What's new

Anyone else been told not to say "Merry Christmas"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes been told this many times.. I work in PG county MD and should I say *gasp* people complain all the time especially throwing out the "racial slurs card" all the time.. Do I complain nope I just brush it off lifes to short to worry about what others say or think /rant

I grew up in PG :w00t: Riverdale (next to College Park). I beleive living in such proximity to DC kind of puts people in a 'politically sensitive' type of mentality.

I tend to say Merry Christmas.

If I know somebody is of another faith, I try to be respectful of that.

I am trying to get my family to start celebrating Festivus as well especially my two teenage daughters. I want to be able to have the annual festivus dinner where I get to tell them how they have disappointed me then end the evening with feats of strength.:w00t:

I say happy holidays in order to **** off the people that get worked up about people not saying "merry christmas"

:lol: :lol:

The crazy thing is that non Christians are not offended by Christmas. It's only in the minds of the PC brigade.

As an aside,
A friend of mine was teaching nursery children in Dubai. They had a Christmas party and exchanged gifts. However she was instructed not to mention Jesus or make any religious references.

Lets keep the religion out of Christmas! :biggrin1:

I recently saw our Canadian PM address a crowd, and he wished everyone a Merry Christmas. It warmed the cockles to hear those words. In a day and age where people are afraid of saying Merry Christmas, he said it anyway.

Personally, I believe it's irrelevant if the person you're greeting shares a religious belief. The message you're spreading is that of happiness, peace and joy. We should greet each other using whatever phrases our own beliefs encourage us to, and expect to be greeted in return in any number of varying ways.

If someone wished me "Happy Eid" or "Happy Hanukkah" I wouldn't take offense!
+1

Playing it 'safe' only leads us to a sterile world of non-offensive unfriendliness. Merry Christmas everyone and enjoy the snow if you've got it!

Merry Christmas to everyone at B&B!

And a Merry Christmas to you as well!

See, how is that offensive? Have we really become that sensitive to political correctness as a society that we have to watch what we say if we desire to wish someone well? Honestly how many people get offended if they're wished a "Happy Hanukkah" and they're not Jewish? I certainly don't.

And a Merry Christmas to you as well!

See, how is that offensive? Have we really become that sensitive to political correctness as a society that we have to watch what we say if we desire to wish someone well? Honestly how many people get offended if they're wished a "Happy Hanukkah" and they're not Jewish? I certainly don't.

I say Merry Christmas and wish it to all here on the B&B. Too many people make a living making mountains out of molehills.

So, does anyone use Bacon in the preparation of Christmas dinner?

As a person who has never celebrated Christmas, I can assure you that I have never been offended by being wished a Merry Christmas, and I have never heard anyone of my faith complain about it, either. The US is a majority Christian country, and it is natural for people to assume that most people celebrate Christmas. When someone wishes another person a Merry Christmas, he's just trying to be nice. How could that be considered bad behavior? "Happy Holidays" doesn't seem to be mean or rude, either.

On the other hand, being referred to as "those people," or being blamed for this PC nonsense, offends the heck out of me. I don't know who came up with the idea that "Merry Christmas" was offensive, but it wasn't me/us.

So, "Merry Christmas" to all who celebrate it. "Happy Chanukah" to all who celebrate it. And "Happy Holidays" to everyone.

At work, I deal with the public and a lot of military people. The usually say "happy holiday!" so that that is what I say back. Generally, whatever you wish me, merry Christmas, happy Chanukah, etc., I will wish back to you. I am a Jewish-Buddhist (Jew-Bu for short) but I am really a Universalist. I just believe that have to pick a boat and sail it to the other side. I have picked my boat. I don't have the time or inclination to sit in judgment on another person's journey.

The only thing that crosses the line for me is when people come at me with an attitude. This is supposed to be a time of good will, not proving points. If you wish me a merry Christmas with an attitude, you will get a happy Chanukah back! If you then point out that you are Christian, I will remind you that that is no reason to be unhappy at Chanukah! (Just switch the terms for my fellow Jew with attitudes!)

Dave

It's not like you are wishing someone a bad Christmas. Seems weird to be offended when someone gives you a nice greeting, good intentions. I think it's rude to not accept a greeting, thank you! If someone told me "happy" anything it's being thoughtful, I say thank you.

It's not like you are wishing someone a bad Christmas. Seems weird to be offended when someone gives you a nice greeting, good intentions. I think it's rude to not accept a greeting, thank you! If someone told me "happy" anything it's being thoughtful, I say thank you.

Does Santa live near you?:001_smile As for the whole holiday greeting, I wish people a merry Christmas on Christmas day. If someone responds negatively I take it back and wish them a sh-tty one instead.

It seems that the more tolerance is taught, the less tolerant the world becomes. This applies equally to the religious and the athiests.

Let's celebrate love, peace, hope, and joy for everyone, regardless of any other considerations.

Merry Christmas!

Yes, about 3 miles away. Giant Santa house. Pretty neat actually.

Does Santa live near you?:001_smile As for the whole holiday greeting, I wish people a merry Christmas on Christmas day. If someone responds negatively I take it back and wish them a sh-tty one instead.

Your response cracks me up...I can just see that...

BTW awesome avatar...

Yes, about 3 miles away. Giant Santa house. Pretty neat actually.

Your response cracks me up...I can just see that...

BTW awesome avatar...

