What's new

Interested in trying

I have been reading these various threads about straight razors and double edge razors. I would assume that it would be smart to try a DE before trying a straight. I currently use a Mach 3 which irritates my skin pretty bad if I try to shave every day. From the posts I've read so far, it seems that a DE could eliminate this problem if I learn to use it correctly.

My question is what would be a good DE to start with that won't break the bank? I just got an AOS kit for my birthday which makes me want to shave more, but I can't take the daily abuse. Unfortunately, I also don't have a ton of cash to throw at it right now. I searched eBay and came up with quite a few affordable razors, but I don't know what I'm looking at so I don't want to go bidding on junk. Any guidance would be helpful.

What's your price range? Depending on the model you can get a shaver quality Gillette for anywhere from $10 to $110. Typical recommendations for a first DE are the Tech, or one of the Superspeeds.

Shaver quality for either one will be between $10 and $20.

You'll find all the info you need on the Safety Razor forum.

Good luck.

jim

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Check the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum and look for a Gillette Tech. You will need a razor blade sample pack to go with it. Something similar to the one at Westcoast shaving!

Gillette Tech would be a great place to start, can always be found for a fair price on the B/S/T section. But once you start you cant just stop at just one razor. After the tech I would recommend an Adjustable Slim Gillette

Welcome to the forum.

So you're using that AOS kit already? Have you read through the stickies in the Shave Clinic?

Is the brush and cream lather helping with your M3 irritation at all? It might or it might not: that M3 is doing three passes across your skin, which could be too sensitive for any lather to offer much protection. But read those stickies: some work on your prep might just do it.

Or it might be a good idea to get away from the M3 as fast as possible. You could go to a local store and pick up some Bic Sensitive single-blade disposables, or some twin-blade disposables, or a twin-blade cartridge handle (the Bump Fighter is supposed to be pretty good). For sensitive skin, two blades may be a significant improvement on three blades.

Anyway that would be modest investment that would remove the M3 from the picture, while you work on your prep and see how your skin reacts. Meanwhile, you could take your time moving to a DE, and wouldn't have to wait for a new razor and blades to show up in the mail. Along with the already-mentioned Techs and Super Speeds, I'd consider a Merkur 34c HD.

I would also vote for either a Tech or a Super Speed. The Tech and the Blue Tip SS are both mild shavers, with the Flare Tip close behind. I would also suggest that you look in the B/S/T forum, and/or place an ad in the Want To Buy...
I also vote for a WCS blade sampler. That will let you find the blade that does the best job for your particular face...

Welcome!

So you're using that AOS kit already? Have you read through the stickies in the Shave Clinic?

I've read through some of them as I'm trying to get the right balance of water and cream for a good lather. I watched the video on the AOS site and the guy looked like he had whipped cream on his face because his lather was so thick. I can't seem to get more than a thin layer. It may sound odd, but it seems that I get a better lather after my first pass. It's thicker after it sits and I go to lather up again for a second pass.

Is the brush and cream lather helping with your M3 irritation at all?

I find that for some reason I get a better shave if I wait a couple days for more stubble to grow, which I find kinda weird. I still have trouble shaving every day. It killed me in the military so I haven't done it for a long time, but I hate walking around with stubble as I prefer the clean look. The lather I'm getting with my brush helps a little, but not much on my neck where it's most sensitive. I did read in one of the DE threads not to push when using a DE, so I tried it with my M3 which helped a little, but it doesn't seem to get all the stubble unless I push a little or make a billion passes against the grain (which, in turn causes irritation).

I have been reading these various threads about straight razors and double edge razors. I would assume that it would be smart to try a DE before trying a straight.

Others may disagree, but I think if you want to try straights anyway, you're almost better off just getting one and going for it. It's totally different than Cart or DE shaving, tho the learning curve is worth it.

On the positive side, any prep stuff you get with straights can be used w/ DE if you find out it's not something you can get into and if you get a vintage gillette too the DE is always worth having for quick shaving or travel.

hey..Try a gem Single Edge razor..not many ppl know of em..I been using mine for 3yrs..nothing finer!..i used a DE 37c n it drove me nuts with nicks!..Gem 1912 SE handles r amazingly smooth n the blades can be real cheap..100 stainless steel blades for no more than $25 free shipping..lemme know!

