What's new

worst shaving injury

HI everyone. I've been shaving for about 10 years and have used 2 blades, 3 and even 5 blades. Right now I use an electric but I just ordered a new DE and badger brush from Edwin Jagger and am waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime however I have been reading about how these things can mess up your face if your not careful. Whats the worst thing that can happen? can they leave permanent scars? I've had nicks and cuts before but is there anything that I should really look out for when shaving with a double edge?

HI everyone. I've been shaving for about 10 years and have used 2 blades, 3 and even 5 blades. Right now I use an electric but I just ordered a new DE and badger brush from Edwin Jagger and am waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime however I have been reading about how these things can mess up your face if your not careful. Whats the worst thing that can happen? can they leave permanent scars? I've had nicks and cuts before but is there anything that I should really look out for when shaving with a double edge?

Shavinator --

Welcome to B&B, glad to have you join us.

You'll like the EJ stuff, their products are first class. Wet shaving is easily learned with very modest effort. You do have to use some common sense care. Any 'injuries' you sustain will likely feel like a 'paper-cut' and are a merely a nuisance. They are infrequent while learning, are rare once you're past the beginner stage.

edit:

At the top of this forum there is a stickied thread that has links to a number of instructional postings and tutorials; these are a great starting point and you should certainly read through them.

Also, make sure that you view Mantic's shaving videos that he has posted on the net at YouTube. They are a 'must do' for new wet shavers, and well worth the time to view them.

-- John Gehman

Last edited:
the worst "shaving" injury you could get would be death and that would only happen if you tried to raid another man's shave den.:001_smile

Welcome to B&B. With respect and careful use, no razor should be feared, so any injuries should be only minor nicks. Good luck and enjoy your shaving.

welcome aboard

i can only echo the replies above

read the stickies

watch mantic's videos on youtube

take it slow and concentrate.

accept that your first DE shave may take 30 minutes or more.

enjoy the process:thumbup1:

minor nicks and cuts, weepers. You probably wont' feel it when they happen, and they're not worth worrying about.

Hi Shavinator -

You are going to love your new EJ razor. I bought an EJ Chatsworth and absolutely adore it. I did also get an inexpensive Feather DE that was about $20 for traveling. I do not want to lose my EJ if the airline happens to misplace my luggage.

If you haven't already you might get one of the razor blade assortment packages. West Coast Shaving has several to choose from ranging in price from $5.50 to $26 depending on how many different blades manufacturers you want to try. I am liking the red IP blades right now.

Take your time, shaving after your shower works good and have FUN.

Don

Welcome to B&B! With just a bit of care and patience, you shouldn't have any lasting injuries.

Signed:

Johnny One Ear

just kidding :w00t:

The only stories I see involving scars come from users of straight razors, usually from losing track of where the tip of the razor has ended up.

With a safety razor, your biggest risk of a cut will come from carelessness or uncertainty. If the razor ends up moving lengthwise (slicewise) to some extent, that's when it happens.

This is no different from a cut from a cartridge, except that it will be a single cut (instead of three, four or five in parallel). :smile:

They called them "safety" razors for a reason. Don't worry.

- Chris

The only stories I see involving scars come from users of straight razors, usually from losing track of where the tip of the razor has ended up.

With a safety razor, your biggest risk of a cut will come from carelessness or uncertainty. If the razor ends up moving lengthwise (slicewise) to some extent, that's when it happens.

This is no different from a cut from a cartridge, except that it will be a single cut (instead of three, four or five in parallel). :smile:

They called them "safety" razors for a reason. Don't worry.

- Chris

Wetshaving is probably one of the safest activities/hobbies you can take up and if you pay attention you won't have any problems, unless you're me. I can find a way to get hurt sitting on a sofa if I try hard enough and sure enough, I did.

I was shaving with my Parker 91R and a Personna blade a month or so ago and I managed to sink the exposed edge of a blade into my right cheek, next to the corner of my mouth during an XTG pass (when I do something clumsy, I don't settle for half measures) by whacking my hand (the one holding the razor) on something while I was leaning forward to see in the mirror better. The cut was fairly deep, bled like crazy for about ten minutes but didn't really hurt, took a good two weeks to heal completely, and left a faint scar that's visible if you know exactly where to look. The scar is still fading, though, so I doubt it'll be visible permanently. No real harm done but a valuable lesson learned.

A few weeks ago when I first started using my Slim, I cut the filtrim vertically whilst preparing for an XTG pass in that area. I was holding the razor above my face and began to make the 0: face to stretch my upper lip. I was apparently holding the razor a little TOO close because the blade caught me. Stupid, careless mistake. It felt exactly like you would expect - hot metal slicing your skin. It bled through the rest of my shave and stopped shortly after. A little Neosporin had it healed inside of a week. Other than that injury, I've only had some nicks that are actually less bad than the nicks I was getting with my Sensor. I've been DE shaving since August.

A DE can mess you up if you're not careful. Don't let that put you off trying one, just don't be careless. I was in a rush one day and made an east-west motion by accident when shaving around my neck. Ended up with a 2 inch scar that took about 2 weeks to heal and is still fading. That was about a month ago, and I've been using a DE for over a year. Early on, I also made a little tiny cut on my lip when shaving around the mouth. Other than that, no major injuries except for a few nicks here and there due to inexperience early on or carelessness. These days, I'm more likely to get nicks when using a disposable than with a DE. Just be careful, and skip the DE if you're really rushed.

B

bluefoxicy

I cut my ear off with the straight but reattached it using a styptic pencil.....

The DE won't hurt you.

I think more folks cut themselves whilst in the process of changing blades or adjusting their razors than they do while shaving with DE razors.

if you avoid any slicing action then with the amount of pressure you should be using (basically no pressure at all) you shouldnt get anything more serious than nicks.
goodluck and welcome

thanks so much for the warm welcome guys. I can't wait until my brush and razor arrive! The last time I actually looked forward to shaving was the first time I ever shaved.

Hello and welcome to the forum.FYI if you ever cut a chunk from your lip while going after the soul patch, don't use a stypic to stop the bleeding.Ugh,ugh makes my neck hurt just thinking about it.

Top Bottom