What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

A Night at the Opera
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026778/?ref_=nv_sr_2

A Marx Brothers classic. Groucho called this one his favorite of all the movies that they made together.

I probably should have enjoyed this movie more than I did. It was OK, but I didn't get as many laughs out of it as I thought I would. In fact, I don't remember laughing at all.

TBT, I just put this on as background noise while I was doing other things around the house. The only time when I actually stopped what I was doing and watched with great detail was during the classic Stateroom Scene. I counted 13 people going in, although IMDB insists the count was 15.

The 2013 version. I didn't know this was a remake.
The original movie was made in 1947 ... based on a short-story by James Thurber written in 1939.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039808/?ref_=nv_sr_4

I don't think I ever saw the original movie, but I think I read the story many, many years ago. But when I saw the 2013 version, everything was fresh. Still, the use of modern tech in the movie like cellphones told me that it wasn't faithful to the original. Nor does it have to be.

But you're right, it was a great film, one of the best I've seen in recent years.

My wife talked me into a movie on Saturday. We went to see the Hundred-Foot Journey. I had seen the trailer and thought "oh well, it doesn't look like my typical action movie but I would give it a try" Very pleasantly surprised with the movie. It had good acting, a believable plot, was light hearted, funny and if you enjoy cooking and are a foodie it is worth seeing. I don't believe there was a single cuss word in the entire movie. I would recommend it.

My wife talked me into a movie on Saturday. We went to see the Hundred-Foot Journey. I had seen the trailer and thought "oh well, it doesn't look like my typical action movie but I would give it a try" Very pleasantly surprised with the movie. It had good acting, a believable plot, was light hearted, funny and if you enjoy cooking and are a foodie it is worth seeing. I don't believe there was a single cuss word in the entire movie. I would recommend it.

My wife and I saw it on Saturday, as well. Very nice movie. Plus 1 to your recommendations.

GODZILLA - This version of the popular franchise is the latest and maybe the best. Nearly zero humor, but the monsters were good, and the climactic fight in downtown San Francisco will capture your attention - though I thought the 1998 version was a little more entertaining, despite its flaws. *** of four

LOCAL HERO - A young oilman (Peter Reigert) flies to Scotland to set up a deal to buy an entire town for the gas rights, only to discover that life there works at a different (albeit slower) pace. I hadn't expected the film to have so many awkward sections, the humor so tired. Burt Lancaster is sullen and wooden - as usual. *1/2 of four

1976: hunt vs lauda (documentary) 8/10.

i wanted to watch this before the film rush. What a documentary, highly recommended. If the film follows the documentary though. I may have ruined the movie, but its ok.

Dogtown and Z boys, 10/10.

just a supercool in depth view on how skateboarding started. I remember as a young kid learning how to skate, and this brought back great memories. The film that came out some years ago, really capture the aura of that time almost perfect.

In a theater? Probably the original release of "Return of the Jedi".

The vast majority of modern movies aren't worth crossing the street to see. They're tailored for the ten-second attention span of the modern generation.

Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think Marvel has cracked the code and DC might be in trouble if they continue with making their movies darker. Liked the movie and saw how much strategy went into it. Brilliant move.

I took my one of my sons and one of his friends (with the other kid's parents' permission) to see "Let's Be Cops" It's predictable and totally inappropriate for teenagers (well, and adults), but I found myself laughing through most of it. If you have a high threshold for foul language and off color humor, I recommend it. Your teenage son will probably love it, too.

Man of steel, 8/10

It was my second time watching it, since i saw it in theaters. I understood the film better this time around, looking forward to the sequel.

Man of steel, 8/10

It was my second time watching it, since i saw it in theaters. I understood the film better this time around, looking forward to the sequel.

I liked a lot of the movie, too.

Christopher Nolan, the producer/scriptwriter, likes sound effects and loud noises, so many viewers will profit from subtitles - whether you're watching the film in a theater or on DVD.

But don't look for even a hint of humor from a Nolan project.

poikkeus, i agree.

sabotage, 6.5/10

This is a really effed up movie, betrayals all over the place. Kind of a darker arnold than what he's been playing lately. Decent action though. The film has alternate endings, and after reading about them. I liked the one that they showed.

Grudge Match, 9/10

I rated it that high, because i laughed a lot during this movie. Alan Arkin was killing it with his jokes.

The Sentinel (1977), guarding the gate to Hell isn't a fun job but someone's got to do it. Besides a well known cast it features some early appearances by Jeff Goldblum and Tom Behrenger.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Strayed too far from the book for my taste, and way too much CGI, even for a fantasy movie featuring a dragon. Didn't like it as much as the first Hobbit movie.

Top Bottom