What's new

Good beginner's razor?

Hi guys, I've been DE shaving for a while and have build quite the collection of soaps, creams and a number of brushes. I think it's time to move on to something more interesting though, and I think straights might be it. So, I'm asking you guys what you think of the razor and strop I'm getting for christmas? I want something relatively inexpensive (as I'm not sure if I'll stick with straight shaving or not) but still good quality.

The razor is a restored Richard Abr. Herder Solingen from bobsrazors. (Rich. Abr. Herder Solingen, Germany - Detailed item view - Our Online Shop)

The strop is an Heirloom Latigo "Barber's Friend" Strop. (https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=1qygpcgurkovy)

What do you think?

Thanks!

I think any of those would be fine.
May be the only thing to consider is that those two are spike points, that can be somewhat hazardous for a newbie.

Last edited:
I think any of those would be fine.
May be the only thing to consider is that those two are spike points, that can be somewhat hazardous for a newbie.

The only thing I was worried about was that one or two of those have square points instead of round. Is that a big deal for someone new to straight razors? Does the square point just require a little more care/patience/diligence?

Does the square point just require a little more care/patience/diligence?

Yes.

That sharp corner can poke a place you are not even concentrating on (first-hand experience!) like an ear while you are focusing on the cheek.

There are other places you can "loose track" of that corner. The blade seems to grow in length when you are not looking at the tip!

I just wanted to mention that Robert Keyes is an excellent person to deal with, and I think his razors are probably the best ones out there for anyone, including a newbie, to purchase. Bob does a fantastic job with his restorations, his prices are unfailingly reasonable, and if you don't like what he's sent you, he will move mountains to make you happy.

And no, Bob is not my brother-in-law or anything else, but I have bought about 4 or 5 razors from him, and he is in the process of honing or rescaling a few others right now too, so I take every opportunity I get to let others know about how good his work is. And I know lots of others on this site would say the exact same thing about Bob that I have.

Top Bottom