What's new

In Praise of Japanese Aftershaves

It's hard to say what I would recommend first. We have lots of threads about Mandom and I bet that there's a fair amount of interest in trying it out. It does have an unusual, manly scent and not nearly as controversial as our locally grown LV. I have no complaints about it. Every day that I use it I always chuckle to myself and say, "Heh--I'm wearing Mandom today!"

Lucido would be a great candidate for a scentless aftershave that gives you a brisk menthol wakeup and is very kind to your skin.

MG5, Valcan and Bravas are all nicely scented, extremely effective aftershaves too.

Mandom lingers for a while, but for the most part the scent of the aftershave dissipates in short order so they won't interfere with whatever cologne, EdT you use. If that's a concern, Lucido is made especially for you.

I like the everyday reliability of Aqua Velva, the nostalgic barbershop aura of Clubman, the herbal kindness of Proraso and the overall odd and pleasant feeling of Alt-Innsbruck (as a note, I bet a lot of indie fans are happy that there's an Alt-Innsbruck available). But if all of my aftershaves--every last one of them--disappeared tomorrow, I could happily continue wetshaving with only the Japanese ***. No joke.

I'm not much of a balm guy, but maybe Thunderball or another of our Japan-dwelling B&B members could speak to them. Most of the AS that I've mentioned are part of a wide range that includes balms, hair tonics and lotions, and even pomades.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Indeed. So as not to incite a maelstrom of jealousy I won't say publicly that I can get on my bike and have every one of the aftershaves you mentioned within 30 minutes. Oh sorry, it just slipped out! :w00t: I've even staked out a few remaining strongholds of Mandom supply. :thumbup1: Of course actually getting them to my B&B brethren is the tough part. :closedeye

But yes, something must be done...about that there can be no doubt. I used MG5 this morning and it simply kicks ***. Lucido unscented is amazing. I may have to do up some more packages for the folks here...I put two on the BST months back and they lasted about 10 minutes. Lucky Luc! :001_tongu

:biggrin:

I have two bottles of Lucido. It is great! No scent, great aftershave. Picked some up at a Mitsuwa market in Chicago!

I'm not much of a balm guy, but maybe Thunderball or another of our Japan-dwelling B&B members could speak to them. Most of the AS that I've mentioned are part of a wide range that includes balms, hair tonics and lotions, and even pomades.

I haven't actually tried many of the balms/tonics/lotions/pomades but they do look interesting. Even in the ten years I've been here I have noticed many, many stores slowly downsizing their supplies of these kinds of things (along with Feather blades) as the older folks slowly start to, well...disappear. There is a massive generation gap here and nobody under 50 would be caught dead here using anything like Mandom or a DE razor for that matter. Kind of sad, especially when you consider that the average Japanese person's role model had gone from guys like Toshiro Mifune:

proxy.php

To guys like this:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Do you think these guys even shave, let alone use a DE or Mandom? Yeah right! I had a funny discussion with my students (17-18 year old girls) a few months back after I made a comment about all the girly-boys on the posters in the classroom. They asked me, "Well then who do you think is cool in Japan"?? I thought about it and brought three pictures of Japanese guys I thought were pretty cool-looking dudes...they all screamed in disgust!! Anything even remotely rugged or manly is pretty much frowned upon (or at least run away from) in Japan these days. The offending members:

Koji Murofushi (Olympic hammer-thrower)

proxy.php

Genki Sudo (ex-MMA freak)

proxy.php

Hiroyuki Sanada (actor)

proxy.php

Well, the kids thought I was out of my freaking mind. "Oh my God, those guys just look scaaaary!" *sigh* Am I just getting old...? :blush: Needless to say, products like Mandom will soon be unneeded in this fair country.

No, you're not getting old. There's something very strange going on in young Japanese perceptions of what's masculine and what's feminine--and how they should relate to one another.

If the three guys that you posted are creepy, I guess that nobody has the time of day for Sakuraba.

proxy.php

Well, I guess we don't need to worry about a resurgence of Japanese militarism.

Well, hopefully not. There are however plenty of hard-*** tough guys here...they just aren't considered 'mainstream popular' or 'cool' with the general populace. Years ago when I walked into my first dojo here I was like 'holy crap!' where have all these destroyers been hiding?! I found out what a puss I was after the first 5 minutes. :blush:

Lucido, Auslese, MG5, Valcan and Bravas are all outstanding and I would put them up against any of the other aftershaves that are in use among our members.

Hmmm...I received a bottle of Lucido about 8 months ago in a mystery box and have not tried it yet. Thank you for bringing this up...I will give the Lucido a try in the next few days.

This thread inspired me head out and make some purchases today...another 3-pack is set to drop on the BST boys....watch for it...:thumbup1:

One of these days, I'll find brick and mortar Mandom.

'Til that glorious day, I am doomed to live a life of....unBronson girliness.:crying:

proxy.php

One of these days, I'll find brick and mortar Mandom.

'Til that glorious day, I am doomed to live a life of....unBronson girliness.:crying:

proxy.php

I'm speechless. While you're waiting for treasure ship full of Mandom to arrive from the East, you should fill the tub up with Lilac Vegetal and get in. And stay in. It might not help, but it can't hurt.

Top Bottom