What's new

Is Harris twice as good as TOBS?

As above. I can buy a tub of TOBS for £7 and the same place is selling Harris for £14. Is the Harris a bigger tub or does it last twice as long? What makes Harris cost twice as much?

I haven't used Harris in quite a while and was not overly impressed by it. I think Taylor and Salter creams are the benchmark for quality and price. You may find just the opposite and the only way to know is to try one or both. I believe the tub size for Taylor and Harris are the same.

I have used Harris, and while I like the scents, I think TOBS, and Salter are a superior product. Salter especially considering that their scents are heavenly. :w00t::w00t::001_tt1:

In fact, I actually found Harris significantly more difficult to properly lather than TOBS.

Harris and TOBS have the same size tubs, 150g. So you decide if its worth 2x the money, I don't think so.
I agree with the consensus above, and was equally unimpressed by Harris. For me, when it comes to English creams, Salter is the clear winner.

I do think Harris provides a richer, more lubricating lather, particularly when bowl lathering. But, if I worried about a linear price/value relationship, I'd just use butter on my face. I use a variety of creams and enjoy them all.

Larry

Color me unimpressed with the Harris creams as well.

The soaps on the other hand :001_tt1:

Ditto.

D.R. creams are not as good as their soaps.

Taylor has got a under appreciated line up in creams but I'd line up their cologne scents to the end of the line up though.

I just got a tube of Arlington cream and aftershave splash. I like it well enough. It has a nice scent to it. The problem is that it is going to do battle for time against TOBS Jermyn St. I do like the aftershave splash and I think I'd like to try the soap.

The only experience I have with TOBS creams is Jermyn St. and Almond. I think I have a contact allergy with the benzaldehyde(ingredient used to give it the almond scent) in the almond cream.

The better value so far has been the Jermyn St. The Arlington tube is about the same price as the Jermyn St. jar.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There are better creams out there than TOBS, but not many, and usually you have to pay a lot more for that small improvement. You can stick with TOBS and know that you have a high quality, reasonably priced, cream.

Color me unimpressed with the Harris creams as well.

The soaps on the other hand :001_tt1:

No wonder you can't get a decent lather out of the creams ... you have a puck of soap in your other hand. :blink:

There are better creams out there than TOBS, but not many, and usually you have to pay a lot more for that small improvement. You can stick with TOBS and know that you have a high quality, reasonably priced, cream.

No wonder you can't get a decent lather out of the creams ... you have a puck of soap in your other hand. :blink:

Mixing their creams with their soaps the only real shot you have at getting a decent lather out of them :tongue_sm

Top Bottom