What's new

Combe (Aqua Velva) company for sale

Just noticed this from a Yahoo news article. Link here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703558004574584383244267534.html?mod=WSJ_myyahoo_module

Here is the relevant section in case the link doesn't work straight:

Another consumer-products company recently put on the block is Combe Inc., said people familiar with the matter. The New York-based firm makes consumer-care products that have been sold for decades. Combe makes Just for Men and Grecian Formula hair-coloring products, Aqua Velva cologne, Brylcreem hair gel and Vagisil feminine products. The White Plains, N.Y., based firm has about 600 employees.

Morgan Stanley has been hired to run the auction for Combe, a family-owned business founded in 1949 and currently run by Christopher Combe.

The sales process is in its early stages, said these people, and no sales materials have yet been distributed.

Just for Men account for 40% of Combe's sales and many of those that have looked at purchasing it are most interested in that brand, said three people familiar with the matter. A Combe spokesperson was unavailable to comment.

"The rest of the brands are less interesting to most people," said one person who has looked at the company for a suitor. "Just for Men is what people want."

Just for Men is for sissies. :001_rolle Wear your grey proudly! :thumbup: Aqua Velva is for men! I hope we don't lose it! :cursing:

Dave

Last edited:
Just noticed this article in the Journal. I can't imagine AV going down the drain in an acquisition; it's a profitable product with ridiculously high brand recognition. But any time a family-owned business gets put on the block, anything can happen if the new owners decide to restructure. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. :a39:

So does this mean Williams will be reformulated

...wait for it......

INTO A PRODUCT THAT DOESN'T SMELL HORRIBLE, AND ACTUALLY WORKS??

:thumbup1::thumbup:

Last edited:
Guys, why be so dour and negative? Don't get so worked up about the new plastic bottle--look to the positive side...

AV will become... SHATTERPROOF!!!

Marty E.

"Aqua di Velva" now with mindless citrus scent!

"Williams Sport, or Williams Classic" in convenient aerosol cans!

"Carbon Neutral Lectric Shave" does nothing, but it's green!

:001_huh:

archivits are useful!

this series looks interesting:

Series I: Administrative Records (1888-1956) contains a small amount of records concerning the administrative and financial running of the company. These records include correspondence, annual reports, company newsletters, photographs, and the company history. The series contains numerous proofs for advertisements which appeared in many prominent newspapers and magazines.

Top Bottom