What's new

The hairs on my chiney chin chin

Hi Gents,

I have recently ditched the mach3 and am delving into the pleasures of true wet shaving.

I am using a Merkur Vision with Merkur blades. Rooney 1/2 finest brush. SRD essential oil soap and getting what I think is a good lather.

I am getting a really nice shave overall in 2 or 3 passes and only getting a couple of minor nicks. But - I am having the most difficult (scarey) time on the tip of my chin. My beard is particularly coarse there. I don't really know which setting to use on the Vision. I have been using long strokes elsewhere on my face but this is not possible here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to B&B!

As for the specific question, try pulling the skin up on your chin (either by sticking out your jaw as far as it will go and tightening your bottom lip, or grabbing your bottom lip and pulling up). This will move the stubble up, and you should be able to shave it with ease.

As for the rest of your post, a couple of pointers.

Short strokes are pretty much essential. By short, I usually do maybe 5cm (2in) max on the easy parts like my neck and cheeks, and much shorter around the detail areas of my jaw line, chin and around my sideburns.

I don't use an adjustable myself, but the general advice here is to start at 1 and keep cranking it up until it's uncomfortable and back it off a notch.

You may also want to try a blade sample pack - I've found that the Merkur blades are sharp, relatively long-lived, not very comfortable, and horribly expensive. There's better, for cheaper, available at many retailers. Popular choices around here are IP Reds ("Personna" blades, in a red pack, made in Israel, my current favourite), Derby Extras (comfortable shave, but not sharp enough for me), Astras (haven't personally tried these yet) and Feathers (haven't personally tried these yet, reputation of the sharpest blades around).

Welcome to B&B!

As for the specific question, try pulling the skin up on your chin (either by sticking out your jaw as far as it will go and tightening your bottom lip, or grabbing your bottom lip and pulling up). This will move the stubble up, and you should be able to shave it with ease.

As for the rest of your post, a couple of pointers.

Short strokes are pretty much essential. By short, I usually do maybe 5cm (2in) max on the easy parts like my neck and cheeks, and much shorter around the detail areas of my jaw line, chin and around my sideburns.

I don't use an adjustable myself, but the general advice here is to start at 1 and keep cranking it up until it's uncomfortable and back it off a notch.

You may also want to try a blade sample pack - I've found that the Merkur blades are sharp, relatively long-lived, not very comfortable, and horribly expensive. There's better, for cheaper, available at many retailers. Popular choices around here are IP Reds ("Personna" blades, in a red pack, made in Israel, my current favourite), Derby Extras (comfortable shave, but not sharp enough for me), Astras (haven't personally tried these yet) and Feathers (haven't personally tried these yet, reputation of the sharpest blades around).

Thanks mate!

I will give it a go again shortly. I have some Feathers, but I thought I would stick to the Merkur until I get more used to the whole thing.

I am going to try the TH Ultimate shave cream this time.

Cheers

Welcome and nice kit for a beginner.
+1 on the Feathers. Just have to be a little more careful and use a little less pressure but they are great. Still like the Swedes the best (Swedish Gillettes).

Chin is also the hardest for me I usually attack it with side strokes.

... okay, not a bad result just now. Blade is 3 shaves old - 4 now.

I used a little of the TH Ultimate cream on my wet face and jumped in the shower. While the bowl and Rooney finest sat in a basin of hot water. Washed, rinsed off the soap.

Post shower I and worked up a lather in a bowl. Plastered my face and set about NS with very very light pressure. Then ear to nose after another lather. I didn't go against the grain this time. A few gentle short EW and NS on the chin to touch up. Stretching as recommended.

A cold water wash down and a splash of TOBs Bay Rum! No nicks at all, not quite BBS but pretty damn smooth in most places.

Tomorrow I will use a fresh Merkur blade and try and keep this routine up for a week or 2, then switch to the feathers.

Cheers

PS I can see a straight razor beckoning in the future!!!:blink:

Last edited:
... okay, not a bad result just now. Blade is 3 shaves old - 4 now.

I used a little of the TH Ultimate cream on my wet face and jumped in the shower. While the bowl and Rooney finest sat in a basin of hot water. Washed, rinsed off the soap.

Post shower I and worked up a lather in a bowl. Plastered my face and set about NS with very very light pressure. Then ear to nose after another lather. I didn't go against the grain this time. A few gentle short EW and NS on the chin to touch up. Stretching as recommended.

A cold water wash down and a splash of TOBs Bay Rum! No nicks at all, not quite BBS but pretty damn smooth in most places.

Tomorrow I will use a fresh Merkur blade and try and keep this routine up for a week or 2, then switch to the feathers.

Cheers

PS I can see a straight razor beckoning in the future!!!:blink:

Sounds like a nice shave!

Welcome to the site Sounds like you are doing a bang up job. Very nice starter kit. Excellent choice in your selection to Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Shaving Cream. A favorite of mine. A suggestion to the wise, deep six those Merkur blades. Merkur blades not held in too high esteem around these parts. Unless you are one of the few individuals who actually enjoys shaving with them. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted on your progress. We love to read about success stories

Hi fellas,

I have 5 packs of Feathers that I picked up from a forumite here. Maybe I will make the jump to the feathers sooner if the Merkurs are not much chop.

Thanks for the warm welcome.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom