What's new

Gem reversible razor blade (double edge)

Strange. I just got one in a gem that arrived today.
Why did they do it? And if they're going to go to the trouble of doing it, why not make a razor that uses both edges? Yes, it's too stiff, I know, but that brings us back to why?

It's a matter of simple marketing.

Gillette at the time was marketing their blades as lasting longer, because each blade had two shaving edges. Gem was trying to make the playing field even, by also selling a blade with two shaving edges. :ohmy::ohmy:

Here it is if anyone wants to see it.

proxy.php

When I first saw one of these blades some time ago I immediately was impressed with the idea! Why waste an edge with a spine when you can get an extra cutting edge out of it? Use up one edge, turn it over and use the other. Use half the blades, and half the materials and labor to make it. It could well be one of the first environmentally responsible moves the razor industry made! (Although that most certainly was not their concern!)

My first thought was of the opposite edge getting dulled before use. It was shipped in a gem 1912, and the back edge makes contact with that little springy dilly. But I guess they do say 'fits only gem micromatic razors'.

When I first saw one of these blades some time ago I immediately was impressed with the idea! Why waste an edge with a spine when you can get an extra cutting edge out of it? Use up one edge, turn it over and use the other. Use half the blades, and half the materials and labor to make it. It could well be one of the first environmentally responsible moves the razor industry made! (Although that most certainly was not their concern!)

Nope. That honor has to go to the Rolls Razor. I reusable blade. Now that's environmentally responsible. Wish they'd bring it back.

So, is this a double-edged SE or a single-edged DE?:lol:

There wasn't a razor made specifically for these blades. The blade was made as a gimmick for the razors. You can use a normal blade in it.

The GEM reversible actually was made specifically for the GEM Micromatic, the MM razors made after the introduction of those blades had little bumps that raised the back of the blade the same way a spine would have. But modern GEM SE blades were also made specifically for the MM razors, with the central hole and edge cutouts that are necessary for the MM to work. Modern SE blades will also work in other GEM and Ever-Ready type razors the same way that Gillette New blades will work in three hole razors. The old GEM blades had no hole or edge slots.

There wasn't a razor made specifically for these blades. The blade was made as a gimmick for the razors. You can use a normal blade in it.

The GEM reversible actually was made specifically for the GEM Micromatic, the MM razors made after the introduction of those blades had little bumps that raised the back of the blade the same way a spine would have. But modern GEM SE blades were also made specifically for the MM razors, with the central hole and edge cutouts that are necessary for the MM to work. Modern SE blades will also work in other GEM and Ever-Ready type razors the same way that Gillette New blades will work in three hole razors. The old GEM blades had no hole or edge slots.

To make it simple, just use modern GEM stainless blades in all GEM type razors. :thumbup1:

Thank you for the info, fellas! Looking forward to giving my new toy a spin, I will post updates.

GEM made the first TTO, they were also making safety razors long before Gillette existed, King Gillette was holding a GEM razor when he hatched the idea to make and sell his own blades. If you want some firsts! :thumbup1:

Well, I’ll start the New Year with this twice ( now third! ) revived Necro Thread. Has anyone tried a Gem Reversable with an Ever-Ready 24-14 (little lather catcher)? Comparing the base to my Micromatic open comb, it looks like it could work.

I took a closer look, and answered my own question. The Ever-Ready has the same rear spring retainer as many other SE razors of the time, and would damage the back edge of the blade.

Top Bottom