What's new

Travel bottles that don't leak / explode - ideas?

I travel a lot... Mostly by airplane. And despite being a military pilot who has flown full time for the last 6 years, I still haven't found a travel bottle that doesn't leak or explode.

To keep weight down in my luggage (I'm the one who carries it), I move my liquids into smaller travel bottles. I have soap, shampoo, cleaner, after shave, lotion, etc in bottles. I used to typically need 5 - 10 days worth of stuff with me. Or now with my new job I only need 3 - 4 days worth of stuff.

I bought some in a brick and mortar REI thinking they would be good but they still explode or leak all over the bag.

Does anyone have suggestions for bottles that won't leak or explode?

A little spendy for what it is, but it's near exactly what I have been looking for so I may have to splurge.
Thanks for the suggestion Ken.

True, They are a little much.

Uphere in the North Lands...Mountain Equipment Co-op carry them.

They are also available on eBay for cheaper sometimes.

Cheers!

For lotions and creams I suggest a GoToob.

http://www.humangear.com/GoToob.html

Three sizes with 3 oz as the largest.

The top is plastic while the body is silicone.

Cheers!

The GoTube is what I have. Love them but some still leak a bit. Maybe I'm doing something wrong... or it could just be the unpressurized baggage space. I'll see this weekend how they work again. Perhaps get a large size and leave more air space in it.

I could try the Nalgene too.

If your baggage space is un-pressurized, I think the last thing you would want to do is leave air space in the bottle. You probably need to look for a flexible container that you can squeeze all the air out of. If there is only liquid in the container, a pressure change should not affect it.

I was going to be flip and suggest someone invent an airtight dopp kit, but that gave me an idea. Get a big, 1L wide mouth nalgene bottle, or a wide mouth aluminum water bottle if REI has one. Put your small liquids bottles in there and close the screw top extra tight. The 1L nalgene should be pretty close to air tight. Shake out the small bottles later at your destination.

Provided it doesn't explode from the pressure changes, it should keep your small bottles from leaking, as the inside of the 1L bottle will be at constant pressure. I've taken a nalgene from 300 to 7000 ft before with no ill effects, just a rush of air like a soda bottle the first time I went to take a drink at 7000 ft.

-----T_M

If your baggage space is un-pressurized, I think the last thing you would want to do is leave air space in the bottle. You probably need to look for a flexible container that you can squeeze all the air out of. If there is only liquid in the container, a pressure change should not affect it.

I was going to be flip and suggest someone invent an airtight dopp kit, but that gave me an idea. Get a big, 1L wide mouth nalgene bottle, or a wide mouth aluminum water bottle if REI has one. Put your small liquids bottles in there and close the screw top extra tight. The 1L nalgene should be pretty close to air tight. Shake out the small bottles later at your destination.

Provided it doesn't explode from the pressure changes, it should keep your small bottles from leaking, as the inside of the 1L bottle will be at constant pressure. I've taken a nalgene from 300 to 7000 ft before with no ill effects, just a rush of air like a soda bottle the first time I went to take a drink at 7000 ft.

-----T_M

TM that is a great idea! I'll just put my bottles inside of the 1L nalgene bottle so it won't matter if they explode.

Another vote for the travel size Nalgene screw-top bottles. I couldn't find one small enough for witch hazel, so I use a mostly-leakproof (and, as noted, very full) 1 oz. squeeze bottle for it. When I carried shaving oil, I always used screw top bottles, and I use a screw-top bottle for balm as well.

TM that is a great idea! I'll just put my bottles inside of the 1L nalgene bottle so it won't matter if they explode.

Skybum - I was actually more concerned about the 1L bottle exploding. Just out of curiosity, what kind of elevation changes are you talking about. If you're in jets, I can easily see you going sea level to 40k.

------T_M

I have just picked up some inexpensive plastic bottles in Wally World or similar places - I leave space in the bottle squeeze the air out, I figure if the pressure builds up then the bottle will expand and have some room. I double bag them in zip lock bags. I sometimes get a bit of leakage but never so much that it pops a bottle. I never have had any liquid in my bag, perhaps in one bag but never the 2nd and of course nothing in my bag.

Skybum - I was actually more concerned about the 1L bottle exploding. Just out of curiosity, what kind of elevation changes are you talking about. If you're in jets, I can easily see you going sea level to 40k.

------T_M

We typically fly at 25k w/o the baggage compartment pressurized. Since the Jet I fly is the T-6, a trainer, we only fly short legs and fly lower. But the baggage space is un-pressurized I don't think the 1L will explode at 25k but that would be one heck of a surprise either upon landing or in flight!

The Nalgene bottles will probably be your best bet. Good price for a good product. This is what REI carries

We typically fly at 25k w/o the baggage compartment pressurized. Since the Jet I fly is the T-6, a trainer, we only fly short legs and fly lower. But the baggage space is un-pressurized I don't think the 1L will explode at 25k but that would be one heck of a surprise either upon landing or in flight!

It could end up like that scene in Memphis Belle where the thermos of tomato soup gets hit by the flack :)

For me, the whole point of the execrise to use smaller travel containers was so I could take my kit as carry on without violating 3-1-1 rules, so my kit always flies in the pressurized cabin.

Top Bottom