What's new

In Praise of Japanese Aftershaves

I'm so happy to see this thread alive again. It seemed to have died so many times before!
Japan has sooooo many great aftershaves!

I'm so happy to see this thread alive again. It seemed to have died so many times before!
Japan has sooooo many great aftershaves!

Yes - and I'm about to pull the trigger on Tactics based on your comments here, as well as some others'. Was thrilled to find MG5 for $10 shipped​ recently, but unfortunately the vendor is currently out of stock. Should have bought more when I had the chance!

Yes - and I'm about to pull the trigger on Tactics based on your comments here, as well as some others'. Was thrilled to find MG5 for $10 shipped​ recently, but unfortunately the vendor is currently out of stock. Should have bought more when I had the chance!

I have the aftershave and the cologne. It's such a fresh scent, perfect for summer :001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

MG5 is not what it used to be now that it's made in Vietnam. It's all right but not worth it anymore IMO...

I see a bit higher that Bravas is also made in Vietnam now(http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...of-Japanese-Aftershaves?p=5397825#post5397825). I have yet to try it...

MG5 is not what it used to be now that it's made in Vietnam. It's all right but not worth it anymore IMO...

I see a bit higher that Bravas is also made in Vietnam now(http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...of-Japanese-Aftershaves?p=5397825#post5397825). I have yet to try it...

My sole bottle of MG5 is made in Vietnam. Having never had the opportunity to try the original Japan version, i don't know what I'm missing and ignorance is bliss as they say! It's a fine $10 aftershave, but I wouldn't pay any more than that for it.

i have a few bottles of Bravas. What's interesting is that I have two different label styles - but both are made in Japan. Style 1, on the left, has "Shiseido" on the front label and the rear label is in English. Style 2, on the right, is in Japanese and omits the brand identification on the front label. Also, the English version is a darker colored liquid than the Japanese version. I haven't used the two variations enough to discern a difference in scent or effectiveness. It may just be marketing and packaging tweaks for different markets.

in post #328 of this thread, it's indicated that Bravas is now made in Vietnam (your link above). The accompanying photo looks like Style 2 (Japanese version) but I can't make out the country of origin on the label. The bottle sure looks like my bottle, which is (still) made in Japan. Curious...

$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 194

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sounds like I may need to try and source a "Vietnamese" bottle...

My bottle of Mandom arrived a few days ago!

$D7K_3725.jpg

Just as I've heard it described, it is indeed a dual-note citrus and musk scent. The musk note is slightly funky and seems so familiar, though it has taken me a couple of days to place it. Today it clicked - it's the muskiness of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve! I expected Mandom to engulf me like the leaded exhaust from a 1974 Dodge Charger, but it was (much) more subtle than that and quite pleasant to wear. And the bottle is iconic!

Since the camera is out, here's a couple more tributes to fine Japanese aftershaves...

$D7K_3687.jpg

$D7K_3690.jpg

Might have to dig out my Mandom. Haven't worn any strong aftershaves since our son was born 16 months ago. Only Lucido in all that time!

Where did you get your Mandom? There was a spell there where it was impossible to find.

i got it from a vendor on Amazon for $14.xx delivered:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQOMW6/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

It took 2 or 3 weeks to arrive.

I've recently had luck with Rakuten Global and a drug store/vendor there called KenkoExpress. They were very responsive to emails and were fortunately fairly fluent with English (I know no Japanese). Rakuten Global isn't as user-friendly as Amazon and isn't for the easily intimidated (varying exchange rates, emails in 99% Japanese, very poor site search engine, etc.) but you can potentially get items much cheaper, even with EMS shipping, than you could on, say, eBay. My recent purchases seem to have been the same price as would be found locally in Japan, with a nominal tax applied and about a 40-50% shipping charge. Once shipped, my order arrived in 2 or 3 days - amazing!

Lucido has been available in a store here for many years but I have never given it an opportunity, until recently.
It's now my favourite (together with Nivea sensitive), and I think it's because of its lack of heavy scent, plus the light menthol feel

$niveaas-shavingcreamandlucido1.jpg

The vendor on eBay from whom I purchased my MG5 weeks ago has refreshed his stock. At less than $10 shipped, it's probably the cheapest you're ever going to find it if you don't live in Japan or have a Mitsuwa market near you. I'm buying a few bottles (it's a great, Mandom-like bottle) but don't mean to hype it up. It's a very light, subtle citrus scent that fades quickly - pleasant and inoffensive, but nothing extraordinary. If you've been curious to try a Japanese aftershave, this is certainly an easy way to do so.

(I'm unclear on guidelines for posting eBay links, but a search for "MG5 aftershave" pulls it right up. It's a Buy-it-Now listing.)

These Rakuten Global purchases arrived recently - Vintage & Tactics aftershaves, both by Shiseido.

$D7K_3758.jpg

Vintage, as hinted at by its light blue color, is a dialed-down version of Aqua Velva (Classic) Ice Blue. In fact, it's so similar scent-wise I had to A-B compare this with Aqua Velva a number of times to discern any difference other than intensity. Perhaps it has a slightly more citrus top versus AV's musk. Other than that, it's just a "diluted" AV and likely not worth the (much) greater cost to obtain other than for its esoteric attraction. I really like the bottle and will refill it with AV when it's empty!

$D7K_3754.jpg

Tactics, on the other hand, is a truly unique scent. It's a very subdued musk, with a sharp green grassy note and a soft powder finish. I can't think of anything I've tried that is similar. It's a sophisticated scent, perfect for warmer weather, as mentioned by Brian (Bluebriz) in a previous post. I purchased the cologne as well, and it matches the scent of the aftershave. Fantastic bottle design!

Both of these Shiseido aftershaves are made in Japan, and the labels are in Japanese, so I have no idea what face-nurturing ingredients may be in them...

Great buys Steve. I love Tactics aftershave.

Does the cologne have a green ring on the neck?

I need to pick up some up.

Top Bottom