What's new

Anyone else been told not to say "Merry Christmas"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I greet people with "Merry Christmas..."

I always have, and I always will!

I don't believe that anyone is gonna' change this old hardhead!

Tom, I don't know what you are thinking of. Of course you can't say Merry Christmas in the United Kingdom anymore. We have become multicultural and we don't use language like that anymore in case it causes offence.

We made the change on 1st April 2007. Maybe you missed the BBC news on that day when the then Prime Minister made the announcement. I understand quite a few people did and also some naive people thought it was an April fool joke. But I understand that in the new parliament next year it will actually become a criminal offence to use that phrase in a public place with maximum penalty of two years imprisonment.

Anyway, may I wish everybody Seasons Greetings.

Happy Christmas Tom.

So now we have to ask someone what their faith is before we wish them a Merry Xmas???

Still say and will always say Merry Christmas...

I have to say I can't understand why this is such a huge issue every single year, the whole Fox News "War on Christmas" crap.

I've seen lots of polls where they ask immigrants if they care whether Christian symbols of Christmas are put in public places, or whether employees use Christmas greetings, etc. etc. and maybe 10-15% say that it bothers them and shouldn't be done.

I think this issue is the perfect example of creating a controversy.

No, but since Christmas is already a modification of a pagan tradition anyway, anyone of the intended specific religion OUGHT to be offended, but are not.

But if anyone does tell me not to say "Merry Christmas" for that reason, I'll simply say, being the very white chap that I am, "Happy Kwanza".

If it doesn't get a snicker, they take themselves too seriously. It also pokes commentary fun at the idea of being overly sensitive to political correctness. Especially when good intentions are at the core of what is being said.

That having been said, Merry Christmas to whoever is reading this. (and if you find that offensive.. skip it, and please accept my Happy Kwanza instead)

I've never been told by anyone not to say "Merry Christmas", and I don't know of anyone that has. Seems to me that this whole "war on Christmas" is more made up crap by our friends at a certain network.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays... it's all the same.

Feliz Navidad, everyone!

A couple of years ago, I was walking down a hallway and a co-worker was coming from the other direction. As we approached each other, he asked me how my Christmas was. I said it was fine, and asked how his was. Then I remembered he was Jewish. His smile didn't waver one bit as he said "it was great!" and continued on his way.

It's the spirit of the well-wishing that counts, not the specifics.

Actually, I do not celebrate Christmas for personal reasons. And yes, I am a Christian. That being said, I am not in the least offended when I am told Merry Christmas. I have, however, noticed that I hear it less and less lately. More often than not, I hear people say Happy Holidays instead. I assume this is for the same reason.

Here's my rules of life, in short:

1. Don't be a jerk.

2. When in doubt, consult rule #1.

3. When not in doubt, get in doubt.

I try to measure most of my actions and statements by these simple rules, and those of others as well.

I always wonder what people would think if I went up to them and said "Merry Yule," "Blessed Beltaine," "Have a Lovely Lughnassad," and the like. Look at me like I'm a loon, most likely, because they didn't grow up immersed in a culture saturated with my religion's holidays, sentiments, etc.

I imagine if they had, being wished a "Merry Yule" would just remind them they're a minority that isn't even considered worthy of the notice of their existence in courteous conversation. Which is why I don't wish people whose faith I don't know a happy celebration of a holiday I don't know that they celebrate.

It's your holiday, it makes you happy, I would like you to not bother me about it, especially where it's not easy for me to avoid you. If I'm at work, I have to stay there, and I'd like us to be able to coexist with a minimum of friction. If I'm in your place of business as your customer, I'd like you to try to make me feel welcome. If we meet on the street, I'd like us to be civil toward one another. I'm asking for, not demanding, a little thoughtful courtesy.

I may be a bit sensitive about it, but then I've had a supervisor mention gift certificates being part of a Christmas bonus, complain that they couldn't give hams like they used to because Muslim and Jewish employees couldn't eat them, ask me where I went to church, and then proceed to witness to me about accepting Jesus as my personal savior. For two hours. During my quarterly employee review. Because his beliefs were more important than the company rules (to him). So, yeah, sometimes I get a little bristly about people minding their business and their manners. I usually just walk away from the person in question, though, thankful that I have the option.

I can't wrap my head around the notion that anyone could think that a request for courtesy somehow threatens their belief system or the practice thereof. Some people do get really defensive and even aggressive about it, though.

My take on the reason for this: being wished a "Happy Holiday" reminds them that they aren't the only faith on the planet, and aren't in a position to treat everyone else like they are, and this seems to frighten or provoke them for some reason.

Those people I pity, because they I don't think they can ever really have a Merry Christmas until everyone else does too, whether they want to or not.

I wish every one of you a happy celebration of whatever holiday you choose to celebrate, and wish you well regardless of what that holiday might be, or whether there is one at all.

Edit: The folk here on B&B have been extremely civil, which is so often the case, and which is part of the reason B&B is such a great place.

Last edited:
Maybe 1/3 of NYC doesn't celebrate Christmas or they celebrate it on a different day. Say Merry Christmas to a random person and 1/3 of the time it's like wishing you a happy solstice. It just doesn't mean anything. It makes more sense to say happy holidays because it works for 9/10 people here, and the rest can accept that it refers to the New Year, nevermind that they celebrate that in February. Some people would be offended of you wished them a happy solstice. Pfft!

If you live elsewhere, YMMV.

