What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Jersey Boys on 6/20 when it came out. I liked the movie, but I am 55, so I remember all the songs.

Before that, it was Lone Survivor. What a gut wrenching movie.

Harsh Times, 2/10

Just a terrible movie, david ayer hit a homerun when he wrote training day. But this one was just bad.

Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
Disjointed remake, crappy Zaphod, overly wet flannel Arthur Dent, miscast and not nearly rude enough Ford Prefect.....loved it.
Nearly cried with the final transformation of the improbability drive. Nice touch.

Lone Survivor; One of the few movies "based on actual events" that seemed to be played straight down the middle, laying out what happened as it happened There was no message or agenda within the story-telling, simply the enhanced dialogue and dramatization of events that come with normal movie making

The opening helped setup who these young men were, the main movie was intense and moved incredibly swift, plus the ending credits were moving - esp the epilogue. It was impressive to have so many current high profile actors disappear into character, so you never thought you were watching them playing a part.

Well filmed and directed

Dawn of the Planet of The Apes - I had a different reaction than a lot of people out there. I'm going with "underwhelmed" and "disappointed". There seemed to be a missing element that made it so I didn't really care or wasn't really emotionally invested in either the human or the ape characters. They were a bit heavy handed hammering on the good/bad, ape/human theme. I think they were a bit more interested in the action and displaying special effects than they were in story telling. The overabundance of one does not make up for lack of or shortage of the other. (The same syndrome suffered by the Transformers movies and the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels among many others.) I was looking at my watch before the end of the first hour. I thought maybe it was just me but my daughter felt the same way. Neither of us felt we could recommend it to anyone.

47 Ronin - if was better than I expected based on reviews. I thought it was well done and enjoyable traditional samurai story. I had a bit of a problem with Keanu... He didn't "fit" the part, although he did a decent job. I would recommend it if you like epics, or Ronin stories. It is slow at times but that matches the pace of the story - this is not av action film although it does have sone nice action scenes. beautifully filmed.

IZO - A killer wanders through time, cannot seem to die, yet is destined to suffer and kill as the centuries pass. One viewer put it right when he said it was like a Japanese take on Alejandro Jodorowsky's THE HOLY MOUNTAIN - except IZO is nearly a continuous ode to violence and existential meaning. Some astounding images, but maybe not Miike Takashi's best effort. *1/2 of four

Contact -- watched w/ my 12yo daughter, really great movie and opened up a lot of discussion points. Strong female lead as well which is always a plus.

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL - I saw this in a theater, and was only modestly impressed. However, on video, with added subtitles, the film makes more sense, is more entertaining, and a worthy introduction to the diverting writing of Stefan Zwieg. A worthy followup to personal Wes Anderson favorites MOONRISE KINGDOM and THE FANTASTIC MR FOX. Great soundtrack. ***1/2 of four

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom