What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I had a long weekend and definitely hit my goal of watching a ton of movies over that time:
It Happened One Night (1934) - This one is number 46 on The AFI's Top 100 List. Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable were both great. It also featured Alan Hale in a very small role. Take down the Walls of Jericho!

Sherlock Jr. (1924) - An early Buster Keaton film that was new to me. The special effects were pretty remarkable, especially for the time. The other movie on this blu-ray is Three Chances, so I have that to look forward to.

Haunted Spooks (1920) - This was a Harold Lloyd short that didn't quite live up to the title, but it was still enjoyable. Side note: while doing promos for this short, he lost the thumb and index finger of his right hand, which would lead to him using a "prosthetic (sp?) glove" in the rest of his shorts and movies.

Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966) - This is only the 3rd Dr. Who anything I have ever seen, so I am not sure how it stacks up with the rest of the landscape. I liked Cushing in the hero role, and one of the co-stars was a dead-ringer for a young Troy Aikmen, which cracked me up. Any thoughts on this one, Whovians?

Tower Heist (2011) - Review of this are mixed among my friends, but I liked it. It was nice to see Eddie Murphy not in a weak family movie.

Gulliver's Travels (2010) - Definitely uneven, but my son laughed at this one a lot, so mission accomplished.

Dracula (1931) - One of my favorites, and an idea choice to cap off my movie-fest weekend. BOO!

Dave

I had a long weekend and definitely hit my goal of watching a ton of movies over that time:
It Happened One Night (1934) - This one is number 46 on The AFI's Top 100 List. Claudette Colbert and Clark Gable were both great. It also featured Alan Hale in a very small role. Take down the Walls of Jericho!

That reminds me: I love the old Hollywood films from the production code days where the man and wife each sleep in separate twin beds at opposite sides of the bedroom. :lol:

Cache (Hidden): A French film directed by Michael Haneke. It's about a couple who receive videotapes of their daily life from an anonymous watcher. It's deeper than that, though. It was really good, but the ending will turn a lot of people off.

I have a friend who calls it "Full Metal Jacket" and "Full Metal Jacket II"- the only movie that comes with its own built in sucky sequel :001_smile

Aw, c'mon guys. There are some great lines in the second half of the film.

Door Gunner: Anyone who runs, is a VC. Anyone who stands still, is a well-disciplined VC!

Private Joker: How can you shoot women and children?
Door Gunner: Easy, you just don't lead em so much!

Private Joker: I wanted to see exotic Vietnam... the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!

Crazy Earl: These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly green giants, walking the Earth with guns. These people we wasted here today are the finest human beings we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world, we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth shooting.

Private Joker: The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Gran Torino.

That movie always gives me a craving for Pabst, Lucky Strikes and Red Man... and to tell people to get off my lawn.

Just saw the Avengers last weekend. Overall it was a good flick, could have been shortened 15-20 minutes without hurting it any.

Just watched Inglourious Basterds again last night on Blu Ray, what a great film.

Ref: Full Metal Jacket, I was recently in Bassingbourne, which you may not know, but that is where the first part of the film was shot. Of course the first thing I had to do when I got back was watch the film, you do recognise the buildings, and if you look at the road markings, they are all for driving on the left, they only put some US road signs up on the other side of the road. During WWII it was used by the USAAF, and it's where the real Memphis Belle was based. Incidentally, this camp is being closed and sold off later this year.

Just saw Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom last weekend. The best movie I've seen in years, and one that has restored my faith in the art of filmmaking.

Just saw Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom last weekend. The best movie I've seen in years, and one that has restored my faith in the art of filmmaking.

I like everything Wes Anderson has done. Saw the preview for this tonight. Might have to check it out.

I watched Prometheus, if you like to watch movies it plays out as an average but enjoyable flic let down by some plot holes and poor character development. If you like to think about movies, it's packed with imagery based on various religion's themes of sacrifice to give life that you can try to use to piece together the various questions it raises and come up with your own theories

Top Bottom