What's new

The shampoo/conditioner/pre-shave??? for Menthol fans

Hey guys, did a search for this and only found a long ago thread in the BST.

My wife came home from her hairdresser last night with free samples "for your husband". The product was Redken Mint Clean shampoo and Redken Cool Finish conditioner.

Now, I've been a Head and Shoulders guy for a long time. Never separate shampoo and conditioner. The shampoo was alright, similar to other "high end" shampoos I've used in hotels, but did have a nice mint scent.

The conditioner though, was amazing. Not expecting anything great I put it in and quickly found my head being overwhelmed by the cool sensation I normally only experience shaving with Proraso. Sure enough, looking at the ingredient list it contained menthol. I let it sit for several minutes just to enjoy the menthol feeling. Upon washing it out I was amazed at how soft my hair felt. I made a mental note to tell my wife how much I liked it. The shampoo also said it contained menthol but I don't remember feeling anything with it.

Then I got an idea. I associated the feeling with Proraso and decided to apply the conditioner to my stubble for a few minutes (oh, nice and cool) and washed it out.

I then lathered up with some Proraso just to continue the trend and shaved. It was the easiest, smoothest shave I've ever had. Near BBS with only two passes and a little touch up. I didn't even do my 3rd ATG pass.

I've tried to preshave with just head and shoulders, preshave oil, etc. and man this was the best thing I've tried yet. I'm still awaiting to see if it has any adverse effects on my face. Right now it feels a little dry so I think I'm going to use an ASB. I really hope this works!

Interesting. The most potent stuff I've found (I've only tried the body wash) is Bath and Body Works Mentha line. I'll be giving their shampoo a try, once I've polished off my current stuff (Aveda rosemary and mint). I'll have to add the Redken to the list.

Oh if you like Menthol condition , I HIGHLY recommend American Crew stimulating conditioner! I have a litre I would sell to you that I have used a few times but as it's too much menthol for me. Works great though at making my wavy dark hair soft.

Haha, thanks for the offer ChrisG, but I can't bring myself to buy any more until I finish off this last bottle of Head and Shoulders :laugh:, that's just the way I am.

It's now been about 3 hours since the shave and after I used the ASB my face felt less dry. Still not sure if I'd do it for every shave.

After faceturbating for a bit, I think I should have still done my ATG pass. I think the hair was just soft still from the conditioner so when I was done I couldn't feel it. It's still the closest I've ever been with 2 passes. It was a crazy difference, kind of like using Feathers the first time.

I might have to try that B&BW Mentha line. I'm sure it's cheaper than the Redken. I don't know about the ingredients but the Redken has glycerin and a few of the other ingredients that you usually seen thrown around here as being desirable. Also it looks like the Mentha line smells more like peppermint. The Redken products were a definite straight Mint smell, as if I was in the produce department.

Top Bottom