What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

The SWMBO and I watched Gremlins with our 7 1/2 year old boy on Saturday night. It's been a long time since I've seen that. It actually holds up pretty well 25 years later I think.

The English Patient: I watched this with my Mom. We both thought it was awful. I don't get it. I really don't get it. What was good about it? I didn't sense any chemistry between Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas. I didn't find the Fiennes character likable at all. The Juliette Binoche scenes were dull. I didn't character a bit about any of the characters in the movie.

I always think of Elaine screaming out "I hate it" when watching this in Seinfeld. I've never seen it myself.

I always think of Elaine screaming out "I hate it" when watching this in Seinfeld. I've never seen it myself.

You should watch it and tell me what you think. I need another opinion. I just don't get it. It was a weak year for Best Picture nominees, but Ebert gave it four stars. It won 9 Oscars. I just don't get it. I was bored and I didn't care about the characters.

I remember you posting about this when I said that I had watched Lost in Translation. What did you think of the ending of Before Sunset? I thought it ended rather abruptly.

Actually, I liked the ending. It was ambiguous, but also not so.
I mean, you know that he stays. That they resume the romance, but you don't know what happens afterward. Do they just hook up again and go back to their lives? Or do they stay together this time? I like to think it's the latter, but who knows? It's difficult to have a conclusive ending, because the movie is too realistic. A more fictional movie would have them both single, or one of them widowed, or make it simple. They'd just get back together and that'd be it. But since he's married with children and she's with some guy, there's no simple solution. I dig the uncertainty.

Actually, I liked the ending. It was ambiguous, but also not so.
I mean, you know that he stays. That they resume the romance, but you don't know what happens afterward. Do they just hook up again and go back to their lives? Or do they stay together this time? I like to think it's the latter, but who knows? It's difficult to have a conclusive ending, because the movie is too realistic. A more fictional movie would have them both single, or one of them widowed, or make it simple. They'd just get back together and that'd be it. But since he's married with children and she's with some guy, there's no simple solution. I dig the uncertainty.

Good analysis. I just cannot believe he did not get out of the car on the way to his wedding. Whether or not he ever sent that Viennese barkeeper the money for the wine is still eating at me :lol:

The Red Baron, a 2008 German film that apparently bombed. It was okay, not much else. I was disappointed because there was such huge potential there for a great military drama / action movie.

The Girl Who Played with Fire. It is the second part of the Millennium Trilogy.
I actually enjoyed it more than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Just started The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest.

For the hell of it, wife and I watched Friday the 13th (2009 version) the other day...Cheesy but OK...I stopped watching this series after #2 (or 3) came out. What is it now? #75 :biggrin:? And between the prequels and sequels, one cannot keep up of what's happening anymore :lol:.

Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia

It had its moments but I think Peckinpah had a hangover during the writing and directing of this movie. A far cry from The Wild Bunch.

Top Bottom