What's new

The Washington Redskins

Well, I don't know what to say now... Rex Grossman just served me a slice of humble pie. Of course, it was against a lousy Dallas team and we still lost, but it was a pretty good performance...

Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut from now on...

I saw the stats from that game and thought the same thing.

Then I watched the game...

Grossman is who we thought he was.
If the Cowgirls D hadnt played their worst game of the season and the zebras hadnt been blind and in qb-protection mode, that game would not have been as "close" as it were.

The Redskins is, at this moment in time, an even worse soap-opera than the Jets, Vikings and Bengals rolled into one...
I cant take it anymore. Im going on a redskins-media blackout.
My head hurts.

And back to the top we go! Well, the thread goes back to the top. The Skins are on top of the NFC East this week. I don't expect them to remain there, but hey, we'll always have Week 1.

I think the Giants are going to have a losing season. I can see them sitting at the bottom of the NFC East.

As a Bears fan, I am sorry to learn that Grossman is quarterbacking the Redskins. It's only a matter of time before Bad Rex shows up. Half a season of Good Rex/Bad Rex will make your head spin. Once you see terrible passes straight to the defenders, run for cover because it will be a bad day.

Oh, I think we all know it may be coming.

The funny thing about the game yesterday was the commentary by Aikman and Buck about Grossman, which pretty much was tantamount to, "Wow, this is really incredible, he's NOT sucking!" Actually, it was more like, "Wow, this is really incredible, the Redskins are NOT sucking!"

I'm not optimistic, to be honest. I'm supportive, but right now I'm not optimistic. I can't allow myself to be. I think the Giants are going to be terrible this year, so I think that has some to do with it.

Still, it was nice to see us get a win at home on 9/11.

Seeing this thread here just made my evening. I've been scoping this section of the forum out for the past week or so, amazed to not see one single thread on football. What is the first thread that finally pops up? A Redskins thread! So awesome.

About Grossman and the game yesterday; I am still very excited about how well they did. Yes, we've been excited like this plenty of times in the past decade only to have our feelings do a complete 180 by mid-season but it's hard to not be happy right now as a fan, especially with a win against the Giants. The icing on the cake would have to be the way the Cowboys game ended last night!!!!!! :lol1:

Sunday was a good day. :001_smile

Last edited:
I don't live in the Washington area anymore, but I was talking to my Mom and she was telling me that down there they're talking as though we just won the Super Bowl and my reaction was that it's just as it's always been. You'll be hard pressed to find a more optimistic lot than Washington Redskins fans. We could be 2-7 and the fans would be talking, "You know, it's not impossible that we win the next seven and get the wild card spot..." We could be fielding a team of junior varsity high schoolers and the fans would be talking, "You know, I know they're only 15 and 16, but I really think we've got a shot at this thing. I can see us at least winning the division!"

I try to insulate myself from this, but every year I somehow get swept into it. Even now that I live in New York. Last year I went into the season thinking we would be awful. Then we beat the Cowboys and out of nowhere I was all, "All right, let's do this!!!!!!!" I'm doing my absolute best to be pessimistic this year no matter what our record is. I don't care if we're 16-0, I'm assuming we get crushed in the second round. I won't buy into the Washington hype! My spirit cannot take it anymore.

I don't know why there isn't a general football thread. I've been here since 2007 and there've always been football threads. Maybe the guys are too busy shaving and don't realize the lockout ended.

Another painful game to watch. The defense is playing very well but they need to start capitalizing on the opportunities that they are getting and score some more points.

The problem with living in New York is that I have to watch the New York Jets.

I'm glad we won even if it was ugly!
I was in the same boat as you. I just found a stream online and hooked the laptop up to the tv and watched it that way. The quality wasn't the greatest but it was better then nothing.

What a crazy game. Glad they were able to overcome a lot of the mistakes and pull out of there with a win!

I knew that would happen. Every time I think I'm in, they pull me right back out!

Seriously, we're better than I thought we'd be. Given that the Eagles are not very good and the Giants and Cowboys are pretty mediocre, as well, the NFC East should be interesting.

I knew that would happen. Every time I think I'm in, they pull me right back out!

Seriously, we're better than I thought we'd be. Given that the Eagles are not very good and the Giants and Cowboys are pretty mediocre, as well, the NFC East should be interesting.

As a loyal Giants fan, I need to modify your post a little. The Giants need to improve pretty dramatically before they can attain mediocrity. Sure, they beat up on the Eagles (which is nice, but not as difficult as I thought it would be at the start of the year), but with the Manning/Coughlin duo, they'll be just as bad as they've been in years passed.

Of course, I still wouldn't trade Manning for Grossman.

As a loyal Giants fan, I need to modify your post a little. The Giants need to improve pretty dramatically before they can attain mediocrity. Sure, they beat up on the Eagles (which is nice, but not as difficult as I thought it would be at the start of the year), but with the Manning/Coughlin duo, they'll be just as bad as they've been in years passed.

