What's new

Newbie starting tomorrow

I just got my Weishi gunmetal DE Razor today. It looks beautiful! I am really excited to shave in the morning....for the first time since I was a teenager. This will be my first DE shave. (not so sure what to expect). I have seen all of the Mantic videos (several times) and been reading B&B for weeks now. I think I have the necessary knowledge...just have to apply it now.

I'll be using a Dorco 300 that came with the razor. I have sensitive skin...especially on my neck. I have always had the dreaded red irritation on my neck. Hoping to kiss it goodbye in the next few weeks.

I'll report as I go and will probably have questions.

Welcome to the boards!
depending on if you have to be anywhere in the morning, consider shaving at night and doing a couple passes and give yourself enough time to get used to the change. Then cleaning up in the morning. Careful with that pressure. If you think you aren't applying any, then apply even less. Hope it goes well and good luck.

Welcome to B & B and congratulation on your maiden shave. Relax and enjoy the experience. Let us know how it goes.

gooferbert,

Welcome to Badger & Blade! As the other guys said, take your time and enjoy the shave. Fill us in on the results.

DL

I bought the same one but in chrome. Thought it was alright until i tried a 40's gillette ss, now I don't think to kindly on the weishi

Welcome and enjoy the journey!

I had the same Weishi and enjoyed it (briefly) before I got distracted by straight razors. Still have fond memories!!

All the best,
Michael.

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes and great advice!

Ok...here is how it went...

As most of you stated (and as everything I read seems to preach), I tried to take my time, focus on technique, short strokes, no pressure, lots of prep, etc. I had no trouble going slow, prepping, and stoping after my 2nd pass even though i wanted to go for a 3rd.

I did 2 passes both WTG. The 1st pass was a little rocky. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't uncomfortable...in fact, I wasn't sure if I was shaving or not. The issue for me was keeping the proper angle. The neck area was especially difficult to get the right angle.

Otherwise, I wound up with one of the best shaves ever (with some room for improvement). For now, I want to get my technique down, then focus on getting BBS.

Questions:

1. What is the best way to get a good angle on the neck?
2. Should I stretch my neck or "bullfrog"?

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes and great advice!

Ok...here is how it went...

As most of you stated (and as everything I read seems to preach), I tried to take my time, focus on technique, short strokes, no pressure, lots of prep, etc. I had no trouble going slow, prepping, and stoping after my 2nd pass even though i wanted to go for a 3rd.

I did 2 passes both WTG. The 1st pass was a little rocky. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't uncomfortable...in fact, I wasn't sure if I was shaving or not. The issue for me was keeping the proper angle. The neck area was especially difficult to get the right angle.

Otherwise, I wound up with one of the best shaves ever (with some room for improvement). For now, I want to get my technique down, then focus on getting BBS.

Questions:

1. What is the best way to get a good angle on the neck?
2. Should I stretch my neck or "bullfrog"?

Best way to get a good angle on your neck is by feel. Once you know what the feel of a good angle is on your cheeks, sideburns and chin, try and get the same feel on your neck. Listen to the razor, it will tell you when you've got it right.

As for stretching or "bullfrog"ing, try both and see which one works for you. I personally stretch, by pointing my chin up as far as it will go so that I can still see the mirror (which isn't actually very far, because the mirror is pretty low, probably because my 5 foot 2 mother-in-law designed the bathroom for her, not a 6 foot 1 guy). But that's because I've got a thick neck and easy terrain to work with (no deep valleys, no protruding adams apple).

Top Bottom