What's new

Similarities between scents?

It's kind of funny how people who own GIT and payed the $100+ dollars for the bottle invariably think it smells way better and different from Cool Water while everyone else finds them to pretty much by twins..

A lot of popular scents have tried to copy less well known ones, Creed is the victim of this, the vast majority of average people have never heard of Creed and don't shop at the fancy stores that carry it, so it doesn't come off as unoriginal.

Unforgivable is a clone of Millesime Imperial
CK One is very similar to Silver Mountain Water

Then just about every single scent released since 2000 smells exactly the same lol - Acqua Di Gio, Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue for Men, Polo Blue, Azzaro Chrome, CK Euphoria, everything from Lacoste, Armani Mania, Givenchy Blue, - all fresh scents that vary little from one to the next.

And then you have the lame practice from all the big names now in which they make a million different versions of their popular scent - Cool Water and CK One being the best examples I think - CK One Summer, CK One Scene, CK One Electric - Cool Water Summer, Cool Water Summer Fizz, Cool Water Frozen, Cool Water Happy Summer, Cool Water Deep - it's rediculous lol.

And then there are the knock offs of the knock offs, those Classic Match ones you can buy at Wal-Mart for $8/bottle that copy popular scents like CK stuff, Polo, Armani, etc.

It's kind of funny how people who own GIT and payed the $100+ dollars for the bottle invariably think it smells way better and different from Cool Water while everyone else finds them to pretty much by twins..

As I explained before, I smelled Cool Water long before I ever smelled GIT, and found it repulsive. Years later, I smelled GIT, without being aware of its supposed similarities to Cool Water, and I liked it well enough to buy it. It's my own belief that had I found it smelled that similar to Cool Water, I wouldn't have liked it. I don't believe I was influenced by the brands; there are plenty of Creed fragrances I don't like and won't wear. Then again, I admit I've never done a side-by-side comparison of GIT and CW. I long ago dismissed Cool Water, and have never had a desire to smell it again. With all of this talk, though, I think I'll seek it out the next time I'm in a department store...that is, if I can do so without getting waylaid by the sales staff. Department store fragrance salespeople are often nearly as officious as the scents they peddle.

Then just about every single scent released since 2000 smells exactly the same lol - Acqua Di Gio, Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue for Men, Polo Blue, Azzaro Chrome, CK Euphoria, everything from Lacoste, Armani Mania, Givenchy Blue, - all fresh scents that vary little from one to the next.

And then you have the lame practice from all the big names now in which they make a million different versions of their popular scent - Cool Water and CK One being the best examples I think - CK One Summer, CK One Scene, CK One Electric - Cool Water Summer, Cool Water Summer Fizz, Cool Water Frozen, Cool Water Happy Summer, Cool Water Deep - it's rediculous lol.

You sure got that right. This, along with the fact that nearly all of these fragrances smell harsh and synthetic to me, is why I won't even go near a fragrance counter any more. Actually, the latter fact is more the reason than the former. Although I have no desire to smell like everybody else, the fact is, the vast majority of so-called "designer" fragrances - especially those made within the last decade or so - smell downright horrid to me. I have a hard time believing anybody can actually like them. Half the time, I wonder if people wear them because they are sold at fragrance counters, so many people think that's what cologne is "supposed" to smell like. I dunno.

It's kind of funny how people who own GIT and payed the $100+ dollars for the bottle invariably think it smells way better and different from Cool Water while everyone else finds them to pretty much by twins.
I actually picked up samples of both Cool Water and GIT at the same time and tested them side by side. Cool Water is just as bad for me as I described in the beginning of the thread. GIT is much better, though I don't care for the violet leaves note.

Top Bottom