Happy solstice to all the Christians. Happy Eid (*** is that?) to all the Jews. Merry Christmas to all the Moslems. Happy New Year in February to the Pagans. Happy Hanuka to the Russians. And Happy Russian Christmas to the Chinese. And don't forget to invite us to the party in February.

I say Merry Christmas because it's a personal thing. I like this season and holiday. I will believe in Santa Claus until I die. I wish good tidings and blessings to men and women of all colors and creeds, and I do this by saying "Merry Christmas" to them.

If anyone* has a problem with that, they deserve that lump of coal**.

*not saying B&B'ers, ( who are literally the best people on earth) but people who get personally offended when I say Merry Christmas to spread joy

**not to be burned, because we don't want to FURTHER offend*** those worried about global warming

***Very likely the same people offended by me saying Merry Christmas

The woman said I should be more aware of different religions and say "Seasons Greetings" instead, so as not to offend anyone who doesn't believe in Christmas?

Yeesh, there is a lot of hoopla about the whole “Merry Christmas” thing these days: to say it or not to say it? Offensive or benign?

The way I view it; there are so many faiths that have roughly corresponding holidays (some that predate Christianity and some that don’t) that saying ‘seasons greetings’ is a good catch-all. Usually I stick to ‘season’s greetings’ myself, but than again I live in a mega-city that features multiple multi-cultural groups living in a compact space. There is one street not too far from my house that has an Islamic Mosque directly across the street from a Baptist Church, which is just down the street from a Catholic Church that is practically beside a Buddhist Temple.

But back to the OP.

I don’t mind Christmas Tree displays or Christmas Carols or anything else Christmas-ey. Heck, in my neck of the woods the Christmas Tree displays go up in late November in malls and small business’ and even coffee shops. The Christmas carols can be heard in all those places and many others. Earlier this month I was in a clothing store I frequent (owned and operated my Muslims) and they were playing “Hark Now Hear” over the speakers.

The way I figure it, even if you are not religious, the holidays encompass more than religious connotations. The holidays can be secular in nature, if one chooses to instead focus on the interpersonal relationships reflected on and celebrated this time of year. At least that’s how some of my Atheist friends justify the Christmas trees ("holiday trees") in their house. :wink2:

I view being told ‘Merry Christmas’ as a positive seasonal blessing, without an implication of prosthelytization.

...I may be a bit sensitive about it, but then I've had a supervisor mention gift certificates being part of a Christmas bonus, complain that they couldn't give hams like they used to because Muslim and Jewish employees couldn't eat them, ask me where I went to church, and then proceed to witness to me about accepting Jesus as my personal savior. For two hours. During my quarterly employee review. Because his beliefs were more important than the company rules (to him). So, yeah, sometimes I get a little bristly about people minding their business and their manners. I usually just walk away from the person in question, though, thankful that I have the option.
You have the kind of supervisor that lawyers dream about.:wink2:

I've never heard such nonsense! Here in the UK the Christmas period is now referred to as the 'Winter Festival' in some areas, so as not to 'exclude' folk of other faiths. But, believe me, I know people from a wide range of religious backgrounds - Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, etc. and I have never heard of a single one of them being offended by the celebration of Christmas! Many of them actually wish me a Happy Christmas! And privately, they laugh at this politically correct clap-trap!

I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone, everywhere a Very Happy Christmas!

I can't wrap my head around the notion that anyone could think that a request for courtesy somehow threatens their belief system or the practice thereof. Some people do get really defensive and even aggressive about it, though.

I do not want to negate what you said. However, there is another way to look at it. Telling others to have a Merry Christmas is part of how people celebrate Christmas. Since I do not celebrate it, what right do I have to ask them not to observe such a simple traditional custom that is an intrinsic part of their faith. Asking them to not say this, is in a way, saying they do not have the right to their own religion. If I force this issue, I am forcing my beliefs onto them. I have no right to do this.

Again, I remind you, I do not celebrate this either. However, my conscious does not condone the preventing others from observing their customs. So, there are two ways to look at it. Who has more claim to rights here? I feel I am the minority and do not believe society has to change to fit my life. That is just my opinion.

I have to say I can't understand why this is such a huge issue every single year, the whole Fox News "War on Christmas" crap.

I've seen lots of polls where they ask immigrants if they care whether Christian symbols of Christmas are put in public places, or whether employees use Christmas greetings, etc. etc. and maybe 10-15% say that it bothers them and shouldn't be done.

I think this issue is the perfect example of creating a controversy.

I agree with this. The "War on Christmas" is, from my perspective, simply a way to make people feel victimized and to rile them up (as a voting bloc) in defense of a supposedly endangered traditional values system. At least that is the case here in the States (as if we as a country only have one true value system to begin with). Over-sensitivity to the religious connotations of the season is equally extreme, though I don't see this as the widespread phenomenon (or agenda) that many would suggest it is.

I would posit that consideration of others' perspectives or practices is simply good gentlemanly behavior. Act with good intentions and some forethought, and your seasonal wishes should be received as intended (this is as true of phrases said with malice as those said with goodwill and graciousness).

Personally, I celebrate Christmas and also have friends that celibrate other traditions. Throughout the season, I greet people with many phrases, religious and secular (and, depending upon the circumstances, occasionally profane :lol:).

The United States has a large Christian majority. Christmas has become a secular as well as a religious holiday to a large part of the population. I, as a non-Christian, see no problem with "Merry Christmas."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom