What's new

How long a safety razor last?

How long a safety razor last? Five years, ten years, fifty year? A seller told me that a safety razor last about seven years because this is the time that last the screw of the safety razor. Is this true?

(Sorry about the language, Iam Spanish)

Well, half of my safety razors are about 60 years old and going strong! Saying that, I shouldn't think the modern Chinese ones will last that long. I expect the Merkurs might though.

Oh, and welcome to the forum and don't worry about your English, it's far better than my Spanish... Ask away of the members. No question is too stupid when you're new to the hobby.

Gareth

How long a safety razor last? Five years, ten years, fifty year? A seller told me that a safety razor last about seven years because this is the time that last the screw of the safety razor. Is this true?

(Sorry about the language, Iam Spanish)

Welcome!

Some of the safety razors I have are over 100 years old. No way to know how many years of actual use.

Well, half of my safety razors are about 60 years old and going strong! I expect the Merkurs might though.

The vintage Gillette's will probably last at least a couple hundred years, especially the 3 piece razors, as there is so little that can go wrong with them.

There are well worn Gillette Old Type razors that are over 100 years old, that are still going strong, and shave as well as the day they were made.

The Merkur's I would expect to last significantly less time than the vintage Gillette's. They are built out of inferior materials (pot metal vs. brass), and are not built to as high of a standard of excellence.

Your seller I guess thinks the threads will wear out, and they might eventually, but I think it will take far longer than seven years for this to occur.

Last edited:
Your seller I guess thinks the threads will wear out, and they might eventually, but I think it will take far longer than seven years for this to occur.
Bienvenido a B&B mi amigo :thumbup1:
I had better shave twice a day just to get value for money within those 7 years! BTW don't tell this to my art deco mekur copy circe 1920 okay? :thumbup1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I regularly shave with razors that are 40, 50, 60, and 70 years old. That's normal for these razors.

The Merkur's I would expect to last significantly less time than the vintage Gillette's. They are built out of inferior materials (pot metal vs. brass), and are not built to as high of a standard of excellence.

Were the vintage Merkur razors made out of a different material? I have seen several that have very little signs of wear and are at least 50 years old.

I think the oldest I have is approaching 100 as well. Come to think of it, I have multiblade Gillettes that are 20+ years old and still working.

I'm calling bs on this 7 year thing.

Depends. :001_tongu

• maintenance
  • lifetime of springs (think of the Merkur Progress)
  • design of the razor (three piece razors in general last longer than any with moving parts)
  • wear

I am currently using an 88 year old Gillette...Works like new! I am quite sure it will outlast me!!

cc

I have some that are over 80 years old. TTO's that have more mechanics, are not as old, but the ones I have that are 50+ years old are still going strong. I have had them apart and the threads are like new. BS on 7 years if it is a Gillette.

Top Bottom