What's new

In Praise of Japanese Aftershaves

How does Mandom compare to Speick? that's the only splash I have and tried. Is Mandom's smell light or overpowering? Thanks in advance.

Mandom smells nothing like Speick. It's a dry leather chypre, VERY reminiscent of Aramis with a bit lighter scent. It's nice to the skin, but not as much as Speick.

Mandom doesn't fade like most splashes, it really lingers. It wasn't as conditioning/moisturizing as I like. If you want a detailed description just get on youtube and look up "charles bronson mandom commercial". It's worth looking up.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got to push this thread back up. Japanese AS is quite something guys and if you never tried them, please do. I know they are difficult to find and can be very expensive but, they are very unique. I know what I would get if I would go to Japan on holiday!

Which
one is the most sophisticated?

I personally love Shiseido Basala/Basara.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It may be out of production, but on my last trip
to my local Mitsuwa here in SoCal they had several
bottles for sale at the Shiseido counter.

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread brought back to life!

Freshest, crispest scent for me is Tactics without a doubt! In fact, were it not Saturday morning when I can't be bothered shaving, I would splash some on right now!

Glad to see this thread brought back to life!

Freshest, crispest scent for me is Tactics without a doubt! In fact, were it not Saturday morning when I can't be bothered shaving, I would splash some on right now!

+1 on Tactics. I too love the fresh green scent.

We have a Mitsuwa Market Place not far from where I live. My wife and I usually make a run there once per month, so now I will have to look for some of these aftershaves.

We have a Mitsuwa Market Place not far from where I live. My wife and I usually make a run there once per month, so now I will have to look for some of these aftershaves.

The Mitsuwa in my area carries Mandom, a couple versions of Lucido, and Shiseido Bravas in the market. If there is a Shiseido counter outside the market check that out as well they may have some.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The Mitsuwa in my area carries Mandom, a couple versions of Lucido, and Shiseido Bravas in the market. If there is a Shiseido counter outside the market check that out as well they may have some.

Ah snap! That's what I call lucky! Those are great AS that I would keep in my rotation if I could find them locally!

I personally love Shiseido Basala/Basara.

proxy.php

proxy.php

It may be out of production, but on my last trip
to my local Mitsuwa here in SoCal they had several
bottles for sale at the Shiseido counter.

Any that are in current production?

I meet with clients, I want something that is young, clean, and modern.

Just ordered some Lucido from Royal Shave. Their balm is out of stock. Just my luck! Can't wait to try it the a/s. I wish I was in my birthtown, Okinawa, I'd be able to pick up all the mentioned A/S splashes & balms. Argh. One will have to do. Lucido A/S balm....hmmmm If anyone come across this one let me know! Well, thanks for the post & incentive.

UPDATE: A very generous member made on of his own stock available. Got the balm! Yes! Thank you!

Last edited:
Now I have to get some Japanese after shave. I am a huge fan of Japanese products. Can anyone help a guy out? picking some up and shipping them? or any recommendations? I am loving that Shiseido one.

Top Bottom