It sounds like your lather is a little wet, then. It may take more time to build lather with the brush you are using, too. I would guess that the two-day interval is working better because it gives your skin more time to recover from the M3.

I've read through some of them as I'm trying to get the right balance of water and cream for a good lather. I watched the video on the AOS site and the guy looked like he had whipped cream on his face because his lather was so thick. I can't seem to get more than a thin layer. It may sound odd, but it seems that I get a better lather after my first pass. It's thicker after it sits and I go to lather up again for a second pass.

I find that for some reason I get a better shave if I wait a couple days for more stubble to grow, which I find kinda weird. I still have trouble shaving every day. It killed me in the military so I haven't done it for a long time, but I hate walking around with stubble as I prefer the clean look. The lather I'm getting with my brush helps a little, but not much on my neck where it's most sensitive. I did read in one of the DE threads not to push when using a DE, so I tried it with my M3 which helped a little, but it doesn't seem to get all the stubble unless I push a little or make a billion passes against the grain (which, in turn causes irritation).

I have a shave quality tech i was going to pif as part of the penny pincher x-mas gift....i had to travel some and didn't get it out in time....yours if you want it. PM me.

You'll get more bang for your buck by focusing on better prep/post shave routine and building a proper lather. The actual shaving tool, while important, is much less critical to the success of your shave than those two items.

Your lather may improve over time because it's drying while you shave (it may have a little bit too much water). It was good to notice this little detail. Even if you make great lather it will dry a little. Another thing to notice is what's happening to your skin. If you are finding that your skin just "gives" easier, and it just seems easier, you need to look at better moisturizing of your skin and whiskers. The last pass is easier because most of the work has already been done, and your skin is smoother, but if your skin is in much better condition for shaving, then take more time in prep. The absolute best way to get past the lather issues is to watch the videos, read through the posts here - especially the one on the different badger grades - and then take some time, while not shaving, to just get it down. It will come faster than you might expect.

Depends on your budget, but a Merkur 1904 brand new goes for around $25. It is a nice razor, I like it in the open comb version.

Others may disagree, but I think if you want to try straights anyway, you're almost better off just getting one and going for it. It's totally different than Cart or DE shaving, tho the learning curve is worth it.

On the positive side, any prep stuff you get with straights can be used w/ DE if you find out it's not something you can get into and if you get a vintage gillette too the DE is always worth having for quick shaving or travel.

No,you've a good point. If you're interested in straights, the only way you'll know if they're for you is to use them. And they are, as you mentioned, a completely different beast. Now that's now to say there's anything wrong with using DE, SE or any other single bladed razor available out there. It's just that you shouldn't expect learning a straight to be any easier to use if you learn to use a DE beforehand. Sure some of the same principals apply, but the technique and other skills associated with a straight can't be learned unless you use a straight.

I have been reading these various threads about straight razors and double edge razors. I would assume that it would be smart to try a DE before trying a straight. I currently use a Mach 3 which irritates my skin pretty bad if I try to shave every day. From the posts I've read so far, it seems that a DE could eliminate this problem if I learn to use it correctly.

If you have sensitive skin, any pressure whether it is a M3, a DE or a straight will give you irritation. A sharp blade, very light pressure and the proper angle should help.

My question is what would be a good DE to start with that won't break the bank? I just got an AOS kit for my birthday which makes me want to shave more, but I can't take the daily abuse. Unfortunately, I also don't have a ton of cash to throw at it right now. I searched eBay and came up with quite a few affordable razors, but I don't know what I'm looking at so I don't want to go bidding on junk. Any guidance would be helpful.

A Tech is pretty mild and will give you a good shave with the proper blade. Try B/S/T here and the price will be right. Good luck.

Len

I tried less pressure the yesterday with my M3 and it didn't scrape like it usually does. The problem is that it didn't really shave much. I had to make quite a few passes and add pressure on the last one in order to get my neck smooth.

Top Bottom