What's new

In Praise of Japanese Aftershaves

Here you go, they have Mandom in stock!
http://www.webichi.com

Cheers,
David

I went to this site. They have 11 pages of Mandom products, but the aftershave was not among them, as far as I could tell. They did have the unscented Lucido aftershave, though. Price was 10.99 I think, and I don't know what the shipping charge would be.

I wish they had an ingredient list for it. I'm curious as to exactly what is in it.

Put me down for the rest of the Japanese a/s splashes. For all the Bronson-esque jokes about Mandom, it is very good splash. I was expecting hell fire but it was really very mild on my skin. The MG 5 and Lucido are intriguing. Guarantee you none of the guys at work will ever be wearing Mandom, let alone the others.

Regards, Todd

I could go either way with the Auslese but I really like the Valcan. I had a bunch of free samples of Auslese that my wife picked up at a hotel somewhere. When they ran out, I didn't buy any more, but I ponied up for the Valcan. I like it a lot.

I could go either way with the Auslese but I really like the Valcan. I had a bunch of free samples of Auslese that my wife picked up at a hotel somewhere. When they ran out, I didn't buy any more, but I ponied up for the Valcan. I like it a lot.

Interesting. I see that there are about three different Auslese aftershaves...wonder which one(s) you tried. Interesting too on the Vulcan, it just looks straight out of the 60s that stuff! Might have to shell out the money to give it a try.

Hey congrats on the custom title too! :thumbup:

Hey congrats on the custom title too! :thumbup:

There are old Marines
And there are bold Marines
But, there are no old, bold Marines.

What's interesting to me about the title is the irony, since the Nid Hog is obviously a calm veneer plastered over a wild cacophony of violence, lust and rage that is only kept in tenuous check by the expression of the warrior's soul through the tasteful use of fragrances and exploration of shaving nostrums gathered from all corners of the earth.

I shudder to think of the dark day when that powderkeg reaches into the medicine cabinet and finds it empty.:blink:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was having a look on google if I couldn't find Japanese aftershaves for sale in Oz.

Couldn't find anything but there was a Japanese seller on ebay that sells Bravas, MG5, Auslese, Paradigm, Lucido, Lordos and Uno...

Any ideas on the last 4?

I was having a look on google if I couldn't find Japanese aftershaves for sale in Oz.

Couldn't find anything but there was a Japanese seller on ebay that sells Bravas, MG5, Auslese, Paradigm, Lucido, Lordos and Uno...

Any ideas on the last 4?

Never heard of Paradigm or Lordos. Uno is everywhere but I've never tried it...looks like a young guy's product though. Might have to give it a go.

EDIT: Just looked up Paradigm and it looks like it's made by Shiseido. They make some really expensive aftershaves that look pretty cool but I've never tried them:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Never heard of Paradigm or Lordos. Uno is everywhere but I've never tried it...looks like a young guy's product though. Might have to give it a go.

EDIT: Just looked up Paradigm and it looks like it's made by Shiseido. They make some really expensive aftershaves that look pretty cool but I've never tried them:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks Dave!

Looks like I have more stuff to try... ASAD... :001_rolle

Looks like they are both actually available in the states:

Basala:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Z7FVPA

Tactics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370296614909

Review of Basala cologne:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120169.html

Looks like the Tactics (1979) cologne is well-liked as well
:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121555.html

EDIT: I just found an online retailer in Japan that sells both the Tactics aftershave and 3 sizes of cologne! From what I've read it's very hard to get...not so it would seem! The basenotes reviews have got me thinking that I might have to change my tactics....:blush:

Last edited:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Those both look very cool. I actually saw the Tactics in a little shop in an Okinawan shopping arcade this summer. I was on a Mandom hunt, so I didn't check it out. The Basara sounds good too--I like the reviews. Sigh. More things for my next shopping trip to Japan.

Actually I see you can get MG5 on Ebay but it costs $19.00 plus $14 shipping from Japan. $33? Don't do it boys - that's a rip-off. Webichi also charges $24.99 for Bravas...it costs about $12 here. :blink: Their Mandom is a deal though!

Dunno, the Mandom is about a 100% mark up as well. Not that 10$ is expensive.

Has anybody every tried the Basala? I'm tempted (for no good reason), but I don't want to lay out $40 if it's not that great.

I have the green Auslese, and the purple Auslese trocken. The green is light citrus type scent and the purple has a very light floral scent.

Both actually moisturize the face, no dry burned out skin after application.

Bravas has a more bold fragrance that lingers longer with a tiny touch of a menthol kick, no where near as much as Aqua Velva.

I really like the Auslese stuff, there is also a aftershave cream that comes in a little jar, similar in looks to the pre/post Proraso. Also an Auslese light aftershave, have not tried either of these though.

I just got back from the Hardware store ( Nafco) this evening where I was picking up a small garbage can and a toilet bowl brush. Well anyways, I saw this hair tonic stuff, called Mandom, and I looked at my buddy and said to him "I stared Mandom right in the eye and said NO!"

Funny I just heard of the stuff from this thread. I did look at the shave gear they had there, and although I was genuinely apalled at the size of thier 5 blade razor, i only saw some regular Feather razors (not the platinum) and a bunch of canned foams and three different shave gels. I didn't really notice any aftershaves there, or I would have bought the Mandom.

I did pick up a terrible tasting pre-packaged pastery that I thought would be like a moon-pie while waiting for checkout. Picture is attached.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well guess I will have to run down to the store tomorrow and try a brand. I have never bought any AS here because I didn't know if it was any good. A lot of skincare products here can be pretty iffy.

Top Bottom