What's new

Question about shaving oil & straights

Hello. I'm the standard fairly clueless newbie trying to experiment and learn (after healing) my way into straight edge shaving. I've started with DE's while I learn the basics of face prepping and all the other fun things that wet shaving provides. Recently I tried shaving with only shaving oil, no soap, no cream. It worked pretty well with a DE. After a few tries, I don't even miss the shaving cream lines to track where I have and haven't shaved.

My silly question is this: Has anyone ever tried shaving with only shaving oil using a straight? Does shaving oil cause any potential problems with proper care for a straight?

Be kind. I bruise easily and often.

Mike

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I never tried the shaving oil/straight combo but if it works with a DE, I don't see why it wouldn't work with a straight.

I found that shaving cream is giving me a better result than shaving oil. Probably related to the skin type. If it works and you like it, use it! :001_smile

Before switching to straights, I used shave oil exclusively. One reason was that I shaved in the shower, and oil works better under running water! The other reason is that I just liked oil better even when not showering.

When I switched to straights, I tried oil and it worked reasonably well. But, I switched to traditional shave soap and mug right away.

I think that what is needed mechanically are a little different with straight razor shaving. I found that the oils built up too much on the blade, and seemed to make the straight razor shaving slightly more difficult. And, cleanup was more difficult, with residue removal.

Top Bottom