What's new

Embarrassed to ask.

Ok, so I know this is probably a dumb question but, do people wear an aftershave an a cologne or is it either/or? Are aftershaves primarily a skin toner while a cologne is primarily for a longer lasting scent?

So maybe I have more than just one dumb question. Do you generally wear the same AS and cologne or can you mix? I know this maybe a YMMV situation, but just curious what the general consensus is. I'm not sure I'd be too good at matching a different AS and cologne to get something that didn't clash.

Like a lot of things in life it depends.
AS is for skin conditioning, some have strong concentrations of fragrance some don't.
If you use some AS splashes they are gone almost right away, some will last all day.

For example Musgo real AS splash can be used with almost any EDT or cologne.

Pashana is an aftershave that has a fragrance concentration of a cologne. DR Harris Sandalwood is another cologne strength splash.

Generally speaking an aftershave is to help relieve your skin after shaving and a cologne is just for attracting "chicks" :w00t::thumbup1:

Happy Friday Everyone!

Not a dumb question at all. Generally aftershaves contain less fragrance oil/essential oils than colognes. Therefore, they don't last very long. AS generally contain more alcohol and glycerin, etc. to help heal your skin.

I use an aftershave and then layer with a cologne after the AS has dried on my skin. Nevertheless, their are some AS that are stronger than some. Some gents wear this AS as a cologne as well.

Not a dumb question at all. Generally aftershaves contain less fragrance oil/essential oils than colognes. Therefore, they don't last very long. AS generally contain more alcohol and glycerin, etc. to help heal your skin.

I use an aftershave and then layer with a cologne after the AS has dried on my skin. Nevertheless, their are some AS that are stronger than some. Some gents wear this AS as a cologne as well.

Thanks, Austin.

Any thoughts on staying in the same family when using both an AS and cologne? Just personal preference?

Thanks, Austin.

Any thoughts on staying in the same family when using both an AS and cologne? Just personal preference?

For me it's just personal preference. I rarely buy cologne based AS. I prefer other AS that I know are fleeting. Boosters and SCS are my current favorites.

The bottom line is:

If you want to treat your skin, use an aftershave product.

If you want to smell nice, use a cologne.

It varies. Some of us use an unscented after shave balm, and use cologne or eau de toilette as a fragrance. I use Nivea a lot which is pretty much scent free.

Some also will use an after shave and EdT of the same brand.

The thing with after shave as a daily "scent" is that AS is usually weaker strength for the fragrance, heavier alcohol for finishing the shave. Doesn't last as long and isn't meant for slapping on your chest or wrists.

But there are also scented after shave balms that match EdTs. I use those from time to time.

Unless the after shave balm is really "loud", I don't worry too much about occasional "mixing." i.e. I'll often use AOS Sandalwood AS balm, but wear another scent.
The AS balm is not a long lasting, powerful scent. Stays in background.

The rule is there is no rule. Hope this doesn't get confusing.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some of us use AS as a cologne.
I have a larger quantity of favorite AS than I do favorite colognes, and usually I just use AS alone.

In this day and age, one would think that there would be a market for a combo product...Cologashave or Aftalogne.

I see a two part, epoxy type product with a dial selector. Fragrance in one tube, soothing aftershave in another, brought together in pre-selected proportions and dispensed through a mixing nozzle.

Here's the commercial:

Cue "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye.

Shot of a man finishing up a shave. He hesitates as he views several aftershave products.

"Not every day is the same. Why should your After Shave control you, when you can take control with Aftalogne, with the Select-A-Scent dial right on bottle?"

Man smugly sweeps old-fashioned products off counter, smiles and nods as he takes the Aftalogne in hand.

"Tone it down for the boardroom, turn it up for the bedroom. With Aftalogne, you can make an understated statement or boldly declare your intentions."

Close up of man setting dial on bottle from "Prosiac" all the way to "Panty Dropping"

In this day and age, one would think that there would be a market for a combo product...Cologashave or Aftalogne.

I see a two part, epoxy type product with a dial selector. Fragrance in one tube, soothing aftershave in another, brought together in pre-selected proportions and dispensed through a mixing nozzle.

Here's the commercial:

Shot of a man finishing up a shave. He hesitates as he views several aftershave products.

"Not every day is the same. Why should your After Shave control you, when you can take control with Aftalogne, with the Select-A-Scent dial right on bottle?"

Man smugly sweeps old-fashioned products off counter, smiles and nods as he takes the Aftalogne in hand.

"Tone it down for the boardroom, turn it up for the bedroom. With Aftalogne, you can make an understated statement or boldly declare your intentions."

Close up of man setting dial on bottle from "Prosiac" all the way to "Panty Dropping"

:lol::lol: How do you come up with this stuff?? Awesome.

Here's the commercial:

Get that man a job in Marketing! That's beautiful.

Here's the commercial:

:lol::lol::lol:

Using witch hazel as an AS (which has almost no scent), then a cologne is also an option I employ regularly.

Though with the recent cold snap in my area a hefty dose of Bay Rum has been the choice.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Here's the commercial:

Reminds me of this product
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8gihmZT9EQ[/YOUTUBE]

I do if the AS/ASB has an accompanied EdC. If I wear C.O. Bigelow Blue Elixer ASB, I'll give myself a few sprays with the matching cologne. On days I wear Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Tabac and Clubman Pinuad, I put it on my face and maybe a little on my shirt so I smell good all day!

I'm pretty new to their product line, but yesterday I wore Santa Maria Novella Pactoulli after shave to work. I put it on at 5:30 a.m., at 4:00 p.m., I had a secretary asking me what was that wonderful scent in my office.

I'm pretty new to their product line, but yesterday I wore Santa Maria Novella Pactoulli after shave to work. I put it on at 5:30 a.m., at 4:00 p.m., I had a secretary asking me what was that wonderful scent in my office.

Nice! Beware, though. My former assistant is now my wife.:001_tt1:

Top Bottom