What's new

IS IT WORTH replacing a good DE with a good STR8?

Hi guys, I need an advice.

I have got a "Merkur Futur" DE razor, which is adjustable and is considered to be a very good razor. I also use good blades (Merkur and Israeli Persona).

Since Christmas is coming, I am considering if I should get a str8 razor for about 150 USD from the Santa Claus.

REASONS
I find DE shaving very good, especially the great shaves with absolutely clean face, but I somehow started to think that there is more romance shaving with a cut throat - just like our grandparents used to get shaved in the barber shops.

COULD anyone give me a honest advice - is it really worth buying a str8 and ALL THE EQUIPMENT (good hone, good strop) + learning the technique. WILL IT relly give me a great baby but shave?
Please have in mind that I do like this conceptual part of str8 razor shaving (I mean the idea itself), but is it wort it?
THE MAIN IDEA OF THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAD A CHANCE to start it all over again - would you have bought a st8 in the first place?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
it's horses for courses i'm afraid
only you can decide
you should get a shave ready blade on the forum to try it before you jump in
it will prob take a few months to master any sort of BBS
if it is nagging at you now, give it a shot even if it's just to get it out of your system,
P.S it is not as difficult as some people make out :thumbup1:

As the owner/user of 20 some straight razors, my answer is YES :w00t:

Will you enjoy a better shave? Not at first, perhaps never, but you will enjoy a unique shaving experience.

If I could start all over again I would have skipped DE all together. The straight doesn't have to be expensive, and you don't have to have rooms full of hones, strops, and the such. Here's and example...

At SRD Dovo Best Quality and Strop, 105 right now I think with lifetime honing. Barbers hone (< 30 bucks) from the bay and your set.

I started with DEs then to str8s and now back to DEs. I would keep the Futur and try a SR str8. I would not spend $150 on a str8 however unless you know that it will hold it's value should you wish to sell later. You should be able to get a nice SR str8 from folks here for a lot less than $150.

Is it worth it? My gut says no. I am enjoying the straights I have (I'm very new), even though my shaves are not yet any good with a straight. I view it as an optional hobby, whereas DE shaving is not optional: it's necessary. I'd be lost without my DE since, for the next five or ten years, my time in the mornings will always be short.

I expect that the straight razor guys who love their shaves (and there are many of them) are all correct that they get better shaves, it's more enjoyable, etc. But, if you are on the fence, my gut says do not spend $150 just to find out if you're willing to learn the straight shaving skills.

I'm in the same boat you are. Well, perhaps a few steps ahead. I have a straight and a strop and I'm trying to learn how to use both. I'd say if it's burning at you, give it a try. I recomend getting a gold dollar shave ready razor and strop from RupRazor for $60. It's a good starter kit with low investment. If you find you like it, there are hundreds of dollars to be spent on razors, strops, hones, etc. if you want.

I'd also suggest checking out Straight Razor Place. It's a smaller forum than Badger and Blade, but it's pretty much all straight razor folks. I think most, if not all, of the straight razor folks at Badger and Blade also hang out there.

Good luck. You're in for quite an adventure.

I'm glad I started with DE's. Helped me focus on lather and other things while not worrying about taking off an earlobe. :biggrin1:

If you are wondering about it, I'd at least give it a try. It's the only way you'll know if it is for you.

I'm glad I started with DE's. Helped me focus on lather and other things while not worrying about taking off an earlobe. :biggrin1:

If you are wondering about it, I'd at least give it a try. It's the only way you'll know if it is for you.

I think I most agree with this position. The transition to DE from cartridges wasn't difficult and allowed me to learn all the good habits necessary for a comfortable shave without a modern cartridge razor: prep, patience, and products.

With all that under my belt, the transition from DE to straight was actually very simple. I was able to focus on the blade use and not worry about the rest. I haven't looked back.

Dave

I think I most agree with this position. The transition to DE from cartridges wasn't difficult and allowed me to learn all the good habits necessary for a comfortable shave without a modern cartridge razor: prep, patience, and products.

With all that under my belt, the transition from DE to straight was actually very simple. I was able to focus on the blade use and not worry about the rest. I haven't looked back.

Dave
I'd agree with these gents. I started out with electric shavers, then cartridge, and eventually DE/SE/Injector (RetroRazor got me hooked...), and am now a happy straight shaver who uses a safety razor less than I do a straight.

always regret what you have done NOT what you have not done

Try a straight alongside the futur.

Buy razor + strop (use them correctly) you should not need a hone for a while

Consider not having a hone and sending razor to a honemeister periodically

Either way there are options

I bet there are people who might loan you a starter razor

Bottom line you will not know what it is like til you have tried

Does it give you a better shave - you decide

I think personally it is so much more fun

Straight Razors
-More investment
-Longer learning Curve
-More risk
-More fun

Safety Razors
-Less investment
-Less learning curve
-Less Risk
-Less fun

just my humble opinion
:thumbup1:

I am a full time straight razor guy but I tried a DE shave the other day just for the sake of trying out a very nice Aristrocrat I found. The verdict - I didn't get anywhere near as good a shave as I do with a straight and it wasn't nearly as fun. I would say make the jump at your earliest opportunity!!:w00t:

I've fought with this one myself. What killed the straight razor for me was the whole "learn to hone yourself or mail a 150 dollar razor away twice a year to a complete stranger and trust he'll sharpen it and return it to you" thing. Still, I really felt the need to at least TRY something like a straight razor so I have a dovo shavette coming this christmas. I know it's not the same, but it's at least similar. If I realize that I hate this style of shaving at least it was only 40 bucks wasted. Maybe this might be a good idea for you?

Straight Razors
-More investment
-Longer learning Curve
-More risk
-More fun

Safety Razors
-Less investment
-Less learning curve
-Less Risk
-Less fun

just my humble opinion
:thumbup1:

I agree with this for the most part. Straights could be cheaper in the long run, but SRAD kicking in is virtually guaranteed :tongue_sm

I've fought with this one myself. What killed the straight razor for me was the whole "learn to hone yourself or mail a 150 dollar razor away twice a year to a complete stranger and trust he'll sharpen it and return it to you" thing. Still, I really felt the need to at least TRY something like a straight razor so I have a dovo shavette coming this christmas. I know it's not the same, but it's at least similar. If I realize that I hate this style of shaving at least it was only 40 bucks wasted. Maybe this might be a good idea for you?

FWIW, all you really need to maintain a razor that starts shave ready is a barbers hone (cheap on eBay) and a strop. That setup will keep a straight razor sharp for years (we're talking few strokes). Learning to full out hone working through a progression or pyramid taking a razor from really dull through bevel setting and final polishing is NOT a requirement for straight shaving.

I know members that have even taken a razor from dull to shave ready with a strop only (not common, but apparently doable :tongue_sm)

To the OP. Yes it's worth it in my opinion. The best thing is that you are virtually assured of recouping most of your investment through selling it on the BST if it doesn't work out for you... Plus, there are members who'll do free honing for newbies while they are learning. Best of luck with your decision! Also, in time, you'll get to the point that you can get great straight shaves in 10-15 minutes. The time element is more of an issue when learning than it is later.

Last edited:
I like both. On most mornings I do a couple passes with a straight and then clean up with a DE. If I'm in a hurry, I just use the DE. I wouldn't want to give up either one.

I use both.. when i have time i enjoy a nice str8 shave. when i have less time i use my DE. If you are going to invest in a str8,by a vintage. You can always resell it for what you paid for on the B/S/T.

Yes, use both. You'll find if you prefer one or the other after some time. Yes, some time. It takes some time to really learn straight shaving. At least it is being some bit of time for me. I'm getting acceptable shaves, but my DE shaves are better. I'm still learning. But, it is an experience. An enjoyable one. Totally different. Well worth trying out. Just be patient and keep at it. Don't get rid of anything yet, if ever.

Top Bottom