Thanks, the Bumble and I have a lot in common, although I discovered when falling off a ladder that I don't bounce. If you see Santa tell him I'm still ticked off about not getting that Colecovision game system back in '83 and I'll settle for a home theater system to make up for it. I was a good boy that year, I really don't know who shot the neighbors window with my... er, a slingshot.:blush:

In the military we can't say Merry Christmas it HAS to be Happy Holidays. It always ticks me off, I'm not even religious and I still say Merry Christmas. If someone wished me something else because of their belief I wouldn't be offended, I'd be grateful that they were nice enough to be kind in a time we find so many rude people. I think there are to many sensitive people nowadays who just need to suck it up and stop whining! :001_tt2:

Merry Christmas to All!

It is pretty ridiculous. I'm also of "no faith", but I still like wishing people a merry Christmas, when I worked in retail, I would bust out "Merry Christmas and happy holidays" to be safe.

To me Christmas has always been a time for friends, family and goodwill towards others, regardless of faith. I'd even argue that the whole Christmas season has become so commercialized and secularized that "merry christmas" is hardly even a Christian greeting anymore. Even if it is, people need to loosen up, it's a gesture of goodwill, not an attempt to evangelize.

To put it in perspective; often, if I post something on a board like this one about something bad that has happened to me, or my family, people pretty much always respond that they will pray for me, or we are in their prayers. I'm an atheist, but I see the gesture from their perspective as one of caring and compassion and appreciate it, even if it doesn't fit in line with my beliefs.

So from the bottom of my heart; Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night! (or good morning as the case may be)

Hi Guys,

Just a short rant really..... I got told today that I am not supposed to say Merry Christmas anymore in case it offends others of a different faith........ My response was B$%^&*^"£.......

Not being silly though A). I'm technically of no faith so do I still get counted..... & B). ?????????? What is going on. The woman said I should be more aware of different religions and say "Seasons Greetings" instead, so as not to offend anyone who doesn't believe in Christmas? Anyone else been told this..... apparently I've been unknowingly insensitive to many people recently (and TBh if one of those people got upset, I'm not actually bothered...). But I was peterbed to be told this.

Tom
Gentlemen, I am 'religious' in fact it is part of my calling and vocation. I appreciate the fact that neither of you subscribe to any religion and I certainly support your right to do so. What I appreciate more is you gentlemanly desire to wish those who DO celebrate Christmas a merry Christmas. I wish others felt the same way. Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to all

Gentlemen, I am 'religious' in fact it is part of my calling and vocation. I appreciate the fact that neither of you subscribe to any religion and I certainly support your right to do so. What I appreciate more is you gentlemanly desire to wish those who DO celebrate Christmas a merry Christmas. I wish others felt the same way. Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to all

Exactly! Thank you, thats it, it's not the religious bit, that doesn't come in to it (it comes into christmas but not necessarily into the greeting). Afterall don't all faiths (mainstream not twisted neo-versions of religions, hint hint......), don't often wish harm on people and simply spreading that sentiment is something surely all religions would be behind????? Surely peace and goodwill is something to be pro??? :D Certainly something I subscribe to. :D

Anyways guys, at least I know i'm not ........ in the wind with my hatred of PC idiots..... :D

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Eid, have a Terrific Kwanza, and to every other religion I havn't mentioned... Have a good one too.

And to all our Boys and Girls at the Front (Regardless of Allied nation), Merry Christmas, keep well, enjoy yourself as much as you can & most importantly of all stay safe. :D

ATB,
Tom

I consider "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" as interchangeable and I use both. The only people I have ever heard of getting offended by either one are followers of certain blow-hard TV news personalities who believe (or at least claim to believe) that the innocuous "happy holidays" greeting is in fact an insidious plot to undermine the country or some such.

Anyway, funny anecdote. When I was college my alma matter had a substantial jewish population and an active jewish studies department. One fall semester I happened to have a class that met immediately after a class that was taught by an (I believe) Hasidic Jewish professor. It was quite apparent from his appearance that he was devoutly jewish: black clothing, beard, curly sideburns, hat, everything. Anyway, the last day of the semester before winter/christmas break I got to class a few minutes early as the prior class was working their way out. Several of the students were chatting with the professor. All of the sudden a girl who looked like a completely stereotyipical sorority girl looked up from her bags and said "Bye professor! Have a merry christmas!" Everyone in the room turned and looked at her, and the professor eventually broke the awkward silence by saying "Thank you, but I'm jewish. Have a nice break." The girl looked at him for a moment and then said "Oh, then happy hannakuh!" and walked out. It was a surreal experience.

Anyway, funny anecdote. When I was college my alma matter had a substantial jewish population and an active jewish studies department. One fall semester I happened to have a class that met immediately after a class that was taught by an (I believe) Hasidic Jewish professor. It was quite apparent from his appearance that he was devoutly jewish: black clothing, beard, curly sideburns, hat, everything. Anyway, the last day of the semester before winter/christmas break I got to class a few minutes early as the prior class was working their way out. Several of the students were chatting with the professor. All of the sudden a girl who looked like a completely stereotyipical sorority girl looked up from her bags and said "Bye professor! Have a merry christmas!" Everyone in the room turned and looked at her, and the professor eventually broke the awkward silence by saying "Thank you, but I'm jewish. Have a nice break." The girl looked at him for a moment and then said "Oh, then happy hannakuh!" and walked out. It was a surreal experience.

:lol::lol: That's pretty funny. It probably never occurred to her before that moment that he was Jewish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom