What's new

First homemade holiday drink - hot buttered rum

Did regular and holiday shopping from early this morning until about 40 minutes ago and am wiped out. Hate the crowds. Hate the traffic. Hate all the running around. Feet are sore and my back is screaming.

Finally got some food in me and made up an old family recipe of hot buttered rum batter, which is what I'm sipping on as I type this. Wonderful stuff. Really takes the tension right out of me.

Cheers!

I used Pusser's last night, but it can pair with any rum out there. Here's the recipe:

• 1/2 lb salted butter
  • 1/2 lb dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cream the butter and brown sugar together; I use a pastry knife. Add the spices and mix thoroughly. In a mug, add hot water, one heaping teaspoon of mix and a shot of rum. Thoroughly mix and drink. Yum!

Refrigerate any unused batter.

aww man :rolleyes: You can't tell us you used an "old family recipe" and not share

+1

I used Pusser's last night, but it can pair with any rum out there. Here's the recipe:

• 1/2 lb salted butter
Cream the butter and brown sugar together; I use a pastry knife. Add the spices and mix thoroughly. In a mug, add hot water, one heaping teaspoon of mix and a shot of rum. Thoroughly mix and drink. Yum!

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing!

+1.

Trader Vic's "famous" formula in his Bartender's Guide is similar except he uses 4:1 brown sugar to butter. Also he recommends light Puerto Rican rum, which I never quite understood. I think your choice of Pusser's is better.

That sounds fantastic. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never had a Hot Buttered Rum but this post just might make me change that. I'm guessing this isn't exactly for those of us looking to lose a few pounds, huh?

• 1/2 lb salted butter

Top Bottom