What's new

Super Speeds

I got three 40's era super speeds in the mail (ebay purchases). Is it just me or are these razors built like freaking T-34 tanks? I don't know how they shave yet, but they look like they'll outlast the Great Pyramids.

Don't know anything about that tank, but going from an HD to a Superpseed, even the HD Rocket was a downgrade for me in terms of robustness and weight. What you been using up to now? A 34c's much heavier than a 40's Superspeed and as far a Barberpole HD, that makes any SS look at bit wimpy. Having said that, they are extemely well made IMO

I am not having much success with my tech, but love my slim at a setting of 4. How does the ss rate in comparison?

I am not having much success with my tech, but love my slim at a setting of 4. How does the ss rate in comparison?

The SS would probably be about like the Slim at 3 or so. I like my adjustable to be at 5 or 6, and I found the SS to be slightly too mild for my taste.

Just picked up what looks like a 40s super speed on the bay, cant wait to try it out. Here Not sure if they came in this case or not. Also can not wait to use the NOS blades.

Don't know anything about that tank, but going from an HD to a Superpseed, even the HD Rocket was a downgrade for me in terms of robustness and weight. What you been using up to now? A 34c's much heavier than a 40's Superspeed and as far a Barberpole HD, that makes any SS look at bit wimpy. Having said that, they are extemely well made IMO

Chip the chrome on that Merkur and and the head will corrode into black crud in a short time while the Super speed will just develop a nice patina.

I have a few 40s SS and think that the razor really was not improved beyond their era. not only are they to my eye the perfect looking razor, they shave as good as any and better than most. IMHO:thumbup1:

Chip the chrome on that Merkur and and the head will corrode into black crud in a short time while the Super speed will just develop a nice patina.

I think you might very well be right about that, CCB, tho slightly over-stating for effect. But as far as I know the "uber-HD", i.e. the Muhle R89 is solid brass and won't.

Okay. Did my first shave with one of the undated 40's era super speeds this morning. Jeez is that a smooth shave. I changed nothing other than the razor and it took me about half as long to get the same or better results as I normally get with either my slim or tech. It has a very intuitive feel to it and the blade angle seems to be a perfect compromise.

This may be the single most undervalued razor on the market today.

Top Bottom