What's new

Wide feet

I have a wide shoe size of 4E. This makes finding shoes rather difficult, as most shoes do not come in 4E. Does anyone else have this problem? Are there any particular stores you look it?

I used to be able to get 4E shoes in Big5 stores...Then they quit carrying size 11 1/2. I have a choice now of an 11 which is too small, or a 12 which is too big. That's just swell, isn't it? Maybe you will be lucky and use a size they like and support.
Best regards, Ken

Allen Edmunds has a lot of shoes in wide sizes, but I think they only go up to EEE. They have a lot of different lasts, though (as I understand it), so it might be worth a try. The guys at the stores actually know about shoes, which is a refreshing change.

Good luck - I know that finding shoes for wide feet is a real pain.

And I thought I had it bad. At least I can pay retail and get my size. 4E, ouch.

Also check out Alden. More expensive because they never go on sale, but they have a lot of lasts too.

I have 2E flat pancake feet that my wife calls Fred Flinstone feet. When I was younger I could wear anything off the shelf. Now I'm a little more particular. For casual and sports shoes, I've had good luck buying from RoadRunner Sports and at local shoe shops that cater to runners because they usually stock wide-sizes and motion-control (arch support) models.

Welcome to the big feet club (big club feet?) :biggrin1:

I wear a size 12 6E, so my choices are fairly limited too. I generally end up with New Balance for sports shoes and their casual dress/dress shoe imprint Dunham for dressier shoes. They also have pronation-resisting supports in some of their Dunhams and almost all of the NB sport shoes, which increases my comfort level tremendously. I worked a job at one point that averaged about 7-8 miles of walking per shift, and did fairly well in them (only had to loosen the laces due to foot swelling once per shift :lol: ). The irony was I was working for Payless, and not one shoe in that monstrously huge warehouse would have fit me. :thumbdown

I'd love to be able to shop for some of the really top-notch dress shoes, but short of having them custom made there aren't any I know of that make shoes in my size.

4E here as well. The only retail stores I buy shoes at are running stores. I have had good luck with wide athletic shoes from Asics, New Balance, and Brooks. Other than that I shop online. Zappos.com allows you to search via shoe size, so usually what I do is put in my size and then look at the available shoes in the style I want. Plus they are awesome about returns, so if you get a pair that doesn't fit right you can send it right back and they'll send you a new pair that hopefully does.

My current primary dress shoes are a pair of black oxfords by rockport with a rubber sole that looks like a leather sole. They shine up nicely, are comfortable, and have held up nicely for several years now. Of course, they also come in wide sizes.

Welcome to the big feet club (big club feet?) :biggrin1:

I wear a size 12 6E, so my choices are fairly limited too. I generally end up with New Balance for sports shoes and their casual dress/dress shoe imprint Dunham for dressier shoes. They also have pronation-resisting supports in some of their Dunhams and almost all of the NB sport shoes, which increases my comfort level tremendously. I worked a job at one point that averaged about 7-8 miles of walking per shift, and did fairly well in them (only had to loosen the laces due to foot swelling once per shift :lol: ). The irony was I was working for Payless, and not one shoe in that monstrously huge warehouse would have fit me. :thumbdown

I'd love to be able to shop for some of the really top-notch dress shoes, but short of having them custom made there aren't any I know of that make shoes in my size.

Hey Woodrobin. Thank you for the links! My current pair of athletic shoes are about shot. A pair of New Balance that I got at Kohl's one year. I use them on the elliptical trainer. I wear a 9-1/2 EE in most American branded shoes/boots. HOWEVER, this can vary a bit. I tried a pair of Allen Edmunds at Nordstrom's and no less than their EEE would fit. To my eye they looked the same width as other brands EE. I can tell you this situation with wide feet did not seem to be as big a deal when I was a kid. All the old brands like Red Wing and Florsheim had the EE widths in stock. Red Wing still has good selection. Nowadays if you go to any of the regular old retail outlets like Shoe Carnival, Famous Footwear, etc, and look at the major brands like Clark's, Nunn Bush, Skechers, and others, they all come in medium. Every now and then you will find a generic "wide" model that may or may not fit. I lucked into a nice brown casual shoe by Nunn Bush a few weeks ago in my requisite 9.5 size. It was listed as wide on the box and I remembered thinking as I levered it on; "here we go again". It just didn't look like it would fit. Voila. It fits like a glove. A rarity for me. It is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age to have to special order wide sized shoes. Don't get me wrong. I realise your 6E is unusual but consider this. People are larger than ever. I don't mean fat either. The sheer number of kids stretching out over six feet in America anymore is scary. I have a nephew who was 6'5" tall at 14 years of age. He is not alone. Now not only do these kids carry a large frame but their feet are correspondingly big too. Having to fight tooth and nail for wide shoes is just plain silly. Wide footed people are nothing new. I really like the casual "bowling shoe" style of footwear for men that has become popluar the last few years. I can't tell you how many times I have had to walk right past fantastic closeout bargains simply because of wide feet. I have also taken a liking to Dr. Marten shoes and boots too. Fat chance finding a model that will fit my feet. I lucked into one of their industrial line for work that fits. They have different lasts that are wider or narrower depending on style but they don't list which is which. They also don't have half sizes so again, it gets dicey. This is all very aggravating. Anyway, thank you for the link. The Durhams look like a nice choice for casual shoes.

Regards, Todd

Churches makes an "honest" wide fitting. I have to stretch Allen Edmonds but I have done it successfully with two pairs. Many US wide fittings are only about 3E, so they really aren't very wide. Also New Balance makes a wide fitting running shoe (actually made in the US as well!).

I would contact Allen Edmonds and see if they think they can do anything for you if you need dress shoes.

They seem pretty accommodating.

Top Bottom