What's new

Georgetown G5 Scuttle Review

I will check that out tonight and post. From the feel, the Moss is heavier but I'll get an accurate measurement tonight.

So much for my ability to measure weight by feel. The G5 weighs 1 lb 15 oz. The Moss weighs 1 lb 12 oz.

Interesting I'd like to have a G5 as my first scuttle. You say even with a preheated G5 and filling the reservior with boiling water the it still cools down fairly quickly?

I didn't measure temps but mine with heated water kept a good warm temp. I have had a moss that was so hot it degraded the lather.

Interesting I'd like to have a G5 as my first scuttle. You say even with a preheated G5 and filling the reservior with boiling water the it still cools down fairly quickly?

I didn't pre-heat it to do the temp test, I just filled it with boiling water and measured it at 3 minute intervals.

For my shave this morning I pre-heated it with hot tap water and then refilled with hot tap water and it cooled fairly quickly. Tomorrow I am going to try pre-heating with boiling water and then refilling with hot tap water. I don't like putting in boiling tap water when I lather because I have found that is too hot and makes it hard to lather, at least with the Moss.

Thanks for putting this together! Its not surprising to see that the Moss still rules the heat game. But I love my GtP v4 regardless.

The only downside to reading these reviews is I come away feeling like I have to own another scuttle! :lol:

Thanks for putting this together! Its not surprising to see that the Moss still rules the heat game. But I love my GtP v4 regardless.

The only downside to reading these reviews is I come away feeling like I have to own another scuttle! :lol:

Do it! Think of it as your part in contributing to the economic recovery. :thumbup:

I did preheat the G5 today with boiling water and let it heat for about 2 minutes. Then I put a 50/50 mix of hot water from the kettle (but not boiling) and hot tap water in. The lather was moderately warm at the end of a two pass shave with some touch ups.

I used my G5 for the second time today. Again heated the water in electric water pot, pre heated the G5 and brush followed by new heated water in inner bowl. Made lather with smaller brush today, 3 pass with 2 touch ups below jaw line as usual. The lather stayed warm throughout. I am going to try it tommorrow without the rubber stopper and see if there is any difference in lather temp.

I have the G5. They recommend that, like a teapot, you fill it with boiling water to let it heat up, then empty and refill with boiling water. I also fill the reservoir with boiling water and soak my brush, and it also keeps it hot. If I take a shower first, by the time I get out and start shaving, the soap is comfortingly hot on my face and makes for a great shave. I highly recommend it.

Dittos for me as well. Heat transfer from the hot water to a larger scuttle of more mass requires more heat loss of the water temp. initially placed in an pre-warmed ceramic scuttle. To be fair on all comparisons, pre-heat all scuttles to be tested perhaps in a large vessel that can hold both units completely submerged, then refill each with hot water. My opine is that the larger scuttle, having more mass, will hold its heat, and may also dissipate it more due to its higher surface area. How the scuttle is designed, in the long run determines one over the other. The cork plug on the G5 may help to keep inner pot warmer, but the volume of water heated lends me to believe that the bigger vessel will win.

I don't usually bother with boiling water but I did find a huge difference in lather temp if I let hot water run all over the scuttle before I fill it up (I usually put it upside down under the hot water faucet) - Until I feel the entire pot itself is hot to the touch. I am now very happy with it.

I don't usually bother with boiling water but I did find a huge difference in lather temp if I let hot water run all over the scuttle before I fill it up (I usually put it upside down under the hot water faucet) - Until I feel the entire pot itself is hot to the touch. I am now very happy with it.

I also run hot water over it...but I never thought about doing it upside down. I will try this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the review. I thought it was pretty helpful. When you say that it was pretty cool by the time you were on your 3rd pass, was it room temp cool? Or was it warmer than that? How warm does the Moss scuttle stay just using hot tap water? Where did you get it from and what was the pricing on it?

Thanks!

I have the older Georgetown scuttle--probably the G4 (doesn't have a plug for the opening). My hot tap water is about 130 deg. and I never had a problem with the lather cooling. It's pretty warm, even on a third pass. (I haven't used it in a while, though, as I mostly face lather now).

I just received my G5 scuttle from Georgetown in yesterdays UPS delivery. It is the Hamada and Persimmon color. I used it last night and proceeded to pre-warm the vessel inside and out with hot tap water. I let it sit 5 minutes and dumped all water out from both inner and outer bowls. I quickly refilled the outer bowl and corked it. I used my Maca Root shave cream, just a small dollop on the warm wet badger brush and worked it into a fine lather in the warmed inner bowl of the G5. Beautiful job and the lather stayed warm throughout. It is a massive piece of pottery and holds its heat well. The outer bowl is big enough for my Muehle Stylo brush. I am happy with this purchase. Ted

Great work on the review and all the comments. Thanks to all.

Looking forward to the arrival of my hamada G5 next week. Looking forward to using it even more!

Top Bottom