What's new

What color suit is this and should I buy it?

proxy.php

Looks like navy with purple stripes to me. Wish the seller gave more pictures.

Waist needs to be taken in 3.5-4", waist of jacket needs to be suppressed, length of jacket & sleeves needs to be shortened, oddly the inseam might be ok. Probably another $200 tailoring bill. Asking price of the seller is $130.

Uses: interviews, court, internships, work 2 years in the future.

If your intended use is 2 years in the future, I would say don't buy it. Your "dimensions" might change between now and then.

$330 is a lot to invest in a suit where you're not even sure what color it is. Save your money and shop around between now and then.

Hard to say becuase photos are never usually 100% color accurate. Difficult to shop online becuase returns can be a problem.

See if you can find the suit (or one like it) from a local merchant.

Barcelino is an actual mens store in San Francisco. The suit you have is actually made by Belvest tailors in Italy. This line usually runs >$900.

It's a nice suit. It is actually blue with white striping.

Extensive alterations is not always a smart investment. Fine tailored suits have excess material to be let out and in. I'm sure this suit can be altered. Just make sure there is enough material to let out the trousers if you are tall and the suit was owned by a short man.

I tend to agree with David. You may want to keep looking for a suit that is closer to your measurements. You may be interested in Zegna if you are looking for an Italian suit.

If your intended use is 2 years in the future, I would say don't buy it. Your "dimensions" might change between now and then.

$330 is a lot to invest in a suit where you're not even sure what color it is. Save your money and shop around between now and then.

I doubt it. I haven't gained or lost a single pound in the past 7 years. If anything, my chest and abs are more chiseled from when I graduated college.

I also said interviews, internships, and going to court. So I have a purpose for it right now. Just not much interest if it is indeed an odd purple color.

Yes, I know its a Belvest suit. One of the best, hence my interest at that price and willingness to pay for the necessary alterations, which would be necessary with any OTR suit I buy anyway....

I'm actually smaller than the previous owner. Highly doubtful I'll find stuff in my size. I'm 5'6" and have an athletic build. Seeing as most of America is more corpulent than I, I've resigned myself to paying for alterations to suppress the waist of the jacket, take in the inseam, and shorten the length of the jacket and pants. Very annoying, but necessary to look my best.

In the end, its still cheaper than $1200 for a made to measure suit with less handwork.

My Tailor told me these two rules to follow: Don't buy a suit if the shoulders and jacket length are not perfect.

Very hard to tell from the photos. If it looks like the background, it seem fine no matter what the exact color. Are you sure that is the same suit in the background and in the foreground? Are the laps on the pockets tucked into pokets for some reason in the foreground.

Seems like way too much tailoring. I did not know that one could successfully shorten a jacket and 4 inches off the waist is a heck of a lot.

Also, the style seems potentially dated with the front buttons being set a little low, and if those pockets really do not have flaps.

Is it single, double (doe not look so from the photos), or no vented?

Should I recognize the brand?

If the pockets have no flaps I would pass. Overall I think I would pass because it takes so much alteration. If it didn't, its is a suit of $130, what the heck. But I would not count on it being my interview suit.

My Tailor told me these two rules to follow: Don't buy a suit if the shoulders and jacket length are not perfect.

Agree with shoulders because they are impossible to fix. Disagree about length. Never had a problem shortening the jacket. Haven't met a decent tailor unwilling to do it either.

Very hard to tell from the photos. If it looks like the background, it seem fine no matter what the exact color. Are you sure that is the same suit in the background and in the foreground? Are the laps on the pockets tucked into pokets for some reason in the foreground.

Seems like way too much tailoring. I did not know that one could successfully shorten a jacket and 4 inches off the waist is a heck of a lot.

Also, the style seems potentially dated with the front buttons being set a little low, and if those pockets really do not have flaps.

Is it single, double (doe not look so from the photos), or no vented?

Should I recognize the brand?

If the pockets have no flaps I would pass. Overall I think I would pass because it takes so much alteration. If it didn't, its is a suit of $130, what the heck. But I would not count on it being my interview suit.

Its a Belvest. Not famous like Oxxford, but well constructed with nice features.

Anyway, didn't even notice the pockets and low buttons. I'm going to pass. Too much pant tailoring, weird color description, and its going to be dated. Oh yeah, and its ventless.

I did not see a description of the color. I bet it would turn out fine.

intersting about shortening the jacket. Doesn't it mess up where the pockets are set relative to other parts of the jacket?

I am not fond of no vent suits, it is an Italian thing though.

Think the way that buttonaire hole in the lapel is done may be a sign of quality, or is it the keyhole shapped that are the best?

Live link, pming it to you.

edit: Wait, its a BIN, I can post it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250547330959&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Probably depends how much is taken up. Usually its only an inch with me, so not really. Now that I look at it, if I take it up, it would change the relative positions of the buttons, making them higher. Can't fix the non-existant flap. Wonder if its really a big deal.

Buttonaire is the sign of quality because it means someone had to either machine it by hand, or hand stitch it. But they've got machines to imitate that, and you can make a keyhole by hand too. But its a Belvest, so its probably done by hand. Only way to really tell is to flip it over, and thats not going to happen socially.

+1 What he said.

Without option to try suit on, it's always a bit dicey unless you know that brand and know that size is a good fit.

There is a point at which alterations start to really compromise the jacket. It looks like you're taking the pants in quite a bit.

Live link, pming it to you.

edit: Wait, its a BIN, I can post it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250547330959&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Probably depends how much is taken up. Usually its only an inch with me, so not really. Now that I look at it, if I take it up, it would change the relative positions of the buttons, making them higher. Can't fix the non-existant flap. Wonder if its really a big deal.

Buttonaire is the sign of quality because it means someone had to either machine it by hand, or hand stitch it. But they've got machines to imitate that, and you can make a keyhole by hand too. But its a Belvest, so its probably done by hand. Only way to really tell is to flip it over, and thats not going to happen socially.

Yeah, funny and hard to understand color description. Is the suit in the background supposed to be the same as the foreground? One seems to have pocket flaps, the other not.

when you say "flap" do you mean vent? not a big deal not to have one. all configurations are correct. I like to have them but not mandatory.

I am looking at the buttonaire hole on the Burburry suit I am wearing today, which happens to be key hole in shape. The one in the photo seems more finely and carefully done than the one on the suit I am wearing.

How many buttons on the sleeves? Four on each sleeve seems to be typical. Hugo Boss a least used to use two, widely spaced. I have a suit that has three on each side. Has not bothereed me.

I am just making observations.

Its a close up of the lapel. It appears the left breast pocket has a flap or is crafted to look like it does. The bottom two don't.

Its a close up of the lapel. It appears the left breast pocket has a flap or is crafted to look like it does. The bottom two don't.

I see! Sorry. That should have been obvious to me, shouldn't have it! Good thing I am not taking the SAT!

The stripes line up nicely on that breast pocket and the welt or whatever one calls that piece of fabric that runs across the top of the breast pocket seems to lie very flat, which I think is good tailoring or lots of pressure on the steam press! <grin>

Sorry to obsess, but the other thing that comes to mind is that if there are some styling items that seem unusual--such as no vent and no flaps on the pockets, maybe the color--there may be other things that are "unusual" about, say, the fit.

Sorry to obsess, but the other thing that comes to mind is that if there are some styling items that seem unusual--such as no vent and no flaps on the pockets, maybe the color--there may be other things that are "unusual" about, say, the fit.

It was made for a man much more corpulent than I? :lol::lol::lol:

Couldn't resist. But its the bane of my existence. Its the only time I really wish I was fatter and taller. Whenever I buy clothes. I can never ever ever find clothes that fit me OTR.

The only suit that actually fits me pretty well OTR is the JAB Executive, but they're $100 suits. This is a $1k suit. On a 1k suit, I'm willing to spend the $200 to get it to fit me perfectly. On a $100 suit, I'll settle for good enough. But the $100 suit still looks like $100 suit, no matter how perfect the fit. The 1k suit will look like a $100 suit if it fits poorly, but will look and feel like $1k if it fits perfectly. And if I only spend $300 for a perfectly fitting garment made from high quality material, I think thats a win in my book.

My only alteration concern about this garment is that the seat may need correction, which is major alteration to the pants, but this new tailor I'm giving a try said he could do it to some Oxxfords I brought him, so its not a deal breaker, necessarily.

What I'm really worried about is the flaps that CS pointed out and the color. dark mauve taupe sounds too much like a purple suit to me. But I suppose if it looks like the close up, thats navy with purple stripes. I don't wear suits to the club or bar or anything like that, so a "play" suit is out of the question. Only reason I'm seriously considering this suit is because suits that fit my shoulders are incredibly rare. Even in men's stores. And I can't pay the retail price.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Something about that suit just makes me say "ick". The colour, the overly soft shoulder, the low button stance, I dunno, just ICK.

Given the low button stance, and your interest in shortening the jacket, you are right to pass on this one ... otherwise you end up with a buttoning almost at the bottom of your jacket! :blink:

Given your physical anomalies, I'd suggest finding "one good suit that fits really well" and buying it regardless of price, rather than snooping around for bargoons that you try to have Tailor Frankenstein fix up for you. With Boxing Day almost upon us, you may want to wander into a Brooks Bros and check out the fit of the various different suit models they sell, or some similar store.

It was made for a man much more corpulent than I? :lol::lol::lol:

Couldn't resist. But its the bane of my existence. Its the only time I really wish I was fatter and taller. Whenever I buy clothes. I can never ever ever find clothes that fit me OTR.

The only suit that actually fits me pretty well OTR is the JAB Executive, but they're $100 suits. This is a $1k suit. On a 1k suit, I'm willing to spend the $200 to get it to fit me perfectly. On a $100 suit, I'll settle for good enough. But the $100 suit still looks like $100 suit, no matter how perfect the fit. The 1k suit will look like a $100 suit if it fits poorly, but will look and feel like $1k if it fits perfectly. And if I only spend $300 for a perfectly fitting garment made from high quality material, I think thats a win in my book.

My only alteration concern about this garment is that the seat may need correction, which is major alteration to the pants, but this new tailor I'm giving a try said he could do it to some Oxxfords I brought him, so its not a deal breaker, necessarily.

What I'm really worried about is the flaps that CS pointed out and the color. dark mauve taupe sounds too much like a purple suit to me. But I suppose if it looks like the close up, thats navy with purple stripes. I don't wear suits to the club or bar or anything like that, so a "play" suit is out of the question. Only reason I'm seriously considering this suit is because suits that fit my shoulders are incredibly rare. Even in men's stores. And I can't pay the retail price.

Being thin, I suppose is a burden you will have to bear! It may be less of a burden as you get older, unfortunately! I was never that then, but I am terrified that I am closing in on corpulent by with each passing year!

I thought "mauve" was generally a "dusty rose" a gray pink. And "taupe" I thought is a gray-biege. I quick Google of this leaves me more confused than helped though! The one men's suit that came up as mauve is nothing you would want color-wise, but I would not trust the result!

Kind of weird because, if I recall, mauve is kind of a famous color. One of the first synthtic color dyes or something like that. And I think taupe is supposed to be the color of the European mole, a little burrowing animal.

Top Bottom