What's new

Mach3 no more

I had been thinking of switching to safety blade wet shave ever since I saw the price of the blades. After some research I found that the shave could possibly be much better than with a $2+ cartridge. I was looking for a Gillette reproduction and got lucky, I just inherited a Gillette 1953 Diplomat from my wife's Grandfather. I researched the forums quite a bit so my first shave was not very close, but with no nicks, had to shave 2x for a good shave. Since then I got in a hurry and have gotten nicked. Best advice from a newbie is just to let the weight of the shaver do the work, don't apply any additional pressure...shave 2x if necessary, and invest in a stypic stick...they do burn.

Welcome to B&B!

Aside from not using any pressure, make sure you prep properly. Check out Kyle's prep if you have not seen it yet.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9745

When you say shave 2 times, do you mean doing a second pass immediately after the first? If so, that is normal for shaving with a DE razor. You will need multiple passes. I have been using 3 passes recently...WTG, XTG, and ATG.

Welcome to B&B! Shaving with a DE if you're pressed for time is generally a Very Bad Thing (TM), as you've found out. Set aside 30 minutes (or more) for the shave, and you should be right. A lot of people here find that an un-hurried shave is quite meditative and stress-relieving, and helps them ease into the day (or ease into bed).

Welcome...I too took up DE shaving because I thought those Gilette Fusion cartridges were ridiculously expensive.

However it does take a little longer. Also I found the blade makes all the difference. Try Feathers or Gilettes(swedes). I have about a 100 crystal blades which are a good deal but they are sub par to the others I mentioned.

welcome aboard

i got into DE shaving as i'd been using electric for yrs, with poor shaves every day. but trying to use any of the cartridge systems and canned goo resulted in razor rash from hell and lots of ingrowns. :thumbdown:thumbdown

i can honestly say i've never been happier with my shaves. only 5 wks in and no problems - *no* irritation. good shaves - not great yet, but far better than any electric result and i am working on improving.

there is a slight learning curve, but just watch mantic's videos, go slow and use no pressure and you'll get there.

i actually look forward to my shaves now and sometimes wish i could shave twice a day. :thumbup1:

Don't think of it as 2x, think of it as passes and you should actually consider 3: WTG (with the grain), XTG (across the grain), ATG (against the grain). Once that's done you'll find that you got closer than you ever have with the cartridges. And after you improve your technique you'll be done in a few minutes, but you'll want to take your time because it's now an enjoyable process.

Welcome...I too took up DE shaving because I thought those Gilette Fusion cartridges were ridiculously expensive.

However it does take a little longer. Also I found the blade makes all the difference. Try Feathers or Gilettes(swedes). I have about a 100 crystal blades which are a good deal but they are sub par to the others I mentioned.

+1 and the feathers are for me the only way to shave now after many others graced my face.:biggrin1:

Top Bottom