What's new

In Praise of Japanese Aftershaves

I picked up a couple of bottles of Lucido on a recent trip to Singapore (from Mustafa's 24-hour emporium of goodness). These will make their way into the rotation once I've made a dent in the current rotation, the back-up stash, the other back-up stash, etc.

I've also got on order (from a vendor on the bay, http://stores.ebay.com.au/Rinatoshop?_trksid=p2047675.l2563) 1 each of Bravas, Vintage and Auslese. Will let you know how they go in terms of arrival condition, description, etc.

The pricing was good too: the Bravas was $A14.76 plus $A5.99 to ship direct from Japan. Well, the listings claim the goods are in Japan, however my PayPal receipt is from a yahoo.com.tw address.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I picked up a couple of bottles of Lucido on a recent trip to Singapore (from Mustafa's 24-hour emporium of goodness). These will make their way into the rotation once I've made a dent in the current rotation, the back-up stash, the other back-up stash, etc.

I've also got on order (from a vendor on the bay, http://stores.ebay.com.au/Rinatoshop?_trksid=p2047675.l2563) 1 each of Bravas, Vintage and Auslese. Will let you know how they go in terms of arrival condition, description, etc.

The pricing was good too: the Bravas was $A14.76 plus $A5.99 to ship direct from Japan. Well, the listings claim the goods are in Japan, however my PayPal receipt is from a yahoo.com.tw address.

Nice find! Check your bottles when you get them if they are marked "Made in Japan" or not. The MG5 seems to be made in Vietnam now and it's not the same anymore. The last I heard, Vintage and Bravas where still made in Japan. Bravas was closer to MG5 than the other AS I tried. Those two were fantastic and very old school. I do not know about Auslese as I never tried it.

There is some available here and here. They use to carry it at my local Japanese store but I haven't see it for sale there in a long time.

I'm not sure whether this will cure or exacerbate anyone's JASAD, but I thought I might share the Rakuten descriptions:

• Mandom: I tighten skin after the shaving coolly and prepare rough skin
  • Lordos: It is the grand fragrance that added Woody - with the depth to フゼア letting you feel the calm of the man.It is the lotion after the shaver which I tighten skin for a pleasant refreshing feel, and lets it can be set smoothly and refresh.
  • MG5: I grind skin refreshingly smartly
  • Lucido: It is moistened without any regret and keeps skin. With skin roughness, the umbrella after the shaver prevent. Because it is no fragrance, I am not worried about a fragrance. I prepare skin easily without having a sore it. I give moisture without it is easy to be familiar with skin, and being sticky.
  • Uno: I prevent a razor defeat.

The Lordos has "added Woody", so that's got to be good, and the Lucido is "moistened without regret" (although I've never come across any regrettable moistenings in my time). I'm not sure what "razor defeat" is, but it sounds very very bad. My guess is that all 5 of these should be used in combination, just to cover all the bases.

Luc

Staff member
My advice is to stay away from Lordos. It smelled like my grandma! Unless you like that, of course.

Nice find! Check your bottles when you get them if they are marked "Made in Japan" or not. The MG5 seems to be made in Vietnam now and it's not the same anymore. The last I heard, Vintage and Bravas where still made in Japan. Bravas was closer to MG5 than the other AS I tried. Those two were fantastic and very old school. I do not know about Auslese as I never tried it.

They haven't arrived yet, but the eBay tracking takes me to Japan Post which shows the goods were sent from Hokkaido. I will, of course, check country of origin when the goods arrive.

On that point, I note all my pairs of Converse CT All Stars are all made in Vietnam. I wonder if there's anybody left who laments when they stopped making them Stateside (and the quality was probably better too).

These arrived today. The Bravas and the Auslese are made in Vietnam, but the Vintage is Made in Japan.

I won't be working these into rotation just yet - I've had a cold for the last 2 months that just refuses to die, and it's presently at the "I can't smell or taste anything" stage, so there's not much point in opening these up.

:a46::a16:

$IMG_00000096.jpg$IMG_00000097.jpg

Luc

Staff member
Bravas is now made in Vietnam? Bummer! That was my second favourite Japanese AS... Vintage is quite good. Auslese, I never tried it....

+1 never knew they existed. Guess I'll have to go by one of our local Ouwajimaya stores.

How about China? Any good Chinese after shaves?

Unfortunately, no. I have been travelling to China regularly the last few years, but the only AS splashes I have been able to find there (besides the global designer brands available in high-end department stores) are Gillette Cool Wave and a few from the Adidas range. Then again, it's possible that I just don't know where to look.

Unfortunately, no. I have been travelling to China regularly the last few years, but the only AS splashes I have been able to find there (besides the global designer brands available in high-end department stores) are Gillette Cool Wave and a few from the Adidas range. Then again, it's possible that I just don't know where to look.

Do you ever see anything like this? Sorry to go off topic, Luc.

proxy.php

This has been my go to AS recently. I dig the old man smell more than some of the other "hipper" young guy scents out there. It's pretty cheap at my local drug store

$E126773H_L.jpg

I see this and keep thinking they left out the "T". Or maybe, for once, they ran it past Legal before hitting the print button...

I hear ya but in Japan simply saying "ero" means sexual/sexually deviant derived from "eros". I'm guessing that they thought they could just get their message across with the way they printed it. Which is interesting because it has a very traditional old man smell. It's almost as if a traditional old spice was mixed with a baby powder/talc.

I'm definitely a fan of the more traditional scents though so it suits me, even if my coworkers hate it.

Being that we're both in the same are of the work (kind of) please PM me some places that you order from! I appreciate it.

Being that we're both in the same are of the work (kind of) please PM me some places that you order from! I appreciate it.

PM sent! But I just realised I forgot to include iHerb - they have great service/rates Down Under, I imagine they would be no different to Nihon.

PM sent! But I just realised I forgot to include iHerb - they have great service/rates Down Under, I imagine they would be no different to Nihon.

Thanks for all the info! Plus, I'll try iHerb too!

I took a trip down to Sendai with the Mrs. and couldn't find any shaving soaps at l'occitane nor Lush. Girls at Lush said they would have soap pucks after the new store opens at the end of the month!

But.... I did find this at Yodobashi Camera

$IMG_6746.jpg

Someone was asking about it earlier in the thread. I've never used it though.

Top Bottom