What's new

fountain pens.. you got me

I have awful handwriting.

Its legible... just... and very very ugly. Ive been meaning to do something about it for years but never really did.

Then the other day, I had a wee write with a Lamy Dialogue3, and saw my shoddy handwriting on a pad next to some other fantastic handwriting and finally decided to do something about it. I also have thought FPs were cool since I won a Lamy Safari when i was about 12. I used it a little but was confused with what to do once the cartridge ran out.

I bought a pen and some ink, and will re-learn to write! (though obviously my pocketbook couldnt stretch to the dialogue! - I bought a Parker Vector, for those interested).

I know a FP wont give me better handwriting, but im hoping it will make me learn! After some google time, and reading a few forums (especially this one) ive decided to learn from this old book.

Anyway, pen and ink are in the mail somewhere - wish me luck guys!
(I intend to post back here how I go in re-learning to write)

I relearned how to write not too long ago. I used a different system (Write Now! University of Oregon press). It was actually easier than I expected. It does take some time to fully take hold and become truly natural. However, it can be done.

I think FPs take away some of the short cuts and sloppiness that we develop over time. I don't think a FP will impart the ability to write well; however, I do believe that FPs offer good encouragement.

Let us know how it goes!

I have found that using a FP to write notes to people really forces me to slow down and compose my thoughts prior to putting ink to paper. Enjoy and good luck.

Good luck with the Palmer Method. I tried it years ago and found it too difficult to adapt to since I learned to write with my fingers and not my whole arm. However, writing with an FP has helped a lot... you're forced to write more slowly and thus, more clearly.

Legion

Staff member
I've recently got the FP bug too but my handwriting is still terrible. I blame the fact that my hand has been broken a couple of times but, in truth, it was always this bad. I never really thought about relearning how to write. Interesting....

Once you try, there is no going back. I own 35 fountain pens from a variety of manufacturers both modern and vintage. I will never write with a ballpoint ever again.

I've been getting more interested in trying a FP after reading all the great threads about them in here. My handwriting's crap, too, but I think that's okay if one goes into the medical profession... :001_rolle Thanks for piquing my curiosity fellers.

i have been using a lamy safari to take notes in my Real Analysis class. Using a fountain pen allows me to write faster, more legibly, and with no soreness even after a long writing session. Does anyone on this board have suggestions of smooth writing <$100 vintage pens?

Do fountain pens help your handwriting when you don't write in cursive? Other than my signature, I don't think I've used cursive in more than a decade.

I've found that I just tend to write more clearly with a fountain pen.

One of the major advantages for me is that there is no pressure on your hand. I have to write short narratives on a fairly regular basis. I've found that writing with a FP doesn't work my hand like a ballpoint. I'd have to stop after a paragraph or two with a ballpoint. With a FP, I can keep going... and going... and going...

Do fountain pens help your handwriting when you don't write in cursive? Other than my signature, I don't think I've used cursive in more than a decade.

Good question actually. I never write in cursive script either but I just started using fountain pens exclusively a few months ago and I swear my chicken-scratch printing has gotten marginally better. I actually pay attention to what I'm doing a bit more I guess now that I use a 'cool guy's pen'. :biggrin1:

i have been using a lamy safari to take notes in my Real Analysis class. Using a fountain pen allows me to write faster, more legibly, and with no soreness even after a long writing session. Does anyone on this board have suggestions of smooth writing <$100 vintage pens?

IMHO I would snag a Parker 51 off ebay. If you watch, you can get a P51 in decent shape with a gold filled cap for around $100.00 or less. I own three Parkers and they are by far my favorites. I am carrying a 1947 vacumatic with a fine nib today. The one thing to watch for is, if you buy a vacumatic filler, chances are that you will have to get it reconditioned. That cost about $35.00 bucks but is worth every penny. The post 1947 1/2 P51's are areomatic fillers and almost never need to be reconditioned. Good Luck

A bit of scribbling on a barber hone will do wonders for the smoothness of *any* fountain pen...

I fell victim to the pen bug earlier this year and I'm glad I did. My favorite is the Parker 51. I have a few of them-- Pen AD can be bad, too-- and I have a particular favorite one, too. It is an aerometric made in 1951 and just writes beautifully. I write with it or one of my others every day, and rarely write with anything but a FP if I can help it.:thumbup1:

I think FPs take away some of the short cuts and sloppiness that we develop over time. I don't think a FP will impart the ability to write well; however, I do believe that FPs offer good encouragement.

Very well spoken Cheech.

My handwriting flat out sucks guys. But the fact of the matter is, after doing some researching, seeing some other dudes handwriting (on FPN and elsewhere) and buying a few FPs, I've found I simply slowed down and took my time.

Quite frankly, this simple and easy step has made my handwriting get back up to a :lol: legible :lol: level.

A lot like our shave hobby in that regard. Once you slow down, and take your time, your technique improves tenfold.

I've also found since picking up the FP hobby that when I have to revert to a quick ballpoint for a fast signature for work...in a rush...hurry up...sign this...sign that...

That my handwriting looks like the classic MD signature...crap!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Good luck! In my opinion the FP is the best way to write and you'll never go back. As a matter of fact you'll hate it if you don't have yours and have to use a ballpoint in a pinch

Top Bottom