holiday that you celebrate and appreciate the intent".

Randy

I say Merry Christmas (likely more out of habit than anything). However, if I said Merry Christmas and you don't agree simply don't respond. Or better yet, if I say Merry Christmas and you respond with Happy Chanukah (for example) I'll reply with Happy Chanukah out of respect for your beliefs. I don't see the point in being offended at something someone else says. Its how your respond that truly determines what is offensive.

This would be akin to me saying "blue" and you saying ":cursing::cursing::cursing: red :cursing::cursing::cursing:" Which is more offensive?

I am not offended at anyones beliefs (or lack thereof) and firmly believe it is my own reaction/interpretation that can be offensive. I firmly believe in to each his own.

Last edited:
When in Rome, do as the Roman do. Also watch your back. It is your choice as to where you choose to live and I don't think you can expect local custom and culture to change or to respect your beliefs.

Would you clarify this, please?

Do you really not recognize the implications of what you wrote or how chilling it sounds to someone who is not a member of the majority religious group?

Last edited:
So, we should participate in customs we do not approve of because most of the people around us are? You surely can not seriously mean that. I have deleted about five things that I want to say here because I don't want to contribute to anything I will regret. But seriously?

Yes I do, it isn't just a custom. In Christian Countries this is the religeon. This is the time that our saviour Jesus Christ was born and it is the time we celebrate the Christ Mass or Christmas.

The Christmas tree is decorated in celebration of the birth of Christ.

If you don't want your child to participate, don't put them in that situation but please do not disrespect the religious beliefs of a Christian Country or expect us to change our religion to accommodate you.

I hope that is clear. You are disrespecting my religeon and my way of life and that of my children. I would never do this to your beliefs.

Do you really not recognize the implications of what you wrote or how chilling it sounds to someone who is not a member of the majority religious group?

"Someone who is not a member of the majority religious group" is using the shaving forum to put down others religious views.

I don't agree with that and I wouldn't let anyone denegrate anyone elses religion on the forum.

So yes I chose strong and forceful words. Sorry if that wasn't very Christian of me but I was and still am more than a little annoyed.

"Someone who is not a member of the majority religious group" is using the shaving forum to put down others religious views.

I don't agree with that and I wouldn't let anyone denegrate anyone elses religion on the forum.

So yes I chose strong and forceful words. Sorry if that wasn't very Christian of me but I was and still am more than a little annoyed.

Are you referring to me? I don't think I've put down anyone else's religious views. If you think I have, please point me to the post.

For the record, I stated many times I am a Christian.

I understand your "rant".

This is Christmas time, and I will say Merry Christmas as long as I have enough breath left to say the words.

+1

I do not see the harm in using words that have been said for many a year. It seems to me it is getting where you have to worry about every word you say. If we are all that sensitive then i fear where we are heading. :001_smile

Hey guys you know what is amazing to me we as a group seem to get along better than any group of people i have ever been associated with. There are times when i ponder how much we seem do to for each other here. Razors, blades, creams and soaps are sent to one another sometimes free of charge. If one of us has a question we fall over ourselves trying to answer it.

It never ceases to amaze me what religion does to this world and i am watching a great group of guys get into a hissing match when in the long run this kind of stuff has gone on as long as time eternity. I believe every one is entitled to there beliefs and whatever or whomever they do or do not believe in. All i am saying is please remember we are a little country here at B&B and the last thing we need is a civil or holy war....:001_smile

In the immortal words of Rodney King "cant we all get along":wink2:

I remember eight years ago the City of Toronto had a few flaky "progressive" city councillors who wanted to have the Christmas tree re-named it the "Holiday Tree." The mayor at the time (who was jewish by the way) shot the idea down stating it's a Christmas tree and that's how it's going to stay.

Hey guys you know what is amazing to me we as a group seem to get along better than any group of people i have ever been associated with. There are times when i ponder how much we seem do to for each other here. Razors, blades, creams and soaps are sent to one another sometimes free of charge. If one of us has a question we fall over ourselves trying to answer it.

It never ceases to amaze me what religion does to this world and i am watching a great group of guys get into a hissing match when in the long run this kind of stuff has gone on as long as time eternity. I believe every one is entitled to there beliefs and whatever or whomever they do or do not believe in. All i am saying is please remember we are a little country here at B&B and the last thing we need is a civil or holy war....:001_smile

In the immortal words of Rodney King "cant we all get along":wink2:

if anyone knows of an island for sale that we could turn this metaphorical shaving based utopia into a reality then please bring it to the attention of the mods and we could all chip in and buy it :001_tt2: and perhaps even use our titles as a basis for what roles we'd play there :001_smile
merry christmas everyone and to all who dont celebrate it have a great 25th of december!

Thank you all for your contributions and opinions in this thread. However, as has been mentioned a few members have been a bit offended by this so we'll call this one closed.

Thanks gents, that's a wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom