What's new

Something great for irritation or razor burn

For just shy of 40 years I've been a firm believer in using natural products, vitamins, etc., and staying away from main stream medicine unless needed. By that I mean you have a broken bone, need stitches, or anything of the like that would need a doctor. I'm not totally against medicine as we know it, but I hope you get what I mean.

All of our prescriptions, and most over the counter medicine originally came from natural foods, plants, or another natural source. Ever since mankind stepped in and started to engineer better and more powerful antibiotics have we started to lose ground against viruses, some of which are now resistant to any of our antibiotics. Science has found that some of the old ways of treatment are very effective. This post is not about doom and gloom, but about something I've come across that is natural and effective against many skin problems. Here I'm talking about the above irritation and razor burn that we all encounter from time to time. Try as we may we all experience these two along with the occasional nick or weeper.

While witch hazel, the alum block, and AS balm are all excellent, I've come across something that works either in combination with any of these listed or alone by itself. Its Colloidal Silver, a powerful natural antibiotic. Before modern medicine and antibiotic's, silver was used to fight infection and keep foods and liquids fresh.

Colloidal silver is available at any health food store, but it is quite expensive. A 4 oz. bottle will set one back $35 or so dollars. One good point is only a small amount is needed. A couple of drops rubbed on one's neck or face has the ability to take away any irritation or burn from shaving. I've found that using colloidal silver after doing a hot water rinse followed by a cold water rinse, has done wonders for my skin. The benefit of using colloidal silver is that the sub micro-particle's are absorbed into the body and fight any infection, no matter how small, that may be in the body. The silver is then excreted from the body through the normal process of elimination. All I know is that I continue to use my alum block and witch hazel, but since I've added a rinse with colloidal silver any incidence of razor burn or rash has been eliminated.

If there is any interest in colloidal silver please check it out on-line by just typing in colloidal silver, and doing some research. Not only does it help with minor shave related things, but it helps in many, many ways.

If you find an interest in colloidal silver, and would like to use it, drop me a PM. There is a company that sells a simple micro particle generator where you can produce your own colloidal silver which is equal to or better than that sold in health food stores, not for the $35 dollars plus, but for just about 32 cents per quart. There is also a manual that can be purchased that explains in detail the use and benefits of using colloidal silver.

I have no financial interest or gain in this company, but I have one myself, have been using it for just over a month, and find that the use of colloidal silver has been very beneficial to me. I'd be more than happy to pass along any information I have on this. :thumbup1: I do believe that you'll be more than satisfied.

Regards,

Paul

Although I've never heard a link between CS and shaving, I have heard CS has good properties to it for our bodies.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Just for balance you might want to read the article on quackwatch.com by Stephen Barrett, M.D. called "Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit"

Ever since mankind stepped in and started to engineer better and more powerful antibiotics have we started to lose ground against viruses, some of which are now resistant to any of our antibiotics. Science has found that some of the old ways of treatment are very effective.

How does the use of antibiotics prove that natural ways are better? After all, antibiotics are not even intended to combat viruses.

You know, if this were any other internet messaging board I'd really tear into this, but since you guys are such great gents I'll go easy...

Show me hard, scientific, peer-reviewed data that not only gauges the actual effectiveness of colloidal silver, but also explains why and how it works if it is shown to be. Until that time, you might as well try to convince me that my Chi is messed up, my chakras are misaligned, I have too many thetans in my body and need an audit, or that a Reiki practitioner waving their hands over my body will somehow have any effect on my well being.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I think I'll stick to my aftershave balms. :)

Oh, and do be careful... if you take too much of that stuff, you might end up looking like a smurf like this guy.

By the way, my apologies if I came across too snarky; it's probably just a knee-jerk reaction. In truth, I'm sure there are a lot of natural remedies out there that are as effective, if not more effective, than many of our pharmaceuticals and medical treatments.

That said though, I become very suspicious when these natural remedies are as expensive as something like colloidal silver. Make no mistake that there are a lot of con-men out there trying to make a buck off of anybody who's disillusioned by our often ineffective doctors and medical industry. From what I've seen, most natural remedies that aren't pretty much dirt cheap usually fall into that category. That's the litmus test I typically use anyway. I could very well be wrong.

Last edited:
You know, if this were any other internet messaging board I'd really tear into this, but since you guys are such great gents I'll go easy...

Show me hard, scientific, peer-reviewed data that not only gauges the actual effectiveness of colloidal silver, but also explains why and how it works if it is shown to be. Until that time, you might as well try to convince me that my Chi is messed up, my chakras are misaligned, I have too many thetans in my body and need an audit, or that a Reiki practitioner waving their hands over my body will somehow have any effect on my well being.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I think I'll stick to my aftershave balms. :)

Oh, and do be careful... if you take too much of that stuff, you might end up looking like a smurf like this guy.

Yes, this.

How does the use of antibiotics prove that natural ways are better? After all, antibiotics are not even intended to combat viruses.
Good pick up. As anyone who has tried to get antibiotics prescribed when a GP believes you have a virus, has found out.

Antibiotics fight bacterial infections - and many today are semi synthesised from natural ingredients. Others still use natural organisms in their production. You can't blame antibiotics for not winning the microbiological war - bugs always evolve, that isn't a reason to forget penicillin and other antibiotics have saved untold lives.

I'm not a big fan of 'natural' medicine; until it goes through the same trial and testing regime that standard medications are, so that we can clearly see their efficacy, benefits and side effect profiles, I won't be relying on them. And I'll be less likely to turn into a Smurf. :scared:

Although I've never heard a link between CS and shaving, I have heard CS has good properties to it for our bodies.

Just for balance you might want to read the article on quackwatch.com by Stephen Barrett, M.D. called "Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit"

It will also turn your skin permanently blue if you use too much of it. Not to mention that silver is a "heavy metal" and toxic in sufficient quantity. Stay away from the stuff.

Last edited:

Wes... I think burning some sage leaves will take care of the thetans for you. Either that or a heavy dose of chlopromazine if the sage doesn't work. :lol:

It will also turn your skin permanently blue if you use too much of it. Not to mention that silver is a "heavy metal" and toxic in sufficient quantity. Stay away from the stuff.

Ding, ding!

Please, gents, don't use colloidal silver. Use a good aftershave. Use better prep and better technique. Colloidal silver is just a bad, bad idea. Period.

Yes, silver has antibiotic properties. We actually use it in clinical medicine, too; a preparation that contains silver is used to prevent infections in burn wounds. However, it has no place in a shaving routine.

Wes... I think burning some sage leaves will take care of the thetans for you. Either that or a heavy dose of chlopromazine if the sage doesn't work. :lol:

Well, that's why I have WWXD tattooed on my wrist...

"What Would Xenu Do," for the uninitiated. ;)

:w00t:

While I appreciate you trying to bring us something that works well for you, I must say that it seems like overkill. I don't doubt that it probably works, but it's essentially washing your hands with chlorine: very effective, but potentially hazardous. With all products (natural ones included) you have to examine the cost:benefit ratio. Witch Hazel and Alum have a very low rate of negative reactions and are almost impossible to overdose.
As was stated above, the best way to treat razor burn is to examine why it occurs and simply prevent it from happening.

Man, now I'm confused. Don't know whether to use my minty silver plated double ring for the healing properties of the plating, or throw it out for fear of metal toxicity.

Better safe than sorry, I guess - into the trash it goes.

I just mentioned that I've heard of it. Not that I'm going to use it to relieve a symptom of bad technique. Nor am I going to use it for medicinal purposes. Vitamin C and red chili pepper flakes is my remedy for good health. But I do admit I have not done any research on it. Probably won't unless I decide to use it or have to write about it for a Master degree thesis.

And this post is not in any way shape or form meant to belittle the op. Every person has a right to their opinion. He has his, each of us have ours.

I don't doubt that it probably works, but it's essentially washing your hands with chlorine: very effective, but potentially hazardous.

Note to self: stop washing hands with chlorine. I can still gargle with chlorine, though, right? :biggrin:

Whew, guys. I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest or even to upset the apple cart. All I was doing was trying to show something that for me has been quite effective. Any wet shaver can experience that touch of razor burn and the occasional weeper or nick. The way I use the CS I have is in a small spritzer bottle that I give a couple of squirts with and then rub it around with my hand, just like a rinse with warm or cold water. I'm not making any claims either pro or con on this procedure. The every so often use of CS by me has proven to be helpful. I just thought I would pass along the info. I have should there be any interest by any member. Also the bit about looking like a blue smurf could possibly happen by consuming large quantities of large particle CS over long extended periods of time.

Regards,

Paul

Top Bottom