What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

CBGB, with Alan Rickman as Hilly Kristal. I feel like the movie should have been better for the times and subject matter it portrays.

"The Party" from 1968. Another classic Peter Sellers/Blake Edwards movie. The first half of the film makes me laugh so hard, it's worth the sophomoric ending.

Flashdance - This movie did not age well but I'm guessing I was in a bit of a different frame of mind 30 some years ago.

30 some years ago = "Wow, Jennifer Beals is hot!"

Now = "What?!? She's only 18, that attractive, working as a welder and dancing in a dumpy bar with dreams of being a professional dancer? How could she not constantly be hit on by the guys she works with and how is she still single? And what kind of dumpy bar in a steel town is going to have dancers whose clothes stay on while performing dances that have such a high production value? This is pretty lame!"

Last edited:
MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S - Eric Rohmer reinvented the way we think about French films with his "moral tales" - and this installment is thought to be a classic. Jean-Louis (Jean-Louis Trintignant) is a committed Catholic whose priories change when he meets a lovely, smart woman (Francoise Fabian) who's also deeply independent. Will Jean-Louis choose Maud, or the pretty blonde he meets at church? The open-ended script (which was nominated for an Oscar) may be a bit wordy, but it's penetrating and honest.

I see a lot of movies.

THE LEGO MOVIE - This has a cast to die for (Will Arnedt, Morgan Freeman, Will Ferrell, Will Forte as Abraham Lincoln, Jonah Hill as Green Lanternl, Niam Neeson, Channing Tatum as Superman, and much more). This is a clever, sometimes dizzying adventure film with all sorts of cool references, the whole thing composed of Legos. Everything. *** of four

Julius Caesar - This is mentioned as one of the best Shakespeare adaptations on film, and it has a cast that's to die for (Marlon Brando, James Mason, John Geilgud...). The digital transfer was flawless. I'm glad I finally saw this.
***1/2 stars of four

I am putting that my list to watch. I gotta ask for 4/4 recommendations? :001_smile

Not sure if this qualifies as a movie, but I watched THE TEMPEST with Christopher Plummer, which was filmed at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in 2010. I'm going to be playing Prospero at a theater in Hershey later this summer, so I've been using this film to study how a great actor like Plummer would attack the part.

Last edited by a moderator:
NON-STOP - An airplane security officer (Liam Neeson) discovers that the plane he's on is the focus of a death threat - and a passenger will killed every twenty minutes until someone forks up millions in cash. The plot is a bit shaky, but it keeps your attention throughout.

Anchorman 2 - right up there with one of the biggest wastes of time and effort in the histrory of big budget cinema. simply dire from top to bottom.

Iron Sky - Not quite campy enough or terrible enough to be good, but mildly enjoyable at times. Parodying the rant scene from Downfall was a stroke of comic genius. Completely smitten by Julia Dietze by the end.

THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL - Guests eat dinner at an expensive manor, but find that for some reason, they can't leave the living room. One man dies, and is sealed in a closet. Another takes a pick-axl so they can get water through a wall pipe. Days pass; even the police can't get in or out. It's said that this film was the inspiration for THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE, which is equally unforgettable. ***1/2 of four

22 Jump Street. Unless it's a rainy day, you really want to see the exact same movie as 21 Jump Street, and/or your kids want to see it, there's no need to go. It did have some funny parts, but you're better off just watching 21 Jump Street again.

THE HIDDEN FORTRESS - Finally saw this vintage classic - a samurai-era adventure film that has a cache of hidden gold, a feisty princess, and Toshiro Mifune as a loyal retainer who tries to evade an aggressive opposing army. ***1/2 of four

Had another Tim Burton day with m'lady yesterday (she's a huge fan, but this was semi-unintentional).
Started with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the version with Johnny Depp. A lot closer to the book than the Gene Wilder version, which means it's a bit darker. I love both versions, but I have to say it- Depp is just creepy as Willy Wonka.
Inspired by the frequent Depp-Burton partnership, we decided to watch their first duet- Edward Scissorhands. Come to find, my fiancé has never actually seen it! Granted, the last time I saw it was at 5 years of age. It's very sad, and a scathing commentary on suburban life. I love it. It was interesting to see some of the design elements that I have come to associate as being Burton's signature style in their infant stages; the darkly whimsical figures and exaggerated characters gave almost-eerie presages of his later movies.
For something different, we put in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I didn't know Tim Burton was involved until I saw his name in the credits. We saw it in theaters, and loved it both then and now. How it manages to pull off the premise with a straight face, I have no idea; it does so quite well, however.

Top Bottom