What's new

Chai...anyone else enjoy it?

I've been drinking chai now for about 5 years. It's now become my favorite way of enjoying tea, but because of the work involved of preparing it on the stove I don't make it an everyday thing. But still, it's a wonderful drink. Sweet, spicy, wonderfully warming, and it's great for a sore throat.

The best way to have it is of course to prepare it yourself, but I also have to give props to the Tazo Chai concentrate stuff. When I first tried it I was skeptical but it quickly proved me wrong. It tastes very close to authentic chai, and when I have it in the house I tend to drink it every morning, except when I make my own chai on weekends.

I've been known to have some. My neighbor, who was born in India, makes a mean Chai. Usually makes it after we share a meal. Excellent stuff.

Chai is great when Texas winter winds begin to blow. Strong, spicy and a bit on the sweet side is the way to go.

Do you guys prepare your own?

I am a chai drinker too :w00t:! I mostly make it on weekends particularly when the weather is cold. I follow a very simplified approach.

Soy milk in a sauce pan + chai (tea leaves and spices - adjust according to preference). I like getting my chai's here. Slowly heat to avoid milk over boiling (I generally stir with a wooden spoon). When the mixture has reached a low-boil point where the leaves are moving around (without over-flowing of course), I consider that the cruise control point. I let the low-boil continue until the mixture gets a dark color. That can take 8 to 10 minutes. Usually, I actively monitor the whole process. Seeing the opened leaves moving around in the soy milk is a good sign it is ready to be consumed. This takes all and all about 15 to 20 minutes from start to finish. Add sugar if desired.

I know there are many different ways of preparing it. My sister-in-law showed me one where water is boil, tea leaves + spices are added and boiled for a bit. Milk or cream is added and then the whole mixture is re-boiled again. I heard there a recipes that can take all afternoon to make. Like many popular recipes (pasta sauces comes to mind), every (South Asian) family has their own recipes and way of preparing it. It is all good :biggrin:!

I enjoy chai tea, but I get mine from a bag, Yogi chai black made with organic Assam tea. Never had the real deal, but it's good enough for the girls I go with.

The Yogi chai black is one of the better bagged ones, IMO. So good choice. :thumbup1:

But I highly recommend having the real deal one of these days. The difference is like night and day.

I've tried a lot of different ways of preparing it,adjusting boiling/simmer times, etc. There's a lot of different viewpoints on how many times you boil the mix, how long you simmer, the ratio of water to milk/tea to spice, etc. But most of the time I fall back on this simple procedure:

1 tblsp tea
1 tblsp chai spice
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup milk

Boil tea and spices, then reduce heat and let steep for 5 minutes (or let simmer), add milk and boil again till just before it rises. Then strain it and sweeten to taste. This makes a couple of servings.

I've tried a lot of different ways of preparing it,adjusting boiling/simmer times, etc. There's a lot of different viewpoints on how many times you boil the mix, how long you simmer, the ratio of water to milk/tea to spice, etc. But most of the time I fall back on this simple procedure:

1 tblsp tea
1 tblsp chai spice
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup milk

Boil tea and spices, then reduce heat and let steep for 5 minutes (or let simmer), add milk and boil again till just before it rises. Then strain it and sweeten to taste. This makes a couple of servings.

Will have to try this approach. What kind of milk do you use?

I'd get drunk of chai if I could.

Anyways, as far as bagged goes, loving the Stash and Yogi brands :)

I have several loose brands in the closet.

Top Bottom