What's new

Almost willing to bet on Slant blade alignment...

Okay, this issue was touched upon in this thread, but I wanted to talk about my results experimenting with my Slant blade alignment in a separate thread.

When I first got my Slant (maybe 10 months ago?) I didn't worry too much about blade alignment, I figured it would take care of itself. Well, I got pretty good results even then... Then, I saw the threads discussing the necessity of ensuring the blade is perfectly aligned - well, I align my blade every time, and I still get pretty good results.

Fast forward to today, I threw a blade (Feather) in and didn't worry about alignment. It was visibly "off" for sure, but I shaved with it to see how much it matters. Well, I probably got the best shave I've had in months. One small weeper at the Adam's Apple, where I get one about 75% of the time anyway.

So, now I'm willing to bet that the blade alignment doesn't matter as much as some people think. I mean, the blade is still sitting at the same overall angle in relationship to the head of the razor, so as long as one still does the normal prep work and watches the angle while shaving, results should be fine.

Anybody else willing to shave on the wild side with their Slant and post their results?

hi
my first few experiences with the slant were horrific , the blood loss was almost a hospital job on one occasion, i was petrified of using it and would not be beaten by a razor , then by mistake i checked the head ,adjusted the blade and bingo , great shave , :thumbup1:. my slant now gets used at least twice a week and have a spare one as well .:thumbup:

My experiences are like the OPs.
I have purposely misaligned the blade and found it to still shave great.
Similar experience with a cheap Nanjie with uneven exposure.

I've shaved twice with the unaligned blade and so far it has been excellent.

I figured the first time could have been good because I was being more careful - as it was my first time in a long time not worrying about blade alignment.

Today, I shaved hurriedly on purpose, to see a worst case scenario with mediocre shave prep and overall speed of shave (and a blade that is on it's 3rd use). Well, today was BBS also. I think I'm getting better shaves with the unaligned blade. Even after it's 3rd use, my blade felt like it was brand new.

Well I was always confused with that thread "Slant Bar- Loading the Blade". I'm not saying it's not just me thinking wrong about this! I just didn't get the issue. When I looked a the pic of the Personna blade in #2 of the thread, I just could not understand how you could use the printing on the blade as a means to align it when it was clear (at least to me) that it was not close to being even on the blades. I have a 37C & a 39C slant & I always just put in a blade just like any other razor & shave with it til the blade is dull & change to a new one in the same way. I don't use it all the time & would not think of it as my favorite razor but I do enjoy the shaves I get from it. :thumbup1:

I align the blade so it is parallel to the top cap, but deep down I think that the blade should just be put in and the razor tightened down. I find it a little weird that monkeying with the blade was the original intent of Merkur. Perhaps the origin of the blade alignment argument is needed.

Perhaps the origin of the blade alignment argument is needed.

I think logic tells us that a blade "should" look aligned in the head of the razor. I'm sure many of us on here are perfectionists, so it makes sense to worry about what the blade looks like in the razor.

Also, since the Slant has a reputation for being aggressive and often leaving weepers, it is reasonable for folks to worry that it is being used in the most correct manner.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Given Merkurs questionable quality control, I don't think that it would be to far fetched to say that the alignment on one razor may not be as bad or as detrimental to the quality of the shave as the misalignment with a different razor.

I know that if I don't adjust the blade I'll have a poor shave.

here. I don't have any trouble with a Crystal in the 39c whether aligned or not. However, throw a Feather in there, and I might get worried.

I'm using only Feathers so far. No problems unaligned. And I think they are cutting somewhat better unaligned, for whatever reason.

I find it a little weird that monkeying with the blade was the original intent of Merkur.

i don't think it was their intent.... thinking about it from a manufacturing perspective, i'd be willing to bet it's their way of ensuring the widest number of blades possible can be used with their razor.

since each blade manufacturer has their own design specs and tolerances, there isn't necessarily a surefire way to make sure all blades fit all razors, except to give it some "wiggle" room. if merkur had designed the head with, say only 0.005" tolerance for razor alignment and my favorite blade has a tolerance of 0.010", well then not all my blades will fit my razor.

gnawmean?

i don't think it was their intent.... thinking about it from a manufacturing perspective, i'd be willing to bet it's their way of ensuring the widest number of blades possible can be used with their razor.

since each blade manufacturer has their own design specs and tolerances, there isn't necessarily a surefire way to make sure all blades fit all razors, except to give it some "wiggle" room. if merkur had designed the head with, say only 0.005" tolerance for razor alignment and my favorite blade has a tolerance of 0.010", well then not all my blades will fit my razor.

gnawmean?

I understand the concept, but that doesn't really apply to, or answer the question, whether or not the aligning of the blade parallel to the top cap of the Slant is the correct procedure.

I don't mind it misaligned as long as it's wider on the left. Now if they'd only get off their duff and make a left handed slant so I could get a close shave on the other side, I'd want it higher on the right.

Entirely my mileage, but I get good shaves when I align the blade and irritation when I don't. I've used 2 different slants and had the same results from each.

Top Bottom