What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

American Hustle. I liked it but less so than I thought I would based on all the buzz and hype surrounding the movie. I had kind of hoped that it would capture the vibe of the 70's as well as Boogie Nights did but I thought it fell short of that. I don't see myself wanting to see it again somewhere down the road.

My wife, daughter and now myself as well have been sick for a week and this movie has been on repeat for much of that time. To be honest, I like it a lot, and i'm not someone that has watched a lot of kid movies (this is changing). Yes I'm pretty tired of it, but i think the adventure, characters, music, message, etc are all well done.

Kids are a great excuse to watch kid movies though there are so many good ones out there, there's no need to feel guilty about watching them even if you don't have kids. Some of my favorites over the years: The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., Kiki's Delivery Service, My NeighborTotoro, Howl's Moving Castle, Toy Story, Ratatouille, Spirited Away, Finding Nemo, Shrek.......

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
American Hustle. I liked it but less so than I thought I would based on all the buzz and hype surrounding the movie. I had kind of hoped that it would capture the vibe of the 70's as well as Boogie Nights did but I thought it fell short of that. I don't see myself wanting to see it again somewhere down the road.
"Vibe of the 70's". A very great statement, that only those who were there would understand. Anything was possible then.

On edit: prior to that, we landed men on the moon. We hit our zenith with that.

The Hunter. Willem Dafoe was pretty good in it, but the story is very sad and a total downer. :crying:

C'mon, Australia. Make a few silly / happy movies. Whatever happened to the guy who made Young Einstein?

"The Castle" works for me, as does Strictly Ballroom. Do the Crocodile Dundee movies count?

The Hunter. Willem Dafoe was pretty good in it, but the story is very sad and a total downer. :crying:

C'mon, Australia. Make a few silly / happy movies. Whatever happened to the guy who made Young Einstein?

It was, but i think it was still a very good film.

"The Castle" works for me, as does Strictly Ballroom. Do the Crocodile Dundee movies count?

They certainly count as silly. :001_smile The last Australian movie I watched before The Hunter was some sort of blood-and-guts slasher movie where the body count rivaled Sylvester Stallone. Good flick, but my Lord, it was grim and brutal. And before that was the Eric Bana movie where he cuts an ear off while in prison. The Aussie filmmakers need to pop open a few Fosters, and chill out.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They certainly count as silly. :001_smile The last Australian movie I watched before The Hunter was some sort of blood-and-guts slasher movie where the body count rivaled Sylvester Stallone. Good flick, but my Lord, it was grim and brutal. And before that was the Eric Bana movie where he cuts an ear off while in prison. The Aussie filmmakers need to pop open a few Fosters, and chill out.

They only export that swill, they don't drink it :biggrin:

Captain America The Winter Soldier

I usually write up a review, but it seems that this film has a few spoilers in the plot for people that watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

With that said, i HIGHLY recommend it. I think it's the best sequel from the recent marvel movies. Better than Thor 2, Iron man 2 & 3, etc.

9/10

Would you remember the name of this movie? I think I'd enjoy it.

The Turning Point. I first saw this in college around '78 or '79 and I think it is what was responsible for giving me an appreciation for the ballet. The story line behind the dancing was somewhat heavy handed at times but it was the performances and the look behind the scenes of the American Ballet Theater which is what I found most interesting. It also featured Mikhail Baryshnikov in his prime in his 20's.

My coworker has control of the remote, so it's going to be a Disney day. I'm a bit ashamed to say that while watching 101 Dalmations I exclaimed "Holy smokes! Mr Weasley and Dr House are burglars!" I wished I could say that this is a rare occurrence, but I would be lying. :blushing:

Would you remember the name of this movie? I think I'd enjoy it.

Sorry, it completely escapes me. I'm pretty sure it was made in the last few years. The premise is a regular Joe gets a video tape of his daughter being raped by a gang of drug dealers, and he goes on a revenge-fueled killing spree when he discovers that she is dead. Or something very much like that. Some torture scenes, lots of brutality. If I remember right he wipes out the entire gang in very graphic fashion.

Sorry, it completely escapes me. I'm pretty sure it was made in the last few years. The premise is a regular Joe gets a video tape of his daughter being raped by a gang of drug dealers, and he goes on a revenge-fueled killing spree when he discovers that she is dead. Or something very much like that. Some torture scenes, lots of brutality. If I remember right he wipes out the entire gang in very graphic fashion.

It's gotta be this one:

after watching the Vengeance Trilogy, this is right up my alley either way and I'm now on a quest to find it. :w00t:

Last edited by a moderator:
Blood Ties (2013)

not bad at all, i really liked it.. i think it deserves more than a 6.4 rating.

$MV5BMTM5NDc5NTc5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDA2MjMwMTE@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Top Bottom