Of course, I still wouldn't trade Manning for Grossman.

How can you live in Minnesota when you have such a New York attitude?!?!

That duo won you guys a Super Bowl! Manning is not a bad quarterback. The New York media is just nuts. I would take Manning/Coughlin over Sanchez/Ryan.

And yes, Grossman is... not so good. He's not awful, but he's not so good. He's sort of a Trent Dilfer.

Well, she's got a legitimate concern. Not only the Vikings stink, but they're old men, so they're going to have to go through a rebuilding phase real soon. The window closed last season. I don't understand Adrian Peterson's desire to stay there. I guess the money, obviously; but he could get big money elsewhere, on a team that has a brighter future. Running backs don't last very long, so you have to figure that this is his last big, lengthy contract.

The difference between Giants and Redskins fans is huge. Redskins fans are the most optimistic lot I've been around. If the Giants are 5-7, Giants' fans are calling for Coughlin to be sent to the Guillotine, cursing John Mara, eviscerating Eli Manning and basically demanding a total team overhaul. If the Redskins are 0-7, Skins' fans are still thinking, "You know, it's not out of the question that we win the next nine and get the Wild Card!" This is, honestly, not a great thing. If we were harder on Snyder, we might not have had to endure the past 20 years of ineptitude.

If we were harder on Snyder, we might not have had to endure the past 20 years of ineptitude.

At least he's willing to spend the money to try to put a team together. The Giants lost a ton of free agents this past off season. And I have no idea why they let Smith slip away to the Eagles.

BTW, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Not a problem. I like to talk football. I'm a fan of the sport, not just the Skins.

I agree that the Giants had a bad off season, but that's more the fault of Jerry Reese than Tom Coughlin (and it's certainly not Manning's fault). Reese had a stellar draft in 2007, but he hasn't been that great since. He hasn't been bad, though. He did grab Hakeem Nicks and Jason Pierre-Paul. I'd bet that Amukamura will be good when he's back. The failure to re-sign Kevin Boss and Steve Smith were mistakes. My understanding is that the Giants did not have sufficient information about Smith's return date. They thought it was possible that he'd miss the season and he's already been playing. I don't know whose fault that is, but it was a blunder.

Eli is a good quarterback. I don't think the Eagles are going to be anywhere near as good as anyone predicted, but you can't ignore that their secondary has three Pro Bowl corners and that two of them (Samuels and Asomugah) are probably top five, if not top three (the other one would be Revis, who I think is numero uno), corners. Eli threw for four TD's against them and he didn't even have his number two wide out, Mario Manningham. He may not be big bro Peyton, but I'd take him over any other QB in the NFC East. I don't care what ESPN wants me to believe about Michael Vick. And yes, I'd definitely take him over the Gross Man.

I honestly think he's our best back. He had some outstanding games last year. I like Hightower, since he's from the D.C. area and he seems like a good, down to earth guy, but I think Torrain is our best option.

I cannot believe the Redskins are number one in the NFC East after four weeks. I don't expect this to last, but it's really incredible. And I do not trust Grossman at all. Those two picks... Man, I text my Dad when were up 17-0 that, "This is a welcome change!" because, for once we were not only winning, but also soundly beating the opposing team. So of course the Rams score ten straight and it comes down to the wire just to make me a nervous wreck.

Oh, and as I said: Eli Manning > Mark Sanchez. All day, every day, any day. Eli tells me he wants an apology, dklaiman. Missed call/bad call aside, he won that game.

I honestly think he's our best back. He had some outstanding games last year. I like Hightower, since he's from the D.C. area and he seems like a good, down to earth guy, but I think Torrain is our best option.

I cannot believe the Redskins are number one in the NFC East after four weeks. I don't expect this to last, but it's really incredible. And I do not trust Grossman at all. Those two picks... Man, I text my Dad when were up 17-0 that, "This is a welcome change!" because, for once we were not only winning, but also soundly beating the opposing team. So of course the Rams score ten straight and it comes down to the wire just to make me a nervous wreck.

Oh, and as I said: Eli Manning > Mark Sanchez. All day, every day, any day. Eli tells me he wants an apology, dklaiman. Missed call/bad call aside, he won that game.
The one pick wasn't Grossman's fault. It hit Moss right in the hands. Either way, INTs are going to happen and I don't see Grossman having a bigger issue with them this year then many other QBs, yet he is constantly getting ragged on for it. Perfect example is Romo and his 3 INTs today with 2 being returned for 6 and yet ESPN and the NFL network try their hardest to turn him into a hero. If Grossman did the same thing, he'd be seen in a different light. Personally, I'm fine with Grossman right now and am more concerned with the red zone play calling. They need to get better at producing more points because even though the defense is playing phenominal right now, you can't keep expecting them to save the day every week.

Top